Flickering Issues on objects that never flicker before

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Nibiru, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

First up I have done some reading on Z buffering and understand that a little bit about it (not a lot). I had some issues previously with some objects flickering mainly signs and I widened the signs and fixed it. One sign I had to detach the support poles and move them away 25cm to stop the flicker. (Which I dont like but have to live with atm)

Strange thing has happened. I added a new object into my scene and a heaps of objects that didn't flicker before are now flickering. I removed the object and still the objects are now flickering. Could be coincidence but even still what is now causing it? What do I need to be looking at to over come the issue?

Do I need to be setting up the objects or materials in a special way to help over come the issue?

This is only in dev mode I haven't tried the game yet.

edit: same in game

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2015
  2. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

Are they flickering in the viewer.exe?

3. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

Can be related to clipping values in CAM files, is it both TV and vehichle views ?

4. Tuttle

That why I asked. Track artists should work mostly with the viewer to not add car issue variables to the track workflow.

5. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

No flicker in viewer

the car used in dev is default car

6. Tuttle

Ok then it's the car you are using, which is probably loading conservatives clip planes in the cam file. At the time this is too close to the cam it will introduce Z fight.

Also, this could be related to track cams, for the same reason (especially when loading long zoom).

7. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

Thanks for this tip. I always check with cockpit view in single player. Didn't know that views could be messing the whole thing up.

In the case the flickering occurs with cockpit view and not in viewer.exe is there any solution?

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505 mediante Tapatalk

8. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

It's while driving I notice the flicker. but it's ISI car so shouldn't I build the track to match the car?

9. Tuttle

Sure; ask the car mod guy to use more distance between the clipplanes and the cockpit cam in order to not introduce cockpit flickering. So, it's all a matter of find the proper distance to limit, as much as possible, the flickering for both inside and outside.

10. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

Thanks Tuttle. I'll make some tests myself since I usually have to do some slight modifications to mods to fit our league reqs and likes.

I guess it will be easy to find those parameters. Can't remember now in which file they were.

11. Tuttle

No. Every car has its own cam set, with different clip planes distances to avoid internal cockpit flickering. You should not build a track trying to match a car. You should just work at your track using proper methods to avoid Z fight (using decals where needed, avoiding overlapped polygons, avoiding overlapped solids, multiple parallel surfaces etc etc etc).

Also, can happen a car has not so good clip planes...so your track has to work at best with all cars. When it comes to Z-buffer, nothing is 100% bulletproof. Average it's still there.

12. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

Appreciate your comments guys. Still a little confused as why these objects have only just started flickering when car and object should be the same. Its late for me off to bed.

Thanks again

Nibiru

13. Tuttle

Because the car is using a CAM which is using the 3D Clipping volume to describe the Near plane to Far plane delta. This is the area where it starts and it ends the rendered volume/area. Before that Near Plane and After that Far Plane, the game it will clip. This is the basic rule behind the "problem".

View attachment 17519

14. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

Two doubts.

1. But shouldn't a polygon out of the clipping planes simply not be rendered instead of flickering?

2. The decal option is for objects or for materials? If it is for objects (i thinbk it is that way) can you confirm that the tag is defined internally in the gmt rather than in the scn? I haven't seen the option within 3dsimed so I guess it might not be available yet or I might have missed it.

Thanks in advance