DRS zones adjustment

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by TheLeadWolf, Aug 26, 2016.

1. TheLeadWolf

TheLeadWolf Registered

Hi,
    One of my favorite tracks has DRS zones messed up (DRS is always available). I am not deeply familiar with rF2 modding (beyond building update to adjust vehicle classes), but I hope this is not horrendously difficult? Can someone share steps involved? Cheers!

2. Vance Le Garde

Vance Le Garde Registered

Which track can you provide a link ?

It's pretty easy to remove DRS from the track or the cars but you have to unpack and repackaged either of them to do it ;)

3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Set it up in the GDB file. Here are the Sao Paulo entries:

RearFlapWetThreshold=0.5

RearFlapZone // zones for using rear flaps in race sessions
    {
    MinimumCrossings=3 // how many times you must cross the detection under green before it is allowed
    TimeThreshold=1.0 // seconds behind another vehicle for it to be allowed
    DetectionLapDist=3407.6 // distance around track where time threshold is detected
    ActivationLapDist=3887.4 // beginning of zone where it can be used (if under time threshold is detected)
    DeactivationLapDist=254.8 // end of zone (yes, the zone can be wrapped around s/f, or not)
    }

RearFlapZone // zones for using rear flaps in race sessions
    {
    MinimumCrossings=3 // how many times you must cross the detection under green before it is allowed
    TimeThreshold=1.0 // seconds behind another vehicle for it to be allowed
    DetectionLapDist=410.0 // distance around track where time threshold is detected
    ActivationLapDist=756.7 // beginning of zone where it can be used (if under time threshold is detected)
    DeactivationLapDist=1152.1 // end of zone (yes, the zone can be wrapped around s/f, or not)
    }

(this is for two zones, each with their own detection point)

atomed likes this.
  4. TheLeadWolf

TheLeadWolf Registered

Thanks guys, this will get me started. Unpack/repack using MAS2.exe? Again, not a modding guru here, but I remember I couldn't change vehicle mod, just build an update .rfcmp that overrides the original. If you could share the steps to unpack/repack, would be grateful.

The track is Zandvoort - I do not remember where I got it - track itself is ok, but DRS is ..... Fun to look at DTM cars opening DRS at the slightest of opportunities.

In any case - thanks I now know where to start.

5. TheLeadWolf

TheLeadWolf Registered

I was able to modify track by building my own .rfcmp (update .rfcmp didn't work for some reason). However, for some reason DRS is still available after braking. Normally, it should become unavailable.

My values below are so that DRS availability is detected right before finish line, activated in 100 meters and if not used, available for the most of the lap ( DeactivationLapDist=3900.0). It seems that detection works fine, but even if used DRS and applied brakes, it is still available - what I am doing wrong?

Length = 4.252 km / 2.642 miles

------------------

RearFlapWetThreshold=0.5
    RearFlapZoneSessions=31

RearFlapZone
    {
    MinimumCrossings=0
    TimeThreshold=1.0
    DetectionLapDist=4000.0
    ActivationLapDist=4200.0
    DeactivationLapDist=3900.0
    }

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

If I understand correctly, I think you're assuming that DRS is a 'one time only' thing. By having your zone cover nearly the entire track, you're making DRS available to use nearly everywhere, and as many times as desired. Usually (in F1 at least) each activation zone is maybe half a straight only.

7. TheLeadWolf

TheLeadWolf Registered

Ah, I see! So it is not one-time thing in rF2, right? I am coming from R3E, where it gets cancelled as soon as you hit the brake, and then you can't re-activate it. Since in most tracks DRS zone is short, I got confused and assumed it works the same in rF2.

Ok, now I need to figure out how to build my components from command line, because UI is torture to use :) Thanks for clarification!

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Just be aware there may be settings I'm not familiar with, so I wouldn't take what I say as gospel. The short zones is the only way I've personally used it, so if either the track or the vehicle (HDV) can specify one-time-use-only I don't know about it.

9. TheLeadWolf

TheLeadWolf Registered

Got it working nicely and learned about updating mods from command line and quickly. Thanks for your help Lazza.

