Finding out gear ratios? List in here finished.

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by Navigator, Feb 16, 2015.

1. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Hi guys,

I don't know if some of you are interested, but I am making a ratio file for myself and thought I'd upload when ready.

Why? Well, I was looking for ratios to set the gears and I wanted (lets say) 2,345 So I tried the numbers: 25/4, no 23/5, no and so on and so on........
    That wasn't funny at all :)
    So I thought I'd let excel do all the work, write down the gear ratio and let colums calculate; settings the highest on top, ratio next to it.
    Well, let excel do the work........I think taking up a calculator and do all the calculations by myself, would have probably been easier than making all the formulas ;)

Anyway, you need a ratio of 1,3324 >> it's in the file......you can look scroll to the numbers as the highest value is on top, lowest at the bottom so easy to find and gearing teeth are right next to it.

It's not done yet; I have about 300 values now and not even at 1/4th.........
    It's going from around 4,00 down to 0,8 and all in between.

Hope someone can use it too, let me know and I'll upload!

Got it, here it is: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13313246/Gear ratio values.xlsx

Hope it's usefull but strongly recommend to use redapg's Gear settings Generator for the real- and hard work >> http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/22773-Generator-for-the-new-Gear-settings-in-the-HDV

This is just a "quick lookup" sheet.

With special thanks to MerlinC for making it possible!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2015
  2. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Ehm.....done, but.......

I made a mistake; the gears are the wrong way around; 15:3 = ratio 3 >> should be 3:15 = 3

Now I put in one box (excel) the line 15_3 and I can't find a way to turn that around. It's not that bad, but you might get confused (I know I do time and time again).

Does anyone know of a solution for this?
    Those are 2511 values; I really don't want to do this al by hand ;)

3. MerlinC

MerlinC Registered

what about using excel string and substring functions? Search for _ and concatenate the string the other way around. Not on my computer - but if issue persists I can quickly do it this evening - just let me know.

4. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Thanks for your reply MerlinC.

The functions you write about; I know nothing of........
    I did look on the internet though and found some "large and difficult writings"......looking to me as some kind of scripts.
    I have no idea what to do with those, plus; they were not for my problem; they were to alter numbers around in another way.

What I think is the hard part, is that the _ is actually there, as in 15_3 and all in one cell; I never found that on the internet.

If you're willing to take a look at it; please!
    I can send you the file when I get back home.
    Thanks mate.

5. redapg

redapg Registered

Just to say it.... you can use my online Gear-Generator to get XX:YY from A,BCD and the other way round.
    Simply use the Calculation table, select your A,BCD Values from the Dropdown and change Input Mode then, to get the XX:YY format. ;)

6. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Hi redapg,

You are right and I know. I used your (awesome) generator as you said in another topic for it and it worked perfectly.

However; I was going up and down........ your generator gave me the settings for 5 gears and I had to fill in 8, all of them with around 12 steps.
    So I had to fill those in and come up with numbers. You said already the site was slow sometimes and I needed lots of it.
    Going in the game, seeing it was not yet what I wanted, going back, doing it all again, shifting numbers, using the generator which had gotten slower......
    I just thought it would be nice to have a table for it so you can just read it off.
    So I made this, just for fun (and other cars I have to do) in addition to your generator.

Hehe, again we make something similar :)
    In this case, it's not two of the same kind; this is an addition to your program if you like to have a complete overview for some quick numbers; guys can't do without the generator I think.

Working with it was a pleasure btw; I started to appreciate your work and how you did that all, more and more every minute; very nice job!!

7. redapg

redapg Registered

Good to hear that my script is helpful, thank you.

And the slow speed of the script is also because of the fact, that the dropdowns get their values from a datatable, which has more than 8000 lines (1:99-->99:1) and if you calculate 8 gears with 8 options and 6 final drives, it unfortunately slows down a lot. :(

But i have a suggest for your Excel-table.
    When you add input fields for the final drive(s), bevel, max rpm and tire rolling circumference, you could preview which max speeds you reach with your values.

That can prevent from having to enter the game too often, to test things again and again.

8. Navigator

Navigator Registered

That's a good suggestion redapg, but there already is something for that; I used your generator for that :)

My sheet was just to "quickly look up some tiny bit higher/lower value". Your generator already tells me pretty well how fast the car will go; it's all I need ;)

I will post the sheet tonight; I make it a bit nicer and clean and with special thanks to MerlinC; it's okay now!
    He did some nice tricks and managed to turn the values around; I thought it wasn't possible :)

Thanks again MerlinC!!