Fanatec csr question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rob1178, May 14, 2014.

1. rob1178

rob1178 Registered

Hi

Recently acquired a fanatec csr wheel to go with my clubsport pedals

I have connected the pedals through the wheel and not through USB

Should I be able to get the brake vibration working this way, or does it only work through USB?

Also, if it's with the wheel, do I need to report these as combined pedals or separate? What's the difference?

It also seems that accel and abs FFB is almost non existent, is there a specific setting I need for this?

Wheel has up to date firmware and driver

Thanks

2. datanode

datanode Registered

The opposite, brake vibration only works via wheel connection. BUT, connect it via USB and get vibration another way, a better way too.

Use fanaleds program to get vibration in rf2. You can set locking either front wheels to vibrate the brake pedal.

Don't use combined, as far as I know that is for compatibility with certain games that can't support multiple pedal axis, all this would do is reduce pedal positioning resolution (if that is what I think it is).

On that same note, connecting via USB increases pedal res. which is why I am recommending it.

Whatever you do, connecting via the wheel simulates pedal vibration at a configured peak, e.g. 100%, that is pretty gimmicky and pointless, the plugin route gives you proper feedback!

3. datanode

datanode Registered

Oh and if you mean vibration on the wheel (maybe you have different pedals) you can also simulate in the same way using fanaleds :)

4. rob1178

rob1178 Registered

I meant both actually, the brake pedal has a motor on it that works on test in windows but never in game

I use fanaleds for my sli-m so will try that route

I also noticed that when testing the FFB you can get accel vibration on the wheel, but I just don't feel it in game

Thanks for the tips

5. rob1178

rob1178 Registered

ok update.

now i have pedals via USB again, and vibration test does nothing on brake pedal.

i have had all the FFB boxes in fanaleds ticked all the time, and seemingly no effect is present.

is this an rf2 issue? or have i set it all up badly?

in fanaleds, when i look at the hardware menu, it just has wheel and SLI, my pedals dont show at all

6. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

I have not read the whole thread sorry if some suggestion comes twice.

You have copied the fanaled plugin in the rF2 plugin folder?
    Try to lower the slider for the brake rumble until it match with the locking wheels
    The vibration on the pedal is very weak.
    It is normal to see no pedal in fanaleds.
    Can you test the vibration on the pedal with windows device manager/ game controller setting?

7. rob1178

rob1178 Registered

yes fanaleds works in rf2, the SLI-M is fine and selecting rumble on engine RPM does affect the wheel. the .dll plug in is in the right place.

I have tested the pedal vibration in windows and fanatec wheel property page, and the motor in the pedal does not move at all. the wheel is fine in terms of vibration.

thanx

8. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

I presume there is a hardware problem or (very unlikely) a driver problem. Have you tried the pedals on a other pc ?

I use the beta181 driver and the 757 firmware build.

9. datanode

datanode Registered

This is very confusing.

Reconnect it via the wheel, does the motor work still?

If not:

1. What pedals do you have
    2. Has something broken the cable, if it is v1 and you haven't rerouted the motor cable it will probably get split if you tried to move pedal position
    3. Is the motor blocked
    4. Have you plugged the lead into the wrong header their are two, don't change it if you haven't and don't do it without knowing you are plugging it in correctly. You could fry it? Check fanatec support pages. If you need I will take a photo of the board and post it for a v1

No matter what you should be able to get motor vibration via pressing vibration test in the pedal control panel.

Only rfactor2 lacks the direct implementation of vibrating the pedal via USB. It doesn't send an instruction. Fanaleds is doing this for you and tying it to locking of brakes. Which is how it should be :)

So when connected via the wheel it just simulates the vibration at a percentage of brake travel / pressure. Which is not so great.

But you have other issues, you need to first be able to have it connected via USB and press the test button and get the vibration.

10. rob1178

rob1178 Registered

Thanks,

I have had it USB for a year and only once or twice had any motion from it. 756 fw and tried connecting via wheel and USB, no movement on either.

They are v1, up to date drivers from fanatec. I've tried fanaleds as well, no luck

I haven't moved the pedals at all, and I've not got any knowledge of boards etc so I'm not sure I'd know there difference if there was a problem!

The motor moves freely when I move it by hand, the pedals themselves work perfectly so I'm really stumped. I've uninstalled, reinstalled and updated to latest drivers and nothing

11. datanode

datanode Registered

Hmm well, the fact you get no movement of that motor at all suggests it is dead?

