Flickering lights with post effects at night

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tlsmikey, Aug 1, 2018.

1. tlsmikey

tlsmikey Registered

I'm seeing a lot of flickering lights in VR and triple screen if I enable post effects. At ultra it is better, but still present in some areas. This is at night in Sebring and other tracks.

Anyone else noticing this and found a way to minimize it? If i turn off post effects it goes away, but that isn't as nice to look at.

McFlex likes this.
  2. JuanP006

JuanP006 Registered

3. marvelharvey

marvelharvey Registered

Thank you for posting this. The flickering lights were giving me a headache last night... and then I plain forgot about posting this thread today.

4. fbiehne

fbiehne Registered

Yep, can confirm I have this issue, too.
    Check my video (night starts at min 6).

5. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

For me thats how the lights have worked since DX11. I have tried many things on my tracks to reduce it and nothing has worked yet. I believe it's not a bug but how the PostFX work atm.

Ozzy, Alex72 and Mibrandt like this.
  6. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

just curious, what is your time scale set to? See if that flickering is still present when using a non-accelerated time.

7. fbiehne

fbiehne Registered

Good hint, might try non accelerated time. In the vid the time acceleration is set to 20x. Thanks.

8. tlsmikey

tlsmikey Registered

I’ve tried time scale from 0-5x and it still shows up. Doesn’t seem to change anything.

9. fsuarez79

fsuarez79 Registered

Increasing PP effects settings will decrease the flickering but it will also have an impact in fps

10. KittX

KittX Registered

Let's not forget the light glare effects is made due Yebis post-effect software, and i guess it works something like subdivisions when rendering in 3ds Max or vRay. Or, in fact, somewhat close to digital photography, and even to the way you see objects such as very distant lights through the atmosphere (sometimes they are flickering too, look at the stars above the city). The more density of "packets" of information - the less noise in case of photography and rendering, or the less flickering in case of seeing with eyes, or in this case of Yebis software.
    I am not defending nor saying it's right or wrong, I just describe why I think it looks like this. And it makes sense, that if you increae PP level, you increase density of those "packets", so less flickering. But it also increases the processing time in this case, similar to rendering in Max, or increases the exposure time in case of photography. Same principle.

But again, I look at distant powerplant lights that are 5km from me right now, and they are flickering through the air, so... not entirely unrealistic.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
  11. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

YES, but these lights often flicker as you pass on by, just feet away. The lights appear to power up as you approach. So a blinking pattern until operating temp is reached and then it glows steadily....EXCEPT, it should be glowing steadily on the next lap, but it repeats the procedure as you approach each light pole. The sim recognizes your approach and turns on the light, which flickers and blinks and then shines. pole after pole, lap after lap. At least with my current settings of low PP

12. shovas

shovas Registered

+1 this is still a thing

13. shovas

shovas Registered

EDIT: Oops, this was a copy&paste from a Race Department thread. Leaving this here as a clear, succinct work-around for the OP issue, though, as it wasn't clera to me exactly what to do until I found this.

Found a work-around: Disable Set Post Effects to None from the Launcher > Settings > Video Settings. Not great but at least it's not seizure inducing anymore.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
  14. lagg

lagg Registered

The topic of the thread is "Flickering lights with post effects at night" :p

Alex72 likes this.
  15. shovas

shovas Registered

Oops, you're right, this was a copy&paste from another post at Race Department on the same issue. It was actually here I found the solution :D

lagg likes this.
  16. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

I think it's because of the angle you're looking at the lights from. When you're at a shallow angle, you get the flickering, but when you see enough of it, it smooths out.

17. Liquid4653

Liquid4653 Registered

Been an issue since the days when isi and dx9 version sadly, the problem is z-axis fighting as well, similar to when you have a decal too close to the object it is on, like on tracks etc, we all have seen it im sure.