Dx12

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Descoat, Feb 8, 2015.

1. Descoat

Descoat Registered

I'm very interested if ISI is planning to move from dx9 to dx12 when windows 10 will be available or a bit later.

Thanks.

2. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I going to assume you never tried typing "DX12" in the Search Box. ;)

3. Descoat

Descoat Registered

Yes mate, I saw different old threads and no official words from ISI. It's not a wish, but will be easier for us to decide which next GPU. SLI and CF doesn't work properly but under dx12 can be completely different ( half screen rendered by every GPU ).

4. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Does for me.

5. rhamm

rhamm Registered

Since they haven't answered the answer would be "not anytime soon".

6. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

iracing has been working on porting their software over to dx 11 for three years now and still not done. Man, sounds to me like it's a long term project.

7. Prodigy

Prodigy Registered

From the first tests, DX12 has the same performance that AMD Mantle API has now, even slightly worse but I concur it will differ from game to game. But the good thing is it goong to work with both Amd and nVidia, while Mantle is limited to Amd only.

But definitelly big perfomance boost over DX11.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2015
  8. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

AMD Mantle (and possibly DX12) are saying that they are now going to be able to add both GPUs' RAM in SLI/Crossfire so, for eg., if you have 2 GTX 780s in SLI, you'll have 6GB of RAM rather than 3GB like currently. It has to be programed into the game though rather than just working automatically.

9. Descoat

Descoat Registered

Thanks man. Could you please let me know which AMD GPUs do you use and the difference beetween one and two? Double gpu like 7990 or 295x2 also should work. And do you have micro stuttering?

Yes, Spinelli, use of VRam will be different ad added in CF or SLI.
    Dx11 has not enough advantage from dx9 but dx12 will be a big step.

10. MarcG

MarcG Registered

See my tech specs on the left, only noticed micro stuttering at one track out of 15ish that I've raced on, not sure why that one caused it (Essington).

Difference is much smoother gameplay with higher details.

11. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

People asked if ISI were ever going to use a 64bit.exe and never really got deffinate answers but ISI delivered. I am sure its in the pipeline for the lifetime of the title, which let's face it, it could be 10 + years from now.

12. kimikaze

kimikaze Registered

For first is still not clear how Microsoft will distribute Windows10, many sites and Microsoft itself claim, that will be free to upgrade for first year, but after that i am not so sure, even for exsisting windows 10 user it can happen, they will need to start paying monthly subscription or at least for some fundamental functions or applications. Something stinks here if you ask me. Or Maybe i am just paranoid.

13. yusupov

yusupov Registered

its just a free upgrade, period. you have one year to claim it, after that it must be bought.

14. stonec

stonec Registered

Oculus Rift is going to deprecate DX9, so change has to come sooner than that if they want to properly support VR headsets.

15. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

True. Haven't thought about vr personally as I can't get my head around how a user would use his rig equipped with button boxes and hardware dials etc.

16. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

I was able to use KB, mouse, joystick, etc, without having to look. It didn't take long to get used to not seeing it. And it also doesn't make any difference that the arms in the game aren't reaching to the same area as you'd barely notice that anyway, if at all, you'd be too busy focussing on the target or the farthest point on the race track visible to you.

^^ if you want the opinion of someone who went into VR as a skeptic.

17. Eddy

Eddy Registered

Question Tim. How much chance do you give future rift owners that they can use rFactor2 with it. Now oculus doesn't support dx9 anymore. I'm noob in this kind of stuff but was saving for cv1 for rf2 only use.

18. stonec

stonec Registered

It does support DX9 for now, deprecating is just first step of telling devs not to depend on DX9 in future. Exactly what limitations will come, I don't know.

19. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

From rF2 facebook regarding oculus rift:

Soon as in when you want it? Probably not. We'll do as we previously stated on Facebook, etc, that we've begun work (as people have found in our game files), but we refuse to allocate time to try to catch a moving target we're going to have to constantly fix. We have plenty of other things to do that with that aren't moving right now.

20. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

Why does Occulus actually care about DX version?

I thought they use stereoscopic drivers from the card manufacturer and act just as a dual display...