Fps slowly decreasing when the game is paused

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by Marek Lesniak, May 24, 2012.

1. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Noticed that in the previous build and I see it still exists in the current, B85.

The issue is simple to reproduce. Just pause the game, note down fps value and.... sit and wait and watch how fps going slowly down.

2. feels3

feels3 Member Staff Member

I have the same problem as you.

Also I have somtimes huge fps drop to 1-2 fps. (especially in cockpit view)

3. Cristian Why

Cristian Why Registered

i get that too

4. MJP

MJP Registered

Strange I don't get that, if anything my FPS actually goes up a little bit when I pause the game.

@feels3

Sounds like you're dropping out of 'realtime' are/were you using the 'skip updates' controller INI hack or it could just simply be your graphics settings are too high.

5. feels3

I doubt. My PC is fast enough to run iRacing ~ 150fps :p (max settings)

6. MJP

MJP Registered

Yeah but that's a different game! There are numerous posts here that seem to suggest that for whatever reason iRacing is less demanding of hardware than rF2.

7. feels3

You missed the point ;)

I meant that if my hardware can handle other modern sim (and many others modern games too) it should also handle the rf2.
    But it doesn't.

8. MJP

MJP Registered

Lol don't think it's me missing the point.

I do tend to agree with you (and others who've similarly posted) that if your system handles other modern games at a certain level it's a bit disappointing to find that rF2 doesn't run as well.

Maybe rF2 is more complex and demanding than other games, maybe rF2 is less well optimised than other games, I don't know. What I do know yours is the latest of many posts to notice that for whatever reason rF2 doesn't run as well as hoped.

Have you monitored your VRAM usage, are your settings using up all (and more) VRAM than your card has? What happens when you lower settings, do the huge FPS drops go away? If so there's your answer, you might not like it but that's the current situation. If you're still getting huge FPS drops on lower settings and your sure you're not running out of VRAM and your CPU isn't dropping its multiplier or something daft like that then you've a problem.

Have you tried removing your PLR file and letting rF2 create a new one, although that's more of a fix for people who find the game not running as well as it once had rather than than always running badly.