Faulty Pointy Normals?

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Alex Sawczuk, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Alex Sawczuk

Alex Sawczuk Administrator Staff Member

The below trees and bushes all have pointy normals, there's no vertex alpha or colouring to mess with things yet some are darker than others? I've tried disabling shadows and fog yet the differences still remain...

I wonder if pointy normals aren't being generated correctly? (Do you need to do more than just tick the box now?)

pointynormals.JPG

2. blakboks

blakboks Registered

Hey Alex,
    Just out of curiosity, how come you're using pointy normals with trees? My impression of pointy normals was that it's to be used with stuff like grass, where its shading should match the terrain it rests on. So, when you view it from above, the grass mesh isn't shaded dark, while the grass texture on the terrain might be a lighter shade. I would think that trees would be mostly billboards, anyway, so their normals are facing the camera. And in the case where they're not, their normals would be 'bent'. Might this have to do with your tree shader?

Just information gathering, not trying to argue or tell you how it 'should' be done.

3. MonSum

MonSum Member

hi alex, here it is the same - as the trees are more dark on my side the effect is not so mutch visible like on your track, but you notice perfectly the differences in the color from tree object to tree object. i also do some test to avoid this effect - but without success in the moment.

4. Alex Sawczuk

Alex Sawczuk Administrator Staff Member

the trees here are x shaped, not billboarded, so pointy normals is the traditional method.

I dont have time to redo all the trees as billboards atm.

5. blakboks

blakboks Registered

So as to not create a whole 'nother thread about normals. Does anyone know if we still cannot export edited normals?