I presume this is pressing the vibration test on the pedals in control panel?

Game controllers > clubsport pedals
    > vibration test*

I am using drivers 177. But the download for csp v1 says 144 is latest.

Firmware is for wheel, don't think the pedals are affected, so this won't make any difference unless connected via the wheel.

When you press the brake pedal does the travel go all the way?

View attachment 12750

(New drivers look slightly different now) but the intention is just that you are not looking at a wheel page property.

Is the potentiometer dialled round correctly?

If you want to know if it works, I guess you could connect via the wheel and set the abs value to a low value like 25 and then at 25% input it should activate.

Have you looked at the board to ensure the lead is ok, that it is plugged in correctly?

12. rob1178

rob1178 Registered

Yes that's the driver page that I use to test pedals

Not sure how to test potentiometer, but yes it does depress all the way down

I updated to 177 driver via the fanatec page and even though that was a wheel driver it still says that for pedals

I have connected via wheel with no success but may try to play with abs settings as I am still new to these. When I set abs to 000 in wheel settings, I get a constant rumble in the wheel, even when I am not even in rf2, or any game for that matter, it just rumbles in windows. Any setting above 000 stops this, and also off stops this

13. datanode

datanode Registered

Ok well maybe I am not explaining well enough. When connected via the wheel abs value is the percentage of brake pedal travel/pressure that will cause an abs effect on wheel rim and on brake pedal.

The potentiometer can reduce the sensitivity of the brake pedal. The only reason I mention that is in case the travel / pressure was only ever hitting 50% and abs was say 100.

To me it is clear you have something that is broken and I suggest you contact fanatec support.

If they are less than two years old they are still in warranty. Under eu law there is a 6 year warranty on electronic components anyway.

Double check the motor behind the pedal is plugged in first though.

Do your pedals look exactly like those in the picture?

14. datanode

datanode Registered

15. rob1178

rob1178 Registered

yes they look as in the picture

i have spoken to Fanatec already, they said as there is no vibration on the wheel either for ABS (seems to not be affected at all by the on wheel setting for ABS) then i may have a wheel problem

it also re-centres itself mid race, once every 2 laps or so, so this would point to a wheel issue?

16. datanode

datanode Registered

Sorry, I am trying my best to help but struggling to follow.

Post #12 I have wheel rumble constantly.

Post #15 you tell fanatec you get no rumble.

Rfactor2 doesn't support the abs function via USB. What were you expecting?

17. rob1178

rob1178 Registered

thanks Datanode,

i looked at the board and the brake motor was not in the same socket as yours, it was in the socket marked 400, whereas yours is in 401

i reconnected to the other socket and it now works in fanatec properties page. will now try in game!

18. rob1178

rob1178 Registered

its not consistent for me either lol

thanks for trying to keep up.

right, i set on wheel ABS to 000 and it would always rumble. i now know this is because it is being told to look for the brake to be at 000 and then apply rumble, so it will always rumble if i dont have the brake depressed

what i also get is when driving, and ABS is set to anything over 000, i drive, lock the brakes and there is no change in FFB on the wheel - as in it doesnt go light like you'd expect, it doesnt rumble on the wheel either even though it does when you set it to 000.

is there a .plr setting that says send FFB on brake to the pedal / wheel axis? same as throttle?

19. datanode

datanode Registered

OOo :) forget all the other stuff now.

Rf2 doesn't work by default for the abs. There are no plr settings. The only way to get this to work and work well it does is to use fanaleds.

So, plug it in via USB and double check the button vibration test in the fanatec cp to ensure it still works.

Get the latest version of fanaleds.

Copy the dll file from the fanaleds folder that is to be placed in the rfactor2 plugins folder. All in the instructions.

Run fanaleds and then ensure the abs on locking is ticked (forget the exact option)

The reason everything wasn't working was the pedals were plugged in wrong is all.

Ensure fanaleds is running when you launch rfactor.

IIRC there is an option fanaleds recommends you turn off as well. But that is just to do with displaying the speed.

Glad we got somewhere :)

20. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

FYI, not read all the posts so sorry if this has already been suggested. Have you followed the thin black lead/cable that runs from the brake pedal vibration motor down to the small pcb situated below the load cell sensitivity knob? Is the connector fully in? It hasn't by any chance been accidentally unplugged in the past and you plugged it back in? If so, good chance it's been inserted the wrong way around.