Formula 2 ffb is really light

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Chris Kemp, May 31, 2017.

1. Chris Kemp

Chris Kemp Registered

Formula 2 is just garbage imo
    Is there something i am missing?
    FFB is way too light until downforce is working then its ridiculously heavy.
    Maybe just my wheel but everything else i have tried is fine.

Fanatec CSW V2

2. BlackGoku

BlackGoku Registered

True.

Formula 2 is a non updated mod and thats why the FFB isn't updated too.

3. peterchen

peterchen Registered

OK, just because you don´t like the FFB (which most likely won´t change because of ffb-technique rF2 uses) the whole car is garbage?
    Ridiculous.
    Besides that it´s discussed a thousand times here already!
    Use search function in future before posting!

4. Christopher Elliott

Christopher Elliott Registered

FYI, we're in the process of updating the F2, so I would not focus too much on the current version :)

5. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Cheers for info

-kept me adjusting .Json before I just wrote it off as a non functioning sim car

Glad ffb is being sorted

6. stonec

stonec Registered

Well just because it isn't "updated" doesn't mean it's wrong. The car is based on the 2012 Williams JPH1B F2 car, so I doubt S397 has gained access to some new data from a five year old car. ISI insisted hard that the F2 FFB is correct as it is, they even had an F2 driver testing the car (not for promo, but giving actual feedback), but we'll see how it will be tuned for the next version.

7. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

unless it's my hardware ( bodnar V2 which obviously i never owned when ISI released the f2) ,
    the f2 feels very different now to what it did on release & for some time after

i don't use it so it's not a problem for me

8. LokiD

LokiD Registered

oh how I've argued away to this topic. I don't think the physics and ffb can be at fault. I personally think now, the weight of the real world forces that the f2 provides, does not translate well onto non dd wheels!

I'm not sure they can change this. However I would like to see the caster option unlocked for us to tighten the ffb, like we do in the fr35. Even if it's against the rules. I cant see caster improving laptimes alone.

or maybe a upgrade which can strengthen the ffb like some mods have.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
  9. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Registered

Increase FFB minimum to between 5-10%. Also, make sure your smoothing is set to 0.

10. LokiD

LokiD Registered

I get severe oscillations with anything over 6 unfortunately

11. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Registered

Yeah, but maybe 10% works for the OP. But for you, obviously set it to whichever highest value that doesn't give oscillations. Unfortunately, anything under 10% with this car or the FR3.5 feels overly light, so it probably won't work for you, but at least it's better than 0%.

12. LokiD

LokiD Registered

sorry thought was replying to me. No problems. I always find maxing caster a great ffb fix for the light cars.

or running damper. But that spoils cars that feel good in rf and any other sim !

13. Christos Segkounas

Christos Segkounas Registered

I reckon these cars have heavily assisted steering to cope with the high speed stresses where otherwise it would be impossible for the driver to turn the car, so it should be normal to have light steering at low speeds.
    So, judging from the FR3.5 FFB update the devs have decided to cater for sim racer's needs for strong feedback even it it meant distancing themselves from reality a little bit here and there.
    I never had any quarrels with the FR3.5 low speed light steering and neither do I have any with the F2 or the Formula ISI 2012, it's not like with a stronger FFB I'm going to go any faster.
    But seeing as I don't mind either way and some people do mind the light steering maybe these updates are for the better.

14. LokiD

LokiD Registered

thing is its not just low speed on a t300 , i can do some considerable speed in a corner and the wheel is almost limp! So yeah if thats realistic I'm happy for make believe ! :) - I'm not so sure its realistic. Ive only driven the kinda car in my avatar and the steering in that was heavy, most times. Well a lot heavier than my t300!

Tbf i didn't really notice the heavier ffb in the FR at all. I would like them just to unlock the caster option, even if by an unrealistic setup upgrade ( i couldn't care) so people who want the light steering can have it, and for us poor people with non dd wheels.....Theres caster

But at the end of the day its all subjective as unless someone has driven the exact same car in similar conditions to how we play it.. we cant really say.

15. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Well, someone has:

("similar conditions" is debatable though)

Astonishing for me to see that you would prefer a slightly more unrealistic physical feature, over a slightly more unrealistic FFB.
    At the end it´s not the F2 car´s fault that you don´t own a strong enough DD-wheel.
    And it´s no wonder that your t300 can´t do the same force as you felt in the real car you´ve driven. (at 100% force?)

16. LokiD

LokiD Registered

there simply needs to be an alternative for us non DD wheel users, that's all. Be it a upgrade caster option, or a heavier ffb, which wont have you breaking your wrists over kerbs and stuff. Other sims manage it not sure why rf2 cant. I couldn't care less for real life forces I want a decent weighty wheel.:)

Mibrandt likes this.
  17. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

perhaps the ffb has been designed / tested on retail grade ffb wheels,

on servo systems the power/spring corner effect becomes to powerful ( downforce heavier steering effects ) , corners feel strange

same with the 3.5 sim-car