DX12 (and making full use of it) w/ rFactor 2 - WE HOPE!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Spinelli, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Depco

Depco Registered

Sure would be nice if ISI would tip their hand as to if they are planning on going to DX11-12. The drop of XP is a nice first step but it really leaves alot to the players/posters imagination.

2. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Registered

Oh, i see.

3. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

They tipped their hand a LONG time ago. There is no plan to switch from DX9. Not with rF2, though they have not ruled out the possibility of DX12. But this interview makes it sound like they aren't leaving DX9 at all.

http://rfactor.net/web/rf2/devscorner/community-qa/

4. Depco

Depco Registered

Yeah I remember reading that some time back... was thinking that Tim might rethink the position, having seen the competition in more detail and such.

5. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

DX11 is great but honestly not too needed yet. Resting with just DX9 and going straight to DX12, WHILE MAKING SURE TO FULLY, "PROPERLY" TAKE AS MUCH ADVANTAGE OF DX12 AS POSSIBLE, is would be just fine with me. RF2 already drives and looks amazing to me (especially with the rich and deep look that 3D Vision gives it), and tons can still be done with DX9 in terms if lighting, insanely sharp and detailed textures, shaders, shadows, HDR, etc. so waiting 2-3 years for a full-blown taken advantage of DX12 version would be just fine with me. I just want them to fully take advantage of DX12, rather than just some half-assed hackjob just so that they can say they use it.

That's all I ask for, even if it means sticking with DX9 for 2-3 years. Even with "just" DX9, RFactor 2 is still easily the best sim for me (and many others) when I stop thinking, analyzing, and arguing about all this crap and just shut-up and play/drive/race the bloody thing, lol. So taking their time and going straight from DX9 to DX12 PROPERLY is just fine in my books :)

6. stonec

stonec Registered

Whilst GP3 and GP2 in particular were very hardware demanding (so hardware demanding that GP2 VGA mode would not run in 1996 unless you had a supercomputer :)), they were not very cutting edge in terms of graphic tech. There was this same nice, but a bit dated look as with rF2. Geoff Crammond basically coded these games himself and obviously preferred to put most of his focus on physics.

In many ways ISI is the Crammond of 2014, still having apparently only a single dev working on graphics, who most of time seems busy with other work. Crammond swallowed his pride for Grand Prix 4 and outsourced graphic development to other people; result was a big improvement in visuals. Maybe one day ISI will do same and hire some new guys working on graphic tech. Before that happens I think it's daydreaming to speak about some massive DX12 transition.

7. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

It's not just because the game had some nice depth that it explains the performance. The GP games just seemed inefficiently done in the graphical aspect. It is not a either this or that argument, you can have both.