NEED INFO Fps help

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by mac22, Oct 20, 2013.

1. mac22

mac22 Registered

Running a reasonably fast machine (i7 OC's and Nvidia 580 GTX) and was happy running RF2 at very high FPS 70-80 - but suddenly had a big reduction in FPS typically running 25FPS now - think it might be a graphic options I have accidentally selected but not sure what it is - anyone any ideas on what might have caused the reduction - I notice lots of new options recently such as rain and reflections on track - what might be causing this huge drop?

2. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

You mentioned just noticing lots of new options, what, you haven't seen them before or you have just upgraded to a new build version?
    You can try turning of both reflection settings. Not much will change but you will get back quite a bit of FPS. rF2 automatically generates a generic reflection map on the cars even with reflections turned off. You can also try everything at the top set to medium and you will still get a good look, then gradually step it up.

Also you may have picked up something new running in the background and haven't realized it.

3. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Shadows and reflections will be the settings that will hit you hard if you reset things by accident.

4. mac22

mac22 Registered

thanks for the reply Tim....
    Actually I get the feeling there is something wrong with my whole install now - basically I tried changing many of the graphical options - textures, shadows, rain - even if I set them all to low I am basically getting FPS of between 20-25 (this is across most tracks and cars) and varying almost all settings from low all the way up to max!!! FPS stays almost unchanged! - before with everything maxed (vsync on) was getting a constant 60 fps across all tracks!
    Really frustrating as what ever I change I get FPS locked around the 20-25 now!! (note I do not have the auto fps on) - this has actually ruined the whole game!
    The only thing I really changed recently was the volume/spotter settings in an effort to get the spotter to work.......(got it working last week now its still not).....
    anyone any ideas?

5. JGraf

JGraf Registered

try removing your player.plr file, the game will rebuild a new one to default next launch.
    might help your fps hangup.

6. mac22

mac22 Registered

JGraf many thanks for the tip......
    Completely removed the .plr file and appears to have had 2 effects - increase in FPS from low 20's to low 30's - but the graphics now are looking much sharpers and crisper..............(but will need to reconfigure my controllers setup ect) - no real idea why the improvements (although I have always put incremental updates overtop of each for the last year or so rather than doing a fresh install........

Does anyone have any other ideas (although improved the FPS are still not really close to the 60 (vsynced) the game had been running at previously).

7. 88mphTim

Honestly, no. Your system is better than mine right now, and is running rF2 far worse.

Do you have any information on what temps your CPU and GPU are running?

My solution would be to reinstall rF2 entirely and see what happens. But I find it easy and quick to do. usually I just save the mods.

8. mac22

mac22 Registered

Tim thanks for the reply might give the reinstall a try if its straight forward.
    1)Firstly will back up my packages folder (guess I don't need to uninstall all my mods first?)
    2)Also to do the new install what version of rfactor2 should I download?(know there is a lite and full one - but much of my ISI content was installed separately?)
    3)Notice in the start menu under rfactor2 there is an uninstall option - should I just use this? does this uninstall both parts of the install?(under programs and my documents or do I need to manually uninstall any files?)
    (4)Would want to back up and then reinstall my saved controller profiles where exactly do I find them?and do I just drop them into my new install?

9. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered

When I update I just install to a new folder ie 'rfactor2build342' and leave the old one in place until I'm done with it. I would install Lite and point the mod manager at my 'old' packages folder, install a car and track and give it a go. If it's no better you can revert to the original....if it's better you can copy over the rest of the stuff.

10. 88mphTim

To install fresh, I:
    backup the rfcmp files from packages (no rfmods)
    Uninstall rFactor 2 from control panel add/remove programs
    Delete documents/rFactor2
    Delete program files/rFactor2 or program files x86/rfactor2 if the uninstaller didn't
    Install lite
    put rfcmps back into packages.
    Install mods, setup rf2 as desired.

11. mac22

mac22 Registered

Tim thanks for the guide - will try the reinstall - few more questions?
    1)Where do I find the controller profiles that I have created/saved?
    2)Is it worth installing the Lite or full version? (I guess full already comes with all the ISI content(tracks/cars?)
    3)Do I need to uninstall any of the mods or do I just copy the content of the packages folder?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2013
  12. coops

coops Banned

honestly since new build i have great FPS just restored my nvidia settings and runs like a champ all maxed out. i7 gtx 680 4 gig running triples.

13. mac22

mac22 Registered

Tim just did the reinstall - seems be some improvement - its now running better and a bit smoother (depending on the track 30-40 fps) - but still not convinced for the spec of machine (i7 oc's to 4.7 and 480 gtx nvidia this is what I would be expecting (previous builds were running vsynced at 60 fps and 70-80 fps when not v synced).

Just wondering if you have any more ideas? (only other thing was I recently started overriding the game AA settings with those from the NVidia control panel as I thought it gave better result - although pretty sure this would not have such a negative impact to fps! unless I accidently changed something else on the NVidia control panel)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2013