Editing strength of the reflections

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by hamiltonfan2205, Oct 5, 2015.

1. hamiltonfan2205

hamiltonfan2205 Registered

Hi

The next race I have is round Singapore, and as its a night race I want to get this track looking as good as I can get it. I find for night tracks like Singapore, turning HDR off makes the graphics of night tracks look better.

As you can see there the lights do reflect but not to as much strength as I would like. How would I go about increasing the strength (brightness) of the reflection? I know in reflection type there is Cubic and Planar, does that have somin to do with it, if not does somin else?

https://gyazo.com/a3a670ed6eb2ec4d7d9fcf59201be7bd

2. stonec

stonec Registered

Cubic and Planar defines the reflection map which is basically the environment reflected, that setting is mainly useful for wet surface or car paint, trees are not supposed to reflect environment much at all. Reflected light amount is defined by Diffuse, Ambient and Specular material settings. Omni lights look a bit weak on your track as well, if the light itself is weak materials won't reflect much.

3. blakboks

blakboks Registered

To expand on what stonec said, I'm guessing you're looking for more specular reflections of the lights? Similar to what you see on the road in this image: View attachment 18181

This is actually currently not supported at all with ISI's shaders (for any light other than the sun and maybe headlights(?)). The most you can get is a 'diffuse' light, that doesn't have any direct, mirror-like, reflections.

4. hamiltonfan2205

hamiltonfan2205 Registered

I am talking about the reflections on the cars

5. Tosch

Tosch Registered

The best solution I've found so far is to change the shader for the light glow material to "high luminance sun" (It's the only shader capable to burn through the tonemapper at night, maybe you have to adjust the textures) and add all light glow instances to REFMAP0 and REFLECTEDENV (don't forget the reflect plane) for nice wet track reflections.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2015
  6. Nuno Lourenço

Nuno Lourenço Registered

Man you're a legend! That reflections bring imola from PCars at night to my head. Amazing stuff.