Formula Vee

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Jun 14, 2021.

1. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Yes, but when devs don't make it easier, then its their fault, as constantly expressed by simracers. Thats absolutely true in sim many people don't stress about overdriving cars at all, there is no real danger. What I want to say is that when you have a car that drives realistically, and then drive it unrealistically purely because it doesn't matter if you crash, then you find yourself putting car increasingly more over the limit with decreasing amount of care. People usually don't complain a lot if developer allows possibility to drive like an ace, while in reality the person is not much better than average.

I also don't think any developers are guilty if they ever cheat anyone by falsely and purposely adjusting difficulty levels. It is because people ask for that. Users is the weakest point in every simulation, because of vast complexity of reality that is difficult to perceive and understand truly right, some does not even try.

Interesting that you say 60s cars were sensitive to slippage comparing to modern racing cars. I think it was the opposite. However, it depend from which perspective you look at it. In older days there was no downforce and tires were less grippy, cars were sensitive to overdriving as they begin to slide early, but they were not sensitive to sliding, they liked sliding. As time went by, downforce came, and then a lot more of downforce, slick tires, soft rubber, cars did become less sensitive to begin sliding as they begin to slide a lot later, but once they were sliding they over time became a lot more sensitive to sliding itself, it takes lots of skills to keep them on rails when pushing the limits. With older cars it was more about not pushing over the limits too far, and now it is more about not pushing over the limits at all, maybe just a little bit.

MCGeo8 and leseb64 like this.
  2. turtleCZ

turtleCZ Registered

I mean how grip works after peak. It's completely different to AMS1. AMS1 loses grip very slowly like rF2.

3. Filip

Filip Registered

There's a big difference between national and regional Skip Barber, at least to me.
    Tires meake these like two different cars.
    I find driving the regional Skip Barber more similar to some othe rf2 mods than to driving the national Skip.
    So when referring to driving behaviour of Skip Barber in rf2 one should state which version.

avenger82 likes this.
  4. leseb64

leseb64 Registered

yes the old cars used to slide and they were easier to control than a modern car that also slides, let's say that the breaking point or catching up of the car is more unpredictable with the modern ones (I don't like to go into details I have a hard time when it's not my native language sorry) but yes I'm of the same opinion that's why I still have fun with GT legends from time to time because I love the vintage!

for those who are devs that make it easier to drive, hmmm no I have a hard time, well I hope not actually, anyway I have the impression that the s397 devs don't do it, Look at the GT3's when they were driving at crazy speeds, it was crazy, the devs solved it with the new tyres (and other physical corrections I think) now they are much more credible and you don't drift through the corners anymore or much less, but I still find them too permissive towards catching the car when it slides from the back, I've already caught cars almost at "45°(I exaggerate yes), which is impossible in the real world with a GT3 ..

But I think that overall for the physics s397 is doing a good job especially with the last cars released! there are of course improvements to be made (transmission, clutch, aero etc..) but it is going in the right direction I think.

Nieubermesch and mantasisg like this.
  5. GertjanD

GertjanD Registered

LOL, I did not realize my initial post (quoted above) would spark so much interest and debate about this car and the FFB/driving model of RF2 in general :)

MCGeo8 and atomed like this.
  6. GertjanD

GertjanD Registered

What is number three?

7. GertjanD

GertjanD Registered

What did you change to the default setup (and why)?

8. atomed

atomed Member

The Miata, The Skippy and the FVee are probably in my top 3, though I could make room for 4 or 5 more into the podium :cool:

GertjanD likes this.
  9. GertjanD

GertjanD Registered

Which Miata (mod) is that?

10. atomed

atomed Member

Nieubermesch and mantasisg like this.
  11. GertjanD

GertjanD Registered

12. atomed

atomed Member

Yes, it should be significant but I´ve found this street version is more similar to my mx5 cup than the original mod. Even the laptimes are closer.

mantasisg and GertjanD like this.
  13. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

But that's not tire model. It's just tire parameters. You can have fast and slow grip loss with either empirical or physical model.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
  14. turtleCZ

turtleCZ Registered

OK, sounds good. So why every game has different parameters even if every game dev has real racer input? For instance, why in every Top Gear Clarkson slides like crazy and almost never lose the control? Real world looks more like rF2 to me and not like R3E.

15. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

They very rarely get accurate tires data. Even if they get them it's often not that reliable so they must do a guesswork.
    Clarkson power slides/drifts and he does it in sport road cars not racing cars with slicks.

16. turtleCZ

turtleCZ Registered

Maybe. Cars in R3E are completely different to me than in rF2. Why? I tried 20 cars at max. Did I try bad ones?

Why every car I try in rF2 is very similar? We have racing cars, road cars, everything. Everything could be slidey as hell. Not in R3E.

I think TG has almost any car so tires should vary a lot. Is it even legal have slicks on a road car? I mean "normal" ones with some holes in it. For instance, Veyron probably don't have usual tires for Mini :D

17. stephen Lloyd

stephen Lloyd Registered

Haven't tried this car yet... need to have a crack at it.

18. lagg

lagg Registered

Do you think that Skip barber, GT3, Tatuus, M4, Formula E, KartSim, Formula Pro, Oreca LMP2, 911 CUP, Puma P052, Radical SR3, Stockcars, MP4/13, McLaren M23 or Spark are similars?
    My rF2 is different at yours.

leseb64 and avenger82 like this.
  19. turtleCZ

turtleCZ Registered

Yeah, they are. That's the reason I play rF2. No other game has same "slidey" tires. AMS1 is very near to that. AMS2 looks like they try hard to be rF2 but feeling is partly strange (still very slidey). I don't know, maybe I have different game but this mechanics is very easy to play but if you want to master a car you must be very careful. Easy to learn and hard to master. Other games are rather hard at start and boring at the end.

Overall that's the reason I ask too much. It's interesting how I see it when read other opinions. Maybe I will find something which changes everything.

20. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

Maybe they are both in general a little off at the opposite end of spectrum regarding allowed slip angle etc. Perhaps real cars are generally somewhere in the middle.
    F. Vee and Skippy on regional tires doesn't feel similar to any other car in rF2. If you play rf2 more you will find there are big differences. Try GP3 mod by SlowMotion.

There is not much more than racing cars. Road cars are usually mods with varying quality regarding physics. Some mods have completely unrealistic physical values yet people may say they feel great.

IIRC they almost never had racing car. Pretty much all cars were street legal so probably didn't use racing slicks. But again Clarkson makes street sports cars powerslide/drift. You generally can't do that with racing cars with modern racing slicks. I think closest sim that allows to do what Clarkson or Chris Harris is AC. Many people drift in AC with street cars, but I can't unless it's specific drift car.