Fun race every full hour! (2nd poll)

Discussion in 'Online Racing Discussion' started by shiet, Nov 7, 2014.

?

Which car+track combo would you like to drive next?

Poll closed Nov 11, 2014.
  1. ISI Renault Clio @ ISI Autodromo di Mores

1 vote(s)
    3.8%
  2. ISI Renault Clio @ ISI Loch Drummond short

3 vote(s)
    11.5%
  3. ISI Renault Clio @ Putnam Park GP

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Spec Miata @ ISI Autodromo di Mores

2 vote(s)
    7.7%
  5. Spec Miata @ ISI Loch Drummond short

3 vote(s)
    11.5%
  6. Spec Miata @ Putnam Park GP

1 vote(s)
    3.8%
  7. ISI Skip Barber @ ISI Autodromo di Mores

7 vote(s)
    26.9%
  8. ISI Skip Barber @ ISI Loch Drummond short

4 vote(s)
    15.4%
  9. ISI Skip Barber @ Putnam Park GP

5 vote(s)
    19.2%
  1. shiet

shiet Registered

Thank you guys for the votes in the previous thread. We had 48 votes which is pretty good at first.

So as you may know I changed a bunch of things about the server in the previous days, so here is the (probably) final "version":

1. servername: "Fun race every full hour!"
    2. 30min qualify starts at xx:29 every hour. Obviously you can use this session to practice too.
    3. 25min race starts at xx:00 every hour
    4. the first car+track combo is: ISI Chevrolet Camaro GT3 @ Interlagos, this combo runs until 9th Nov night.
    5. no voting allowed
    6. you have to use your real (rFactor2 registration) name, this is a server setting.

+

7. the Getmod URL of ISI Sao Paulo track doesn't work, I checked it, every other car and track link works but not Sao Paulo so you can't download the track from the server (until they fix the URL), you have to install it first.
    8. IMPORTANT: if you can't join the server for whatever reason pls let me know and describe the error. Thx.

about 1.: it speaks for itself

about 2. and 3.: this is tricky. ISI doesn't provide us a dedicated server launcher which allows us to control the server timing so I have to use a script (http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.p...rol-(race-session-every-x-hours-like-iRacing)). Plus I have to use this weird timing (xx:29) because of the server delays between sessions.
    Also if there is nobody on the server when the race starts (xx:00) a new qualify session starts between xx:00 and xx:29 but this doesn't count as qualify and if you are on the server at xx:29 it will restart your session so don't be surprised. :) I'm sorry but we need better tools for better gaming.

About timing: I wanted a system which is structured and predictable. I hate when I join a server and I have no idea when does the race start. Or worse, I join the server when a race is running. Two days ago 6-7 of us were on the server and I saw when 2-4 other players were waiting just because they joined during the race and of course they left.
    Now you know exactly when the race session starts on the server and now you can organize races, not just one per week like in a league but you have multiple choices per day.

about 6.: when you enter the server it will automatically use your rFactor 2 registration name (real name). If I see someone on the server with a nickname I have to ban him because that means he doesn't want to show us his real name (using some workaround) and later we can't recognize him.

On to the next poll: the next car+track combo will run on the server between Nov. 10-12. This time I give you 9 options again. This time slow car time. :D The Spec Miata gets another chance, the Indycar will come later. I picked 3 shorter tracks, these fit the slower cars better.

About the voting: choose whatever combo you would like to race, don't choose xy just because it has more votes because in the end I count the car votes and the track votes separately like in the previous thread.

If you don't know Putnam Park: https://virtualcircuits.wordpress.com/2013/03/04/putnam-park-v1-0-update/

ps: I'm curious to see if that 20 guys who voted on the Camaro shows up in the next 3 days. :)

edit1: Sao Paulo is working now, I edited the mod so you can download the track from the server. ISI's Getmod URL however is still not working.

edit2: somebody just told me that the Clio after the last update is super awesome. :D I don't drive the Clio (neither the other two) so I don't know.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2014
  2. shiet

shiet Registered

OK so tonight nobody showed up. I guess this thing is derivable to this: you look at the server list, there is nobody on the server so you neither join the server because nobody else is on the server. :)

at iRacing this is how these things work:
    1. if there is a series/car which is not popular (we can compare it to rF2 online racing) then
    2. the drivers of that car gather together in a forum thread
    3. and they make an appointment about a timeslot or more timeslots when they want to race and when the majority can race (available).

