Flag rules enforced

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by rob1178, Jan 9, 2014.

1. rob1178

rob1178 Registered

In racing you always obey the flags

Yellow: slow down prepare to stop. No overtaking under yellows.

Blue flags: faster car behind, get out the way!

So how about, esp online, some kind of penalty for disobeying these?

Like auto slow down for 10 secs if you pass under yellow? Slow down and ghost car if you don't obey blue?

I appreciate this may be very hard to implement but hey it's a wish list!

2. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Blue can already be set server side, I think default its more then a full lap of obstructing a leader and you get a drive through. this can be altered somewhere in the files making it harsher or easier. I suspect however many servers are running with blacks-only and other flags have no actual influence.
    And that's just a admin decision, not so much rf2.

Yellow is a bit more difficult because its not always clear (for a server nor for humans in or after a race) what constitutes an incident zone.
    For example slowing down for a car that is off track and has nothing to do with cars on track....slow down anyways? for how long?
    And what about cars behind, they might not see the yellow, or the incident and take advantage of the car that just slowed down.
    That's going to be rather tricky. but i'm not sure if there are rules or tweaks avail for yellows atm.

3. rob1178

rob1178 Registered

Didn't know about blues actually working, maybe they should be harsher to encourage better awareness on track

Yellows are yellows car on or off track, they still mean slow and prepare to stop. I guess slowing would be very hard to put in but could it dish out penalties for overtaking under yellow?

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

And the game could warn that you've done it, so you've got a chance to correct it before you get penalised... bit like a real life engineer on the radio. Except of course if you're simulating a series without a radio engineer you'd perhaps not want that... but then maybe the penalties wouldn't be as bad... so yeah, it'd be good, but not that easy for sure ;)

You can set the time gap that blue flags will appear at (from 0.3-1.5[?] seconds), but you can't change how quickly you'll get pinged for ignoring it. It probably depends a lot on the track, but for a normal road course it's certainly no more than several corners of constant blue. Sometimes people get penalised when they really didn't have a good opportunity to yield (tight esses etc) so I'm guessing a lot of leagues turn the option off and just handle disputes/penalties after the race.

5. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

True, and probably a good idea to be able to set this to a desired level.
    They would then also need to enable admins to tweak the yellow activation zone, its set for a certain speed I believe, lets say 50kph. lower then that and there's a yellow, higher then that and no yellow. yet, in racing incidents this does not always reflect whats going on. there could be a massive crash but full speed...

Maybe a warning? ''slow-down-approaching-incident zone'' and if you don't slow you get a warning, next time its a penalty.
    That might be helpful because as in real life, yellow's are far too debatable to be able to implement it correctly, let alone on public server where everyone has different opinions on racing conduct.

Also I dont think flags show in replays, that would be realy helpful in leagues and communities. atm its not easy to put the blame on someone as there might not be enough evidence.

6. rob1178

rob1178 Registered

I think maybe slowing under yellow would be almost impossible to police, but overtaking under yellow should be do able?

7. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

yes I think so, would be in the same range of a warmup lap, full course yellow, rolling start. all conditions where the server enforces the no-overtaking rule. so why not with yellow's.

If we would get the same values as with the blue flags it would be pretty configurable as well.

8. rob1178

rob1178 Registered

Yes warm up lap also gives you some time to allow the person back past, which would be good to have also

9. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

I don't race online, but one of the most annoying things in the world when you watch a race is to have the derps wave the blue flags constantly, even during heated battles. It's a race, a car is following another one, we know.

10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Hmm... do you know what a blue flag means?

11. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

European Union coming up?