File called "Program" created during rFactor installation creates system problems

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Eco, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Eco

Eco Registered

Hello

I have been tracking down a problem with a windows service that has been inoperative since I installed rFactor2 (the iRacing service in fact). It seems that the error code that I get when I attempt to start it has been tracked to an issue where a program or installer incorrectly creates a file called "Program" in the system folder, and this then causes havoc with various windows functions that look for the program files folders and get hung up on that file.

I see that the file was created a few minutes after I installed rFactor 2, and various tracks and cars from the ISI website.

Can this file be removed? There's suggestions to rename it...but really it seems like it shouldn't be created in that location in the first place.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...am-which/72e7f311-c6f2-45ee-a5a3-3457ea179f6d

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2015
  2. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Our software doesn't create it. Our default paths are not that location. You must have selected that location.

3. Mibrandt

Mibrandt Registered

I have had that problem too recently - and it was really a pain to find out what caused the issue. Didnt know it was RF2 related though - I just deleted the "program" file and iRacing worked again. (I have RF2 installed in default location.)