Dual Clutch Setup

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Ciaoarturo, Dec 18, 2020.

1. Ciaoarturo

Ciaoarturo Registered

Is there any way to set up a wheel with dual paddle clutches (Ascher F64) for cars that IRL have that set up? Can’t find any posts or articles about it for RF2.

2. lagg

lagg Registered

Mi wheel has paddles for clutche and i use it in rF2 without problems

3. Ciaoarturo

Ciaoarturo Registered

How did you assign two paddles to the clutch control?

4. lagg

lagg Registered

You have to assing the paddles to the clutch in Settings-Controls.
    IIRC you have to press both paddles to force the recognition, because the clutch is an axis ant you need to press both paddles to reach the 100% of the axis of the clutch.

5. John R Denman

John R Denman Registered

I find it easier to lift on upshifts and blip on downshifts, but that isn't for everyone.

6. atomed

atomed Member

I have one setting profile for paddle clutch and another one for the pedal clutch, just assign the control as Iagg said and you're fine to go.

7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

This is a dual-clutch system like F1 had for a few years, used at launch. So you release one paddle and the clutch is still only partially engaged, then you can start releasing the second paddle. It's not related to gear changes.

Ciaoarturo likes this.
  8. John R Denman

John R Denman Registered

Got it. Thanks for the clarification.

9. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

I’ve had my F64 for a week - there’s nothing special required to use the F1 paddles. The Ascher Racing SW/firmware defaults to the dual-paddle clutch so when you go into Assign controls in rf2, you just need to pull one paddle (doesn’t matter which) as they’re both on the same axis (note - you can, obviously, change the paddles to dual-axis - e.g. handbrake and throttle - in the AR software).

The only thing I’d say is be careful what you assign to the F64 funky-switches! You need to press both at once to activate the bite point mode and then turn the funky switch dials to make the adjustment... No big deal as you’ll not set the bite every session, but my FSs are set to change engine-mix and pit stop settings and these are activated while fiddling with the bite

10. Ciaoarturo

Ciaoarturo Registered

thanks! I wasn’t sure if the F64 came with software. Mine arrives Monday so I wanted to be prepared. Appreciate the hints!

11. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

It does have a dedicated app to set it up and do basic calibration, assign ‘clutch’ paddle preferences etc. - you download it from the F64 product page on their website. If you’ve not seen the Sim Racing Garage YouTube review of the F64, Barry does show you around the software at one point.

I’m still getting used to the bite-point launches - results and approach seem to vary considerably depending on the vehicle. The GT3s, for example, are a complete nightmare at the best of times given that they’re not designed for standing-starts. It seems to me that the Ascher advice to tweak the bite point so that the car just starts to inch forward in gear with the slave paddle fully in is conservative - I think my GT3 launches are best if I set the bite point to about half way between inching and stalling.

By contrast, the excellent historical Porsche 917K mod works well with ‘inching’ as it has so little grip and a nice, progressive clutch designed with standing starts in mind.

Enjoy(!). (Oh, and consider a dab of Loctite on the grub screws for the four main encoder knobs if you remove them to apply stickers. You do get one spare grub screw in the box, but I managed to lose one through vibration. 2mm hex key (I think) - curiously omitted from the bag of goodies given that it’s not a common workshop size as such...

12. Ciaoarturo

Ciaoarturo Registered

Sweet. Thanks. I had emailed Martin but given he just put the F64s up in stock I assume he’s super busy. Hoping it arrives tomorrow!