Empty Series list

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by wombat778, May 9, 2015.

1. wombat778

wombat778 Registered

I reinstalled rFactor 2 after several years of shelving it, as I heard good things about the more recent versions. I have run into an issue that I cannot seem to solve.

After downloading the Full version of the 946 installer, then downloading and installing a bunch of mods using the package manager, I found that my Series list is empty, and my only choice is to select All Cars and Tracks. I can still select cars/tracks using the applicable menu (since it is stuck on All Cars and Tracks), but there seems to be no way to choose a specific Series. I have tried (i) uninstalling and reinstalling several times, (ii) doing a full clean uninstall/reinstall, scrubbing registry entries, appdata folder, etc., and (iii) downloading and installing the Lite installer. None of these seems to have any effect, and that list is always empty.

Attached are screenshots showing when I get when I untick All Cars and Tracks after a clean install of the Full content installer. The only choice I have is an Info button, which similarly brings up a blank list. I feel like I must be missing something obvious or doing something silly, since I don't seem to see anyone else describing this problem.

Any ideas would be very appreciated. Thanks!!

PS, running on Windows 8.1, 64bit.

2. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

In order to use series you need them installed. they are vmods which you either make yourself or obtain from others/servers.
    My guess is you don't have any, hence the empty list.

AllCars is rf2's general vmod which displays everything installed. after that you need individual vmods to use series or whatever you want.
    http://legends-league.com/wiki/rf2Vmods

3. wombat778

wombat778 Registered

Aha! Thanks Denstjiro. I will give that a shot and see if it works. For some reason I had in my head that each of the car mods came with a respective series...

4. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Nope, its exactly the opposite so far, gotta create your own or find a series-mod :)

5. wombat778

wombat778 Registered

Unfortunately, I think I am still having trouble. I have now installed essentially all mods off of the ISI site, as well as most off rfactorcentral and bunch of other "vmods" I have found on the internet. This includes a bunch that would really have expected would be a "Series" within rfactor, such as the ISI Formula Masters, Meganes Trophy, Kart Cup, etc. Still my "Series" list is completely empty, though I am able to select any of the cars from the Cars section. Is it supposed to be this way?

6. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Yes.
    You say you installed vmods but I think you installed mods (cars/tracks)

A vmod is a small file and does little else then determine what cars and tracks are used. so if you create a vmod using all GT cars you have installed, plus 10 tracks, then you have your series. and then it will be selectable in 'series' in rf2.
    The cars themselves are single mods/cars, but combined they only show up in the vmod you made or obtained from others.

check the link I posted earlier, just try it, add a random car and track, save it. open rf2 and you will see what it does.

As said before, you either create your own, or get them from others, usually servers. this is also how servers are setup, if you join a server you download the vmod, it checks your game, if you have the content already you join the server, if not, you download the content on the spot.

after you left the server you will see this particular vmod is still in your rf2-series. and you can even use it offline.

7. wombat778

wombat778 Registered

Thanks Denstjiro, you are right. It is working now after following those instructions. Thanks very much for the help (and patience)!