Engine Health

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by Juergen-BY, Dec 31, 2016.

1. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Hi,
    i`m just wondering if it would be possible that we may could get back the engine health display (%)?

/Edit: and IF it was never there in rF2, could we get it as a new feature?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
    bhendrik, gpfan and Pauli Partanen like this.
  2. Pauli Partanen

Pauli Partanen Registered

Im wondering same!

Juergen-BY likes this.
  3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

That was never part of the game. A couple of the HUD plugins had calculations but that was it.

4. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

That would be basically cheating to me, people already get way too many realtime readings in the TrackMap plugin, way more than they ever should have access to whilst driving

peterchen and Alex72 like this.
  5. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Hm...not sure, but i thought it was there in earlier builds. Later it was disabled in TrackMap, because it was no longer available in the rF2 API?

//Edit: from the TM release notes:

You may would wondering, wich amount of data (and wide range) is available to the real race car driver...
    http://www.race-technology.com/gb/racing/review-and-information/new-to-data-logging
    http://www.sae.org/students/presentations/data_acquisition_by_frank_a_whiton.pdf

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Na, was never part of the plugin interface, in rF1 or rF2. TM might have stopped it because it couldn't get the required parameters from encrypted mods? You can calculate how much wear has happened pretty accurately (I think the parameters, and therefore the calculation, is still the same as rF1) without the benefit of knowing what any random factors are, but if you don't know the mod and you can't get into the files you can't really work out anything.

7. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

OK, just in case you`re right (assuming you`re ;-)) i edited my first post :D

8. claytonbrown

claytonbrown Registered

Note really. My understanding is the RPM's and Heat are used to calculate the health. Generally your engineer would monitor those things and inform you of the health. I don't watch too much of the smaller series but you see it in F1, they radio Hamilton and essentially tell him to baby the engine for a while. So I think it's providing you with information that you would normally have at your disposal.

Juergen-BY likes this.
  9. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Thats exactly the point!

@Marcel Offermans
    Please give us the engine wear display

10. lordpantsington

lordpantsington Registered

Even with cup/challenge level GT cars the ECU will store high RPM history. Typically what I've seen is a counter that measures the time at which you surpass a defined RPM. There is a defined guideline at which you should inspect or fully rebuild. With data logging you can set up the same system, you'll just need to go out of game to read it. Think of that as your engineer plugging in ta laptop.

11. stonec

stonec Registered

Most mods also have a random factor in the engine lifetime. So for example, the engine lifetime is 180 minutes with +-20 minutes variance. Knowing the variance as well is "cheating", since you couldn't possible eliminate all uncertainties in real life, as the Hamilton engine failure showed. You are requesting for a feature which no other sim reports either and is not very relevant to have IMO.

12. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Just use a tape on your screen for the position where the engine wear is displayed, problem solved. :rolleyes:

McFlex likes this.
  13. stonec

stonec Registered

I just think there should be engine failures in a sim. With this feature enabled, all engine failures will be eliminated from broadcasts of league races such as FSR or VEC. Less excitement.

14. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

To be honest I think this might be interesting, but mostly when it can be coupled with an engine which is tied to a season or successive events :)

Championship plugin where engine status and tire usage is transmitted and stored on the race server, would that be nice maybe?

15. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Just want to repeat...this is a feature, wich is used in real cars and real races, too!

16. Lazza

Lazza Registered

People just automatically arc up because they're worried it will be completely accurate and everyone can set up their car and drive it to within 0.5% of its life without failing.

Mind you, many people want realism but scream blue murder when they've had a good race and their engine fails for no apparent reason. It's a bit like wet weather, everyone wants it then many complain when they fall off.

The deeper issue here is that the engine wear calculation is difficult to work with: wear increases exponentially as you surpass the wear points, but also reduces exponentially below those points.

Anyway, obviously the possibility to somehow carry engine/damage condition across races would be great, but simpler would be (defined) engine performance degradation from wear.

17. lordpantsington

lordpantsington Registered

It is already broken/inaccurate per se, as we enter every race(/session?) with a new engine.

You already can pull the lifetime/variance info out of the files, and flog the car to within 0.5% of its life.

Carrying over wear would be great, but then people would just force a rebuild prior to every race and you are back to where you started. I'm not sure how you would limit that as it is a Cost/Time Spent vs Performance/Reliability thing that causes teams to not IRL.

Juergen-BY likes this.
  18. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I think if variance is a good 10-20% of the overall lifetime you give people room to gamble - and they will to varying degrees. They still complain when it dies though.

Well it would only be pertinent in series that limited the number of engines, like recent F1 (and probably its feeder series, at least). Mind you the implementation wouldn't be a pretty job, evidently just managing a single 'weekend' is hard enough already.

I wouldn't expect the sim to look at my car that's done 46000 km and give me 4% less power or anything like that.

Juergen-BY likes this.
  19. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

These are really a lot of good ideas, Lord & Lazza...for the very first step, (IMHO) it would be fine to have the wear display. Maybe switchable through server settings, that all people are pleased...

20. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

Saying that engine wear is something that is available in real racing where cars actually suffer from engine failures is quite hilarious.

Race engineers can track many variables to estimate engine wear. Oil/water temps, power, fuel consumption,... I wonder if we should better ask first for a degradation of engine performance with measurable indicators of it rather than an actual ramaining life indicator.