Failed to launch SyncManager

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by calstanley, Nov 2, 2014.

1. calstanley

calstanley Registered

Trying to update from rFactor2 from 798 to 880.
    A long list of files is copied - then the message - "Failed to launch SyncManager. Ensure that SyncManager.exe is located in the Update directory". SyncManager.exe is in the Update directory, but if I double click on it I get an error message - "SyncManager.exe is not a valid Win32 application"
    What's up?
    Thanks

2. calstanley

calstanley Registered

Is there somewhere I can download a copy of the file - SyncManager.exe - ?

3. calstanley

calstanley Registered

Well, problem solved, but the answer really sucks. When I couldn't update to Build 880, I started looking for an earlier build to see if I could find out where the problem was. There it is - Build 860 -

"FEATURES:
    ————-
    - Dropped support for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 to make exploitation of state of the art Windows APIs possible."

Some "Feature" - all I have to do now is basically build a new PC so I can play a glorified (but really good) video game. Had I known that they were planning to abandon the XP platform I never would have paid for a lifetime membership.

Live and learn.

4. crz

crz Registered

Just upgrade to a newer OS, why building a new PC? If your machine can handle rF2 it sure can handle Win 7 or 8. I understand your frustration though, you bought rF2 under different expectations.

5. calstanley

calstanley Registered

Unfortunately there's really no upgrade path from XP to Win 7 or Win 8. If you go on the Microsoft website you can download a program that will tell you which of your programs and what hardware will or won't work with the new OS. I would have to replace or upgrade Adobe Photoshop, Nikon Capture NX2, and several other very pricey titles. I stayed away from Assetto Corsa because they plainly said - no XP support, not now, not ever. RF2 wasn't quite as up front.

6. Carlo

Carlo Registered

If your machine runs XP, then most likely it will run Win 7. Just make sure drivers are available for the devices you use. If no drivers are available, you can often use Vista drivers (I had to do this with my old photo scanner and one of my printers).

I have one D875PBZ P4 machine that I built in 2003 running Windows 7 32-bit. The only thing that doesn't work is RAID off the Intel ICH5 SATA I controller. For this I bought a $32 SATA II host-raid controller. This machine can run Win 7, but not 8.1. If you have a Core II Duo or newer, you likely won't have any problems.

As for software, most XP based software can run under Windows 7, either through XP-Mode or compatibility settings. For example, Photoshop CS2 runs fine on Win 7 without any fuss.

View attachment 14792

You can purchase a copy of Windows 7 from Newegg.com. I just bought another copy of Windows Ultimate a couple of days ago (from a distributor, not Newegg).

7. crz

crz Registered

Yep, XP mode did the trick on most applications I had trouble with under Win 7. If that doesn't work properly you can always set up dual boot with Win XP and Win 7. Not ideal but better than no rF2 at all I think.

8. calstanley

calstanley Registered

Do you have to install the 32-bit version of Win 7 in order to run older software in XP mode?

9. crz

crz Registered

10. calstanley

calstanley Registered

OK - One more question
    Once I install Win 7 do I have to re-install the XP programs or will the new OS find them and run them as they are?