EuskoTestTrack

Discussion in 'Locations' started by SPASKIS, Nov 26, 2017.

1. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I have already implemented the possibility to apply different throttle/brake inputs at different sections of the track. As you can see the system is provided with TC and ABS to get full use of available grip (circle of traction). So it is pretty much like an scalectric with electronic aids :).

I have also changed car behaviour graphs so that all car reactions appear in the same graph so that I can extend it horizontally. Speed Throttle/Brake inputs go in the same graph with different Y axis scale.
    IMG-20171207-WA0006.jpeg
    Here is an overview of the Excel file so that you can have an idea of the required calculations involved. The required time to do an iteration is compatible with a realtime runtime. So yes, potentially it could be transformed into an scalextric game if programmed under the correct platform.

Next steps will be:
    - Plotting of spots where reaction forces adopt impossible values (crashing).
    -Possibility of importing rF2 tracks via AIW. Semiautomatic probably.
    -Possibility to import motec telemetry. This should be helpful for:
    -drawing a track based on fast path and not on centerline.
    - adjust car parameters by means of simple test conditions to be used later with complex trajectories.
    - creating throttle/brake inputs based on real driving.

I will make a small video to better show actual capabilities and to explain future things.

IMG-20171207-WA0004.jpeg

Corti and Seven Smiles like this.
  2. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I already implemented the plotting of the areas where reaction limits are exceeded.
    I will later show how it works.

I also fine tuned car characteristics for Formula ISI default setup. These comprises:
    Straight line testing (with TC and ABS)
    - free deceleration (neutral gear) to obtain drag and lift aero values.
    - acceleration testing to obtain engine power.
    -full brake: to obtain braking force. I will probably change to braking power after seeing the result.

I still have to correlate available grip with the circular track in flat configuration. I will make a more complete report when tests are completed.

For now I can show a phone taken picture of the straight line testing where both telemetries are compared.
    IMG-20171208-WA0003.jpeg

Corti likes this.
  3. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I finished the correlation of vehicle characteristics. Circular track results were also very accurate.
    I will tomorrow check how much throtle I can apply when switching TC off.
    My simulator says that I can use about 70% of available power. Let's see...

With the collected data I will design a superloop where hopefully the car ends up driving face down.
    It will be the definitive test to see how useful the datasheet can be.

I have realized that I need to do something to use cars and tracks in a library mode so that I can easily load cars and tracks.
    This starts to remind me to something familiar :)

upload_2017-12-8_23-19-6.png

Corti likes this.
  4. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

According to my tool the following track could be done by Formula ISI car. It would need around 1'12'' to complete its 5500m. I'll now have to build the road and test it.
    I might need to change gear values since according to simulation the car will reach 430 kph in the big downslope.

Green areas represent the points where TC is enabled which means you cannot go full throttle without wheel spinning. There are 4 vertical zones.... We'll compare rF2 telemetry with the presimulated one there. In previous tests weirtd things happened when the car was vertical.
    I should be also able to test which aero configuration is best. But first is building the track.
    upload_2017-12-9_1-56-57.png

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
    Pauli Partanen and Corti like this.
  5. Raintyre

Raintyre Registered

Interesting project mate! We are learning a lot about some situations that are rarely explored.

SPASKIS likes this.
  6. Pauli Partanen

Pauli Partanen Registered

You are excel wizard! Amazing work

Corti likes this.
  7. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I also finished the track/car selection feature. Main screen remains pretty much the same. The name of the track and car appear at the heading of its respective data (left side of the screen). Now I can easily swap cars and tracks without having to copy/paste the values from the library.

upload_2017-12-9_19-50-53.png

I have configured a library of cars and tracks from which the values are laoded to the main screen.
    The throttle/brake input is linked to the combo. This is how the library looks like:

upload_2017-12-9_19-47-26.png

bravotangosix and Corti like this.
  8. dylbie

dylbie Registered

Do we have pit boxes in this map yet? I'm thinking it would be epic in multiplayer!

9. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

The spreadsheet is a simplified real scale scalextric simulator where the car follows a predetermined path and throttle and brake inputs are predefined. In the same way as in scalextric, there is no pitlane.

In order to become an actual scalextric game someone would have to convert it into a realtime application. I don't have the knowledge for that. It would require some adjustments.

One advantage with respect to scalextric is that in multiplayer all cars could drive in exactly the same path without colliding (like in Android version of Motorsport Manager).

Considering that input is only throttle and brake, the application would be very suitable for mobile devices.

Corti likes this.
  10. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Today's progress report.
    I modified the spreadsheet in order to implement variable curvature. This is important in order to make smooth transitions between different curvature sections.
    I also made some fine adjustments in order to increase the precision of the curve.

Nothing apparently very fancy but which took quite some time to do.

My next step will be to simplify the task of importing the designed track into BTB. I would like to make it fully automatic. Let's see what we can get...

I will do the tests with the loop designed to be able to drive face down with Formula ISI which I will redesign after having introduced the variable curvature feature. It should eliminate the sudden tyre load variation which should improve the driveability of the track.

I also want to make a small preview of the job made so far so all explanations so far are better understood.

11. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Here you have the initial design of the loop which provides very big normal reaction variations as the last graph shows.
    You can also check in the XY plot that now the circuit is now fully contained in ZX plane. If you check in previous posts it was a bit out of plane due to the inaccuracies that I fixed today.

upload_2017-12-10_21-35-14.png
    upload_2017-12-10_21-35-41.png

Corti likes this.
  12. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

The import was really straightforward since BTB accepted CSV format.
    As you see I will have to solve the problem of BTB not being designed to draw face down roads
    upload_2017-12-10_22-55-12.png

Corti and Seven Smiles like this.
  13. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

And here is the result. The normal reaction is much smoother now. It only jumps at some selected places so that you notice that you need to lift the thottle a little bit. As you can also see, there are three green zones where full throttle should produce wheelspin. Immediately before the initial downslope you have to reduce speed a little bit. Simulation expects a ten meter braking under ideal conditions. I guess in reality it will not be even necessary since it will be extremely difficult to to use all available grip in the green marked areas. If you think it will be an easy track I guess you might surprise! The expected laptime is 1' 15" for Formula ISI with default setup but unlimited speed which is the car for which has been designed the track. I will probably have to modify car gear ratio to do the test. I am not sure if actual version will be capable

Tomorrow I will export it to BTB. Hopefully at night I will be able to implement it to the latest version of EuskoTestTrack.
    The actual loop of the track will be completely redesigned and renamed to "the corkscrew" ...
    Do you need more hints for guessing what's coming next?

upload_2017-12-11_2-49-35.png

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
    Corti likes this.
  14. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I already implemented speed limiter. With limiter set at 110 mps (396 kph) it still makes the track. However, the gear adjustment seems unavoidable for the test.
    upload_2017-12-11_3-27-51.png

Corti likes this.
  15. dadaboomda

dadaboomda Registered

Thank you for this track.

You can both have fun doing crazy things, train in a certain way and do tests and experiments.

EDIT :
    And perhaps configure your wheel to avoid clipping.

Corti and SPASKIS like this.
  16. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

The idea of the track will be both testing and having some fun. For sure clipping is one of the things that can be adjusted. The variety of controlled conditions to do so will be more than welcome.

The excel tool which I will be using to define all testing areas is READY to be shown. I just finished the latest details that I wanted to have ready in order to a do a demo. It is too late tonight but hopefully tomorrow I will be able to make a small video presentation.

I won't give further details for now... Stay tuned!

17. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

A day later than promised here is the presentation of the EuskoTracks Design Tool.

18. pkelly

pkelly Registered

Wow, Spaskis, you modders continue to amaze me with your creativity :D

Pauli Partanen likes this.
  19. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

20. Rastas

Rastas Registered