So let's say I start it.
    I would like to race tomorrow night at 19:00 GMT and/or 20:00 GMT.
    Who would join?
    If there is at least 8-9 drivers who would join then we can race! :) That's all.
    And if we, the 8-9 drivers join the server it will instantly become more attractive to others surfing the server list.

ps: btw I think this initiative is already dying after a few days, at least by moving the threads to the server section (nobody reads it) gives it a boost to die...
    Thank you! :)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2014
  3. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

I looked for your server just half an hour ago. Couldn't find it?

4. shiet

shiet Registered

I turned off the server because as I said nobody was there. :) about half an hour ago.

5. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

Don't give up... it's difficult at the begginning. What I did when I runned own server was to get to know people in the forum. I participated to conversations and did some marketing. You have to find some regular guys who will attract more random pick-up racers. In the process you get to know nice people :)

-Matt

6. Comante

Comante Registered

This morning (europe time) I did see the server, but was unable to join it, the join button was greyed out.

7. Emery

Emery Registered

The server shows up in the list, but it's yellow when highlighted and the join button remains greyed out. Like the race isn't getmod enabled, maybe?

8. shiet

shiet Registered

When I was unable to join I restarted my PC and after it worked.
    Maybe try to log off windows and the log in.

9. shiet

shiet Registered

Absolutely 0 players joined the server in the last 3 days.
    Today 4 players voted on this poll.
    I guess this experiment is a total failure. :)

I will fire up the winner of this poll on Monday for 3 days and I think that was it.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2014
  10. rbk21

rbk21 Registered

I tried to join but it won't let me. Join button is grayed out and I think I have everything installed :-(

11. shiet

shiet Registered

Guys, honestly I don't know why.
    I did everything exactly how I did some days ago when there was ~10 players on the server.

I googled "rfactor 2 online join button grey" and the solutions

1. hit refresh until it works
    2. restart rF2
    3. (silly) find another server with the same mod and you can join both lol

12. shiet

shiet Registered

I have just changed the server settings.
    15 min qualify
    20 min race
    repeat

I guess that's what the majority wants.

Also right now somebody is on the server so it's not impossible to join.

13. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Registered

Will you have fast open wheelers soon?

14. shiet

shiet Registered

That would be the main category of the next poll but if nobody interested in this server there won't be any poll.

Btw there are three players on the server now so it's certainly not impossible to join. :D

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2014
  15. shiet

shiet Registered

I added the ISI Corvette to the server. As I know the Camaro and the Corvette have almost the same laptimes (the Corvette is maybe 0,5 sec faster).

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2014
  16. shiet

shiet Registered

The results of the poll are:

Renault Clio: 4 votes
    Spec Miata: 6 votes
    Skip Barber: 15 votes

Mores: 10 votes
    Loch Drummond short: 10 votes
    Putnam Park: 5 votes

So the next car will be the Skip Barber Car and the next track is Mores because most of the voters who voted on the Skip Barber car voted on Mores track too.

Fun race every 40min!

15min qualify
    20min race
    repeat

until Wednesday.

17. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Considering Sao Paolo is an official ISI-rF2 car, I wouldn't sweat it at all if it's auto-download isn't working. I'm assuming most people - by far - have the official rF2 content. Also, if they don't, it takes two seconds to go to the official rF2 website and download it, no dealing with trying to find it on a million different websites, making sure you got the right version number, or the one from the correct mod-maker, etc. etc. An official ISI piece of content not auto-downloading would be the least of my worries; it's all the different mods and such "out there" that need to auto-download.

EDIT: Nevermind, I just saw that you have Sao Paolo's auto-download working now :)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2014
  18. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

There are far too few open and well structured servers running official rF2 content, so this initiative is really appreciated.

The upcoming combo is really good, can't get enough of the Skip on Mores. :)

19. shiet

shiet Registered

Too bad it's over by Wednesday.
    Moving the thread/poll from the general forum to the server section was the dumbest move, it killed this idea. Far less people visiting this section, less activity, less voters, less feedback, less interest.

20. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Yup, noone hardly even visits the other sections. Everything (except reporting technical issues) should just be on the main rF2 general discussion section. Noone goes to the other sections, and anyone can see this since the website tells you the amount of current viewers.