FIA Formula Two Williams JPH1B Released

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 88mphTim, Sep 11, 2012.

1. oneill875

oneill875 Registered

Thats great thanks, I'll try some of those downshifts you mention. I think i am shifting down too much at key areas and not carrying enough speed through the entry points so i then have to balance the throttle a bit more.
    Initially I was taking the double right hander after the fast section in second, now I'm taking it in third but you mention forth so I'll try that.
    Do you soften the front much? Would that help with the turn in to the right handers?

Cheers,

Dan.

2. GTrFreak

GTrFreak Registered

I have to mention I indeed mentioned taking the double right hander in fourth, but I downshift 3 times, so in third. Then mid corner I upshift to fourth..

Im sorry.

Just soften it a few clicks, the springs however are max softness. Try decreasing Toe in and out on the front and rear. It makes the car more stable in corner entry.

3. oneill875

oneill875 Registered

Ah, right. Yes thats what I do (3-4) on exit of first RH into second. I have toe in set to as close to zero as I can but will soften the front springs, thanks.

4. GTrFreak

GTrFreak Registered

damn lol, misunderstanding to tha max!

First turn is 4th, second is in 3rd. What I'm talking about is the fast double right hander after the fast midsector. When coming from the back stretch in 6, downshift to 3, turn in and touch the apex, let it run wide and upshift and touch the apex of the second turn in fourth.

5. magog

magog Registered

I know this problem since I turned off the automatic clutch.
    Try immediately after hearing the ignition,depress the throttle and still keep the engine at a steady idle RPM .
    If you missed the right moment,engine will off.
    Translated using Google Translator,I hope intelligibly :)

6. oneill875

oneill875 Registered

Yep I got ya, thats what I thought. I havent tried the first in forth though.

7. fred.e

fred.e Registered

I've moved it to 55% and what a difference - I'm now running 57% Front only because of my driving style and enjoying it a lot more.

Thank you and to everyone that provided feedback I will make more adjustments to driving and set up based on your info.

Thanks again..!!

8. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

I agree, it is disconcerting. But the 60's cars were not set-up with massive camber-induced steering assistance since they had no downforce from aerodynamics and used manual (non-powered) steering (with relatively skinny and bias-ply tires on the front that were like hockey pucks compared to what is used today). All that adds-up to steering that will feel much lighter and like it is helping you go around the corner compared to the 60's cars that feel more like a road car.

Is it too light? I don't know...I am sure it will get tweaked. But drive the F1 cars (modern and 80's turbo) in iRacing and you get exactly the same OMG-the-car-is-steering-itself-around-corners feel that reminds you just how sharply a car can corner if it's purpose-built for racing. Of course if road cars were set-up like that, the accident rate would quadruple overnight.

9. tjc

tjc Registered

+1 and explains it all very nicely...

That`s why I felt it had poor ffb and feel/grip when I first drove it and commented on it but now, after having spent quite a bit of time driving it I realise it`s pretty much just like youv`e just explained there.

The 2012 F2 car is amazing imo, it just needs time spent on it to "learn" it`s secrets.

:)

10. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

But canned centering is still canned centering.. If you stop and turn the wheel hard right it shouldn't center at all. It should just sit there until the geometry of the car and movement put those forces into the steering column.

11. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

+1

You're adding canned effects to an FFB that has nothing canned.

12. Pluginz

Pluginz Registered

Thanks for all your advice on the steering ratios and locks guys :)

13. Timpie Claessens

Timpie Claessens Registered

This car really shows how terrible the curbs some of these modders use are
    The curbs on Mid Ohio should be nearly flat while this car flies 20feet in the air if you hit them wrong :p

14. Digi Lauda

Digi Lauda Registered

Quote Originally Posted by ZeosPantera View Post
    But canned centering is still canned centering.. If you stop and turn the wheel hard right it shouldn't center at all. It should just sit there until the geometry of the car and movement put those forces into the steering column.
    +1

I´m driving with a GT3 V2 an latest beta stuff 750/140. I made many experiments with the rtrainer car in devmode how to get the best control over the car.
    In dry conditions i could control the car very well no matter if i had the spring and dampening effects turned on or off ( on the wheel and in the control panel)

But when i turned on wet conditions with dpr and spr effects turned off i nearly couldn´t feel the car at all. Felt like driving on ice with no feeling for what the car is doing.
    With dpr and spr turned on ( both 0 on the wheel and 100% dampening in the cpl) the car gets weight and feels about correct for wet conditions and i was able to balance the car on the limit and even do some controlled drifting.

The wheel does not center itself when spring effect is turned on! It´s different from autocenter spring and the new fanatec drivers don´t even have this anymore.
    As far as i know spr and dpr effects can be sent from the game and if so it gives you valuable information about the driving situations. I´m nearly sure this is the case in rf2.

Maybe you can try this and tell me your opinion?
    If you are using 750/140 i would suggest to set the FFB multiplier in game a little higher. I´m using 1.32 now for the Formula 2, but not sure what is good for the rtrainer.
    And steering wheelrange according "vehicle set" and drift mode 0 is what i use................

digi

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2012
  15. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Right had some good sessions over this weekend

Love it !

Ignore my previous moaning, can't wait untill the updates & turbo is released for it, I've started getting use to the car & fiddled with controller settings, strange as my 1st reactions were mixed & slightly frustrating.

One thing I did notice as I tried it with x3 diferent sim wheels. Logitech / t500 / frex

There's a big diference between how this car reacts between each wheel ( I know the diference between the feel of each wheel I'm am referring to over & above this ) its surprising.

This sim car seems to be really optimised on the frex ( was the F2 driver in his f2 simulator video using a frex or another high end wheel ? Do the ISI team use frex ? )

I settled for 270 degrees wheel lock in the end.

Sooooo looking forward to updates/next build now

Great work ISI ! I think I can see what your really trying to achieve with this sim car.

16. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Registered

17. tjc

tjc Registered

18. Esteve Rueda

Esteve Rueda Registered

I think he's a noob without real experience, or he is lying... hahaha

Nah, I think we can trust him, and noob, I think isn't necessary to doubt about that :D

19. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

*IDEA* This might silence the naysayers

Since Bacheta says "...it's as close to the real thing as you can get without spending huge $$$."

Can we get the setup he used for testing? Maybe that would let us all know how the car is supposed to feel.

ISI could make it the default setup. I mean how awesome would that be? :D

This idea is so awesome it can't ever happen lol it's too good! :p

20. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

+1, this looks a fine idea!