From a Logitech Momo (red) to a DFGT; upgrade, sidegrade or downgrade?

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by Sido Weijer, May 14, 2014.

1. Sido Weijer

Sido Weijer Registered

At the moment I'm using a red Momo. It's perfectly fine in my opinion, but I'd like a wheel with more rotation available than the 270 degrees that the red Momo offers. My eyes fell on a Driving Force GT, with 900 degrees of rotation, but I'm wondering if the wheel is of the same quality as the Momo..?

Most of the complaints I read using Google are about the pedals of the DFGT. I also have a black Momo laying around, which apparantly has (almost) the same pedals as the DFGT, so I gave that a spin. The pedals are fine imo, I could get used to them.

What I really noticed about the black Momo though is how heavy the wheel turns by itself (without FFB), and how dead the FFB feels (maybe because of how heavy the wheel turns). I couldn't live with that, is the DFGT's FFB on par with the red Momo's FFB?

I'm basicly looking for a sidegrade instead of an upgrade, the only upgrade being the available rotation here, and I can probably pick up a used DFGT for the price (around € 50,-) I can sell my Momo's (2 red ones and 1 black).

Anyone here who has experience with both or either of the wheels and can give some info?

2. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Kind of a sidegrade, both suck, the one a little less than the other. Pedals feel like toys as much as the wheels do.

Why not go for a 2nd hand g27 at least? You get what you pay for (unless you buy them brand new).

3. lordpantsington

lordpantsington Registered

Then again a g27 with worn out pots might be worse than a new DFGT. I replaced a very worn Black Momo with a refurbished DFGT as a stop gap, and my lap times dropped. Other than the shifter buttons instead of paddles the DFGT feels the same as the B.Momo to me. All pot wheel/pedals wear down, just know its limitations and expect it to not last forever.

4. Sido Weijer

Sido Weijer Registered

This part wurries me, as I hate the feeling of the black momo. I do like the red one though (they're completely different wheels).

A g27, even used, is more than I'd like to spend. I'm just looking for something with 900 degrees of rotation that is of the same quality as my red Momo without having to invest any more money, but I'm not sure a wheel like that excists. I guess I can cross the DFGT off my list? Any other suggestions in that case?

5. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Yes, don't be a cheap dutchman. Come on man you want to enjoy your sim yet you don't want to spend any money and complain about the hardware.

6. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Yeah Dutchman, don't be so cheap :)

I gone the same route, Momo, DFGT and now G27 for a few years. the difference between te first 2 and the G27 (or 25 I reckon) is staggering. its just a completely different world. not comparable in accuracy,ffb, etc.
    Had a pedal problem last year and could not use it in the mids of a championship. so I got my old DFGT so that I would have 'something' and because I knew it was gonna suck I gave myself a whole week of intensive testing to get re-adjusted. end-result: I just gave up. There's just no going back.

So I would recommend holding on to the Momo for now and just start to save money until you can get G25/27 or better.

Besides, you where on our server last night in the Camaro and I gotta say, you certainly aint lacking in speed! With that in mind there doesn't seem to be an urgent reason to change?

And if you are planning on visiting our servers more in the future I would recommend staying with the momo, just because I know the G27 will make you even faster and I don't like that :p

7. Sido Weijer

Sido Weijer Registered

Alright then, thanks for the responses. I guess a cheap solution isn't available, so I'm just going to hang on to my Momo and perhaps buy a G25/27 when I feel the time is right.

Haha, thanks for the compliment Denstjiro. The red Momo I was using last night (which I always use actually) isn't too bad imo, the main reason I want(ed) something else is because I'd like 900 degrees of rotation.

8. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

@sjaak22....If you like the feel of your wheel but hate the pedals, you could always get a set of Clubsports.
    I did that with the G25 and it worked great for years.
    I'd actually planned on doing it again with a Momo Force, but the shaft failed during system on calibration of the wheel.
    It simply snapped in half.
    Maybe that stop-to-stop calibration does more damage than it should.