10. Vance Le Garde

Vance Le Garde Registered

You can re activate DRS as long as the zone is not finished so it can go around a corner and part of the way down the next straight and you can re open the flap as soon as you wish off the corner but it will close the flap as you hit the brake but you can def re use DRS straight away after you are back on the throttle off the corner as long as the zone wraps around the corner and isn't finished but in F1 they end the zone just before the braking zone ;) generally

This is from a track I edited to use DRS in multiple places to improve lap times and if your willing to risk it you can drop the down force in a section to try to make up time in some of the faster bends.

RearFlapWetThreshold=0.5
    RearFlapZoneSessions=31
    RearFlapZone // Zone 1
    {
    MinimumCrossings=2
    TimeThreshold=2.0
    DetectionLapDist=300.0
    ActivationLapDist=600.0
    DeactivationLapDist=2100.0
    }
    RearFlapZone // Zone 2
    {
    MinimumCrossings=2
    TimeThreshold=2.0
    DetectionLapDist=2600.0
    ActivationLapDist=2700.0
    DeactivationLapDist=3300.0
    }
    RearFlapZone // Zone 3
    {
    MinimumCrossings=2
    TimeThreshold=2.0
    DetectionLapDist=3500.0
    ActivationLapDist=3600.0
    DeactivationLapDist=4900.0
    }
    RearFlapZone // Zone 4
    {
    MinimumCrossings=2
    TimeThreshold=2.0
    DetectionLapDist=5200.0
    ActivationLapDist=5500.0
    DeactivationLapDist=6500.0
    }

Sounds like you have worked it out but there can be multiple zones on any track over a lap ;)

atomed likes this.
  11. TheLeadWolf

TheLeadWolf Registered

Thanks! I fixed DRS, but hit another blocker - once AI pits, it will pit every lap again and again. I guess AIW is messed up and AI crashes in pits. I'll have to let go of this track for now, there are other nice tracks to enjoy.

12. ceecee

ceecee Registered

I have a version of Spa where the DRS is on around the track so has to be adjusted. (do not remember the last time I had to do this).
    If I remember, one has to run on the track in Dev Mode to find the entry and exit points for the DRS zones in order to get the data to adjust this.
    Does anyone else know of an alternative method ?
    Also, same track, if one selects Formation lap, the cars reload to Practice.
    If one selects Standing Start, it is fine.
    Anyone come across this problem before ?
    And finally, anyone know of a recent Spa with working DRS for F1 (and the cars not crashing on pit entry) ?
    This would save a lot of hassle.

13. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@ceecee Running around in devmode with the current lap distance shown (Ctrl-H I think) is the easiest way to get the DRS zone detection and activation points. It's all lap distance, nothing relating directly to 3d coordinates, so that's the best way.

ceecee likes this.
  14. ceecee

ceecee Registered

Thanks for the confirmation @Lazza !
    I found a lazy way and copied the DRS data from a working track.
    Seems to work well now, and if F1 add a third DRS zone for the Belgium GP this year, I will use your method.
    Just have to find a reason why the track reloads to Practice when Formation Lap is selected. (does not happen with Standing Start)

15. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Actually if I shamelessly plug (no pun intended) my own DAMPlugin, you can assign the "Place Marker" control and press that when you get to the spot you want to have the DRS zone points, then check Lap Distance where the markers are in the telemetry and get the figures from there :D

But it's almost easier to just use devmode ;)

ceecee likes this.
  16. ceecee

ceecee Registered

As far as I am concerned, you can very well "shamelessly" plug your excellent DAMPlugin :D
    We have been using it for years to get Motec data but I will now look into your tip as well !
    Thanks again !

17. rafalgt

rafalgt Registered

Can I set DRS zones for qualifying sessions differently and for race sessions differently for the same track?

18. Bill Worrel

Bill Worrel Registered

I know this is almost three years old, but since no one answered and it may help someone in the future.

I think this could be accomplished by running two layouts of the same track - qualifying layout and race layout with different rearflapzone settings in the gdb file in the 2 layouts. And then you'd have to record your qualifying standings and restart to go to race and set the grid for the race from the qualifying standings recorded earlier.