File progression

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by Butters, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Butters

Butters Registered

Hi,

Can anyone please tell me if there is any natural order of progression to complete the car files? I am adapting the rftrainer files to suit my mod/models but I am not sure which file I should start and end with as I know they intertwine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Of main interest is the HDV and PM files.

Cheers,

Daniel

2. dandar

dandar Registered

I ussually do

Gearbox
    Engine
    Tires
    Suspension
    HDV
    Spinner & main GEN
    CAM
    SFX
    Cockpit
    Upgrades
    Damage

3. Butters

Butters Registered

Thanks for the reply Dandar really appreciate it.

Do you have any preferred tools of use for each particular file? Have gone through the rf1 tools and downloaded a few but not sure which supersedes which so would appreciate any input you may have in regards to tools available.

4. dandar

dandar Registered

I perfer to use Notepad++ "the hard way" for most of them, and a custom app I'm developing which is not even near to be completed so is still unreleased to the community.
    I've used and tested some "physics editors" but the things ends mostly with unexpected results.

So it's a matter to try any app & excel sheet that you encounter online and test it. Some will meet your expectations and some will not, it's your personal choice.
    This forum, nogrip racing and rfactor central are good places to look for.

5. Adrian

Adrian Registered

I usually do [everything else]->[HDV]->[VEH] sort of working from the bottom up to the top level. Mostly because the large percentage of the work is done at the start and I'm usually losing motivation by the end ;)

The number of tools you could/would use is inversely proportional to the amount of data you have. If you have the right data your just putting numbers in and there's no need for tools to help with that.

I.e. If you've mapped the cars suspension out then all you need to do is transfer those coords to the .PM however if you don't have that then you'd need to mock up a layout, put it into a suspension analyzer, check the kinematics and adjust till you had something that behaved like the real car.

ISI probably don't have many magical tools to help with their cars, just knowledge of cars, experience with how Rfactor reacts to things and access to a lot of data.