First online race in months

Discussion in 'Online Racing Discussion' started by MarcG, Apr 15, 2014.

1. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Heard a lot about "poor netcode" and the like recently so jumped into the Megane Server for a quick race, Join wroked fine (no grey button), go in as Qually ended so started from the back of the grid or thereabouts. 109ms-111ms on the Ping which is a tad high for my liking, a few cars warping about made it a bit dodgy at times but had a good battle with some bloke/girl and managed a 6th out of about 18 at Mores...a track I've never driven in the Megane...also clocked the second or thirst fastest lap....nice!

All in all I put the warping down to bad pings (did'nt check the other drivers actually probably should of), was enjoyable, just wish I had more time to join a league proper :( Oh well the AI will do :)

2. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

109ms-111ms is a little high, but completely doable. Shouldn't be a problem. But if other people have crappy connections or play on wifi, that can cause warping too- but that is standard for any game. Welcome back.

3. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Yeah, the poor netcode comments are, frankly, garbage. 382 introduced something it shouldn't, THAT was bad netcode and was disabled in the next build after it unless someone had player file write protected, or CHOSE to use it.

4. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

at least 50% is just repeating what others said. it will go on for years no doubt.

5. Woodee

Woodee Registered

I have never seen any bad netcode on our club nights. I could race in very close proximity to player and AI cars with no warping to be seen. Pings of 100 are very common, 200 may be pushing it though. Some just don't understand that warping cars is not bad netcode, it is just bad internet connections.. but the last thing people want to blame is something of their own. It is always someone else's fault.

6. Miro

Miro Registered

I've raced rF2 online over a mobile USB connection lol as I moved to a new residence ;). Even done endurance racing and it worked. Only time I had trouble was when somebody from oversea was with me on the servers.

But now with wired connection I haven't seen any problems, wheel banging included in OW cars. Sometimes you got slight damage, sometimes not depending on the contact. Sometimes you even see a small part of the front wing going of but it doesn't really affect the performance which is very cool.

7. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

From here in the US, I have gone 2 wide into Dun Ringill with a European driver, just a RCH separating our wheels. I have been on the rear bumper of Aussies at Sandown. Always rear bumper, those buggers are fast down there. I have gone wheel to wheel into St. Devote with a Malaysian in WCR 60's F3, we were 2 wide... OK that didn't turn out so good, but it was not bad netcode LOL! Everything was great, no lag or warp, but then we learned why you can't go 2 wide into St Devote.

1) most people have no clue what bad netcode even means. If it means "doesn't magically make my crappy connection over wifi good" then yes, it is crappy netcode.
    2)
    3) rF2 was built from the ground up around this awesome netcode. Other games will add it on at some point.
    4) If you ever played Race 07 circa 2007, you know what bad netcode means. If you were there in those early days, then you can talk.

8. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

lol. It probably will!!

9. Desmond

Desmond Registered

I was in a karting server the one time I was able to join and everything seemed very smooth. I expected more like LFS, where people's cars are constantly flipping every which way as they go down the track. Not bad at all.

I am still having major issues getting multiplayer to work tho. My join button is always greyed out, and the program never wants to download the mods. Extremely frustrating.

10. rer8

rer8 Registered

There is a Bittorrent Sync that keeps most of the tracks up to date. The secret is somewhere here in the isi forums... I don't have time to look it up for you. I think if you get your tracks up to date and download the isi cars you don't have you should be able to find an online race that will keep you going for a while... you might consider F3 Fanatics, or F3 for Rookies... both rooms have a good following and great guys to spend a racing evening with... I have my Bitttorrent Sync, synced directly to my Packages folder... works great... Give it a shot, Desmond. Good luck... hope to see you on track soon.

11. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Did I completely dream it or are you getting European servers at some point?
    Might even be a different game genre altogether...memory is shocking!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  12. Woodee

Woodee Registered

I remember probably 10 years ago, you couldn't get close to many car in multiplayer without things going crazy and god forbid you made contact, everything just went to hell!

I remember the first try of the demo of rF1 with the Howstons at Toban racing with friends, we were banging doors and rubbing paintwork into the turns and we were able to do it safe. I nearly fell off my chair with laughter at it all as it was like a breath of fresh air to be able to not worry about slight contact ruining someone's race.