Dumb Question inbound re DX11!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Stuart Jones, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Stuart Jones

Stuart Jones Registered

Right, im not technically knowledgeable when it comes to this stuff (planes I can do!) so could someone please try to answer the below for me. Trying out rfactor as an iracing alternative at the moment

1 - I downloaded via steam yesterday. How do i know whether I have dx11 or dx9??
    2 - With a slightly dated PC, will this make a difference to me?
    3 - If the above is yes, can I opt to say on DX9 (if that would be beneficial)?
    4 - As someone who just wants to race, have ok graphics and a good frame rate, do I need to care?!

Thanks in advance - its my biggest bugbear with PC gaming is that unless your well versed on PC's, your pretty much shooting blind!

2. Emery

Emery Registered

Look in your Steam library page... it will currently say rFactor 2 [v1108-dx11-open-beta] when you have DX11 version installed.

To switch between DX11 and DX9:
    1) highlight rFactor 2, right-click and then pick "properties" at the bottom.
    upload_2017-8-7_14-42-15.png

2) Click on the BETAS tab in the dialog box and select which version of rF2 to install. Recommend either the one at the bottom or the one at the top.
    upload_2017-8-7_14-45-28.png

3. Emery

Emery Registered

> 2 - With a slightly dated PC, will this make a difference to me?
    Maybe. Try it out if you want, though if you're getting borderline fps at the graphic settings of your choice, then there's little reason to use DX11.

> 3 - If the above is yes, can I opt to say on DX9 (if that would be beneficial)?
    For now you can. DX11 will become production and DX9 will still be available. It's possible that DX9 will eventually be phased out.

> 4 - As someone who just wants to race, have ok graphics and a good frame rate, do I need to care?!
    Not at this time, though it never hurts to consider your update possibilities.

bwana likes this.
  4. bwana

bwana Registered

Good work Emery

5. Stuart Jones

Stuart Jones Registered

Emery, thank you so much for that. It has literally answered everything perfectly!
    I think ill give it atry and see how it goes, thanks again for your help

GrimDad likes this.
  6. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

There's never a silly question when it's a sensible topic