For what reason do I get disqualification in Q1?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DanMicke, Sep 10, 2020.

1. DanMicke

DanMicke Registered

Hi there. Totally new to rFactor (a week) and very much use intuition when trying out the game. I've just used one Sim before and used it for years (Grand Prix Legends). It's a really good simulator and have a great MOD community that really improved all things. Now, GPL is allways connected to Seasons, cars and tracks. More than the rFactor approach where you just pic a random car and a track and go for it. That might be the answer to why I'm very confused.

I downloaded the Mazda MX5 mod (as I have that car IRL). And among all tracks I found the F1 Mexico track from the late 60'ties and as I'm very used to that track from GPL I downloaded that as well. And put my MX5 to race on it. Now, a funny thing about rFactor (compared to GPL where you allways find yourself at start at the pit lane) is that you can be at some strange backyard or something and have to find you way out to the track. It might be that borders and limits on each track isn't fully declared. It might be the reason to my problem. Or it might be something I do wron and then someone can explain.

The thing is that starting a race at Mexico in my MX with qualification tells me somehow I have 3 laps to qualify? Don't know if that fits but anyway. It's a long straight just ourside the pits on that track. Allways, on my 2nd lap, I get some strange message that tells me something about exceeding 100 km/hrs in the pits and I have to drive in to pits (and can drive a 3rd lap). And when I get in and check the standings I'm disqualified?!?!? At first I thought I might have broken some pit rule when I drove out on a track so I reallt was careful next time. But it didn't matter. I am att full speed coming in to the straight so perhaps the game inteprets this straight as pit lane somehow? All tracks and cars perhaps are not synced all the time and the game engine misinterprets what happen on the track? I can't see any other explanation and start to get tired of disqualification from doing a flying lap? What do you more experienced rFator users think about this?

Another signal about this game reading of tracks was when I (tired of DSQ) jumped to the race directly. At start the car was in some strange tent on a lawn and suddenly my competetors showed up from thin air and in a chaos followed a brickwall that had a small opening ou on the track. It was just a mess and cars was messed up even before we came out on the track. My guess is that you have to live with such things when cars and tracks are developed by different people and sometimes 'rules' don't match if you pick whatever you like. Am I right about this? Would like to understand the game.

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

When you download third party content you're at the mercy of what the creator has (or hasn't) done.

Start with the normal game content until you learn how rF2 works, then try other content and work out what's going on.

When you get dumped in a strange place on a track (back of the paddock somewhere), press I (i on your keyboard) to turn on AI and when the session starts it should drive itself to the track, showing you where you need to go. Then you can drive yourself next time. (press I again to turn off AI control, with a 3-second delay)

The race session issue could be related to the start type. In the session settings you can choose the type of race start (standing, rolling, formation lap or not) and if you select, say, a rolling start on a track that hasn't been made to handle it, things go wrong.

PS You don't need to explain GPL, most sim racers are very familiar with it :p

DanMicke likes this.
  3. DanMicke

DanMicke Registered

Thanks. Learned some here and the I-thing seems helpful. The MX5 race was quite hilarious before start. First, from somewhere in a park with a lot of trees, all racers was called to a formation lap, and the AI's seemed sometimes as lost as me and lined up between a high brickwall and some buildings. Then a narrow opening in the wall and all of them tried to get out at the same time. When I at last was on the track I got the message that I had to let someone pass for the formation lap and I had to slow down for someone that never showed up and lost sight of the cars in front. In fact it was like some comedy. And they were all wild at the running start, with a massive crash right at start. But it was fun to drive when things settled down :)

Haven't had much driving in rFactor yet and will allways go fo spins in GPL as well. Perhaps not 'photograpich' emvronments like some of the tracks in rFactor but many quite awsome tracks and really good physics. I've narrowed it down to the seasons around my teens when I became interested and run F1 67, 68 & 69 as well as Sportscars 67. Great game and community at SMRZ. So you mean than many youngsters are familiar with GPL as well?

Have to mention I was a bit impressed when I'd downloaded the Gulf Porsche 917 and the Le Mans Sarthe track (had practiced it in GPL before). It was a monster of a car and during the qualification sunset changed the sight of the track and suddenly you had the sun in your eyes and had to adapt. Then it bedame dark so I had to switch on the lights as well. Quite amusing experience :)

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/which-decade-were-you-born-in.64924/ lol

rF2 has always been the ugly duckling of driving games, its core physics is its strength. Unfortunately the gameplay aspects (weekend rules, fully fleshed-out car systems, etc) and some implementation of the physics remain undercooked despite the graphics now starting to catch up. It's a waiting game here, but you can still have some great driving and racing while you wait...

DanMicke likes this.
  5. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

turn off all flags except black flag. If you value solo play, the mess created by using flags will discourage you.

DanMicke likes this.
  6. DanMicke

DanMicke Registered

Thank's for your useful tips guys. And BTW (with few tested tracks so far) the old Mexico circuit is in fact a suitable track for the MX5's. Guess a couple of the more narrow Championship tracks from F167 might be so as well.

Would like to find Nordschleife from 67 as in GPL but couldn't find any. So I had to go with the more modern Tourist version that mainly follows those lines (even if you hardly recognize some of the streches).

Interesting age poll. Proves that older guys like to play and race ;)