G25 and SRW-S1 Quick release

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by lasercutter, Oct 20, 2012.

1. lasercutter

lasercutter Registered

Hi, I don't post on forums very much these days but I thought this was worth a mention.
    I was fortunate enough to win an SRW-S1 Wheel a few months ago but although I was impressed with the build quality and the features of the wheel it never did more than decorate my wall ( I hung it on a nail one day and it just stayed there)
    The main problem was that there was no feedback at all, not even a rumble, and I have to have some feedback when driving.
    So when I saw the G25 quick release and the SRW-S1 adaptor it seemed that my problems were solved, it would also take care of the additional problem of using my keyboard with a wheel attached.

So this is my experience of the G25 quick release and the SRW-S1 adaptor which I ordered less than a week ago and now sits comfortably installed to my G25, it's not a review as such but more a shared experience which hopefully will help others should they decide to install this system.

First and foremost this system is not the cheapest solution out there, the total cost including express shipping from Spain to the UK was €199 (approx £166) however it is certainly a very well made piece of kit and has very close tolerances on all the parts which means there is no slop or rattle anywhere, it also had everything needed to complete the job as well as including some much needed spares.

As stated previously the order took less than a week in my case, this may vary from order to order depending on how busy Juan is, and it was extremely well packaged and presented which is not only nice to see but gives a very good first impression of the product you've just bought.

20121018_141141.jpg

Never being one to read instructions it was a mute point as there are none included, instead there are some very clear and easy to understand videos on Juans blog, at least they are clear and easy to understand now, but more on that later.
    If all you are doing is adding a quick release to your G25 then the job will take less than half an hour, the the job is very simple indeed, it takes no more than a couple of allen keys and a philips screwdriver or two and the jobs done.
    However if you are installing the SRW-S1 kit then you don't want to fit the quick release to the base just yet (I did and had to take it off again later)

One problem that I ran into was when I went to screw the release system to the wheel rim I couldn't find the three screws that were needed, I ended up scouring the garage, shed and every junk drawer in the house before finally discovering the 3 screws were packaged in with the SRW-S1 kit, maybe I should have checked there sooner but it just never occured to me.

After fitting the quick release to the G25 base and rim I turned my attention to the SRW-S1, there was only one option for me with regards to the install of the wheel and that was the "pro" install which means cutting the wheels lead, fitting a connector and attaching the adaptor plate.
    Now my eyesight is gradually getting worse, I need glasses to see up close now and they work great, but even with them on and using a magnifying glass the new connectors that need fitting are small, it's these parts that there are extras of and boy did I need them, this is without a doubt the most difficult and fiddly part of the job. Eventually though I got it all together and it's simply 6 screws to fit the quick release to the wheel.
    Plugging theel onto the base and firing up rFactor I set about configuring the wheel... and that's where my problems began.
    None of the buttons on the SRW-S1 would work, putting the G25 rim on and trying it was fine so it must be my wiring!!!
    To cut a very long story short, much checking and rechecking of wires, a lot of swearing and shouting, much wishing I'd never started I finally realised that I'd missed a stage.
    To enable the SRW-S1 wheel to work if you don't intend just leaving the original lead as it is then you need to use the cut off end to connect to the G25 base and quick release as in this video

This is why I needed to take off all the parts I'd fitted earlier, there wasn't a clear instruction on what order to do things in or in fact that the above stage is essential for the SRW-S1 wheel to work, however now you all know it will be so much easier when you fit yours.

So after 5 hours I finally finished, had I known about the screws I couldn't find and done things in the correct order it would probably have taken less than a couple. The end result was pleasing enough to make the time spent seem worthwhile though.

Something to consider is that the quick release moves the wheel a couple of inches closer to you and you might need to adjust it's postion to get it feeling right, also if you're fitting the SRW-S1 to your G25 it will end up with 2 USB leads when your finished so make sure you can plug both in.
    Also when configuring the SRW wheel the motion sensors still work and you may need to mess about a bit to get the wheel set up as you like it.

