Force Feedback side impact

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Booth_doberman, Dec 15, 2022.

1. Booth_doberman

Booth_doberman Registered

I drive primarily the Formula E cars. It seems recently--and it may be that I've just noticed--that the force feedback from side impacts is so much greater than head-on or rear impacts. It I glance a wall in a tight turn (London FE) or get side swiped by an AI, the FFB is so much greater than if I drive full bore head-on into a barrier. Tuning the FFB settings (Fanatec elite 1.1) down doesn't seem to have any effect on the side impacts. I'm just posting this here to see if anyone else has noticed.

2. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

I usually feel nothing on side/front/rear impacts, only a very slight FFB reaction, like hitting a small curb... Not right for sure, but it is what it is...

3. Booth_doberman

I learned from Race Department today that there is a setting in controller.json called Jolt Magnitude that controls this. Mine was set to 1.5, which is probably the default. The poster there suggested .015. I will experiment with it.

4. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

Give feedback please...

5. Booth_doberman

I tried setting the Jolt setting to -2, the lowest value you can set, and it did not seem to make any difference.

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

0 is the lowest. -2 will jolt in the other direction, I think.

*but, driving into a wall while turning will jolt the steering in the physics, as you're "creating a moment" around the kingpin axis...

7. Booth_doberman

I tried 0 first. When it didn't seem to do anything, I set it to -2. There didn't seem to be a difference.

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Yeah, that suggests what you're feeling is a reaction in the physics. Getting side swiped by AI seems less likely (but possible, of course), but hitting a solid wall will cause a reaction depending on the angles. The steering ratio helps but things in rF2 don't bend, so forces can peak at pretty high levels.