Here are some pictures of the finished job

DSCF2366.jpg DSCF2371.jpg DSCF2370.jpg DSCF2368.jpg DSCF2372.jpg DSCF2373.jpg DSCF2374.JPG

In conclusion I can say that although not cheap this is a well made kit that offers a great solution for space problems as well as adding superb functionality for the SRW-S1 wheel, using the wheel with rFactor is no problem and if you copy the plugins folder from the simraceway game over to rFactor the rpm lights work too (though sadly not the rotary switches) there is an app on the steelseries site that is supposed to enable the lights to work in F1 2011/12 but as yet I can't get those to work.
    If I could make some suggestions to improve the customer experience it would be firstly to package the parts required to complete the job in the correct boxes (or at least put a note in saying they are in the other box) secondly to highlight the order in which the job should be carried out (would have saved me a lot of time)

Overall, I'm a happy customer

The videos should be viewed in this order:-

Fitting SRW-S1 adaptor
    Adding second usb to G25 using off cut SRW-S1 lead
    Fitting G25 Quick release

2. enafox

enafox Registered

Hope your wheel is still running well? I'm waiting for my adapters to be delivered, I am doing it slightly differently.
    I have a spare G25 boss with paddles so that I can use them (I have already removed the plastic paddles from the SRW-S1).
    I have ordered 1 1/2 kits, Juan is posting them today, how long did yours take to arrive?
    View attachment 5733
    Waiting for installation :p

3. enafox

enafox Registered

Ok, arrived within 1 day, all installed, here is a pic of my slightly different installation to the standard one. View attachment 5762

4. Sven S. S. Svensson

Sven S. S. Svensson Registered

enafox, is there any special with connecting the adapter when i want to use my G25 paddles?

5. enafox

enafox Registered

You need to dismantle the wheel (all the buttons fall out!) then unscrew/remove the plastic paddles.
    I cut the plastic mouldings which held them in place so that when I screwed the wheel to the G25 "boss" the screws are flush.
    You must fit the boss first, then the wheel back, then fit the front without all the buttons falling out again (just hold it all upside down).
    If you do this mod remember you will only have 2 paddles, not 4 which some people want for the F1 clutch etc.
    Sorry if I have stated the obvious, but if you need me to take some pics of the inside let me know and i'll dismantle it and take some.

6. Sven S. S. Svensson

i'm using the clutch pedal..so this won't be an issue for me. ;)
    if you could take some pics, it would be cool.

If i get it right, your installation is srw -> G25 paddles -> QR -> G25 body ... correct?

thx in advance mate :cool:

7. enafox

enafox Registered

Sorry about pic quality, I'm using my phone.
    Yes, that is my installation, if you only intend to use the SRW-S1 wheel, you don't need the QR, you can screw it onto the G25 Boss/paddles.
    To use both wheels you should either find another G25 boss/paddles and buy the G25 QR and 1/2 G25 QR or get a G25 QR and a SRW-S1 QR keeping the SRW-S1 paddles. I was lucky to be given a broken G25 as even broken ones go for £100 on ebay.
    Hope this helps?

Can't attach at the moment, hold on.....

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2013
  8. enafox

enafox Registered

9. Sven S. S. Svensson

thx....i've already seen them, but forgot to repost.

10. lasercutter

lasercutter Registered

in case anyone was still interested in this the SRW-S1 wheel is now a bit cheaper, here are a few links

SRW-S1 wheel at overclockers £50 (plus P&P) www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GC-000-ST

for those in mainland europe... www.caseking.de/shop/catalog/SteelSeries...ng-Wheel::18330.html

and for any simraceway users an $80 bundle of 10 cars and the SRW-S1 wheel (no idea of country availability/delivery costs) www.simraceway.com/bundles/essential_srw...eel_bundle?locale=en

I would also add that since I did this mod I haven't touched the original G25 wheel and use only the SRW-S1 rim, in fact I just bought another wheel as a spare so should the one I'm currently using ever develope a fault I can replace it straight away as I'd hate to be without it now.

11. lasercutter

lasercutter Registered

12. HumanZob

HumanZob Registered

Hi !

This thread convince me to buy JZ Quick Release for SWR-S1 + the SWR-S1 wheel for my G25. Everything seems work with rF2 and it would be an awesome improvement about immersion to race with the same wheel as in the game (the SWR-S1 or the G25 wheel).

I can't wait to try it and switch between the wheels and the car. Thanks for all this informations mate.

13. vex123

vex123 Registered

Iv just received my quick release system from Juan. I am having some problems though... i got it all built up on my G27, including both USB cables (one for G27 and one for SRW-S1). I went to test the SRW-S1 out and noticed that it was constantly pressing buttons on its own... so i tried the G27 wheel out and that worked fine. I have no idea what is going on... any help will be greatly appreciated.

Below is a video showing exactly the same problem i have (it is not me in the video).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNPJmFgYcAg

14. Woodee

Woodee Registered

What are the alternatives (cheaper) options than using Juan's quick release adapter?