Does rfactor 2 support 7.1 surround sound?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DrR1pper, Dec 31, 2013.

1. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

I always put the Bass Boost on my FiiO E10 on for gaming. The NVX's are very neutral but can take a boost beautifully. Works especially good with the Vettes.

An alternate method Gearjammer that my friend zild does while sim-racing is he has his Game/windows sounds go to a Behringer Dac to some M-Audio AV40 monitors and he sets Ventrilo to be sent to his FiiO dac / headphone amp and uses a pair of very open Grado SR60i's so he can hear us talking with a separate volume on his headphones and the speakers are a separate volume for the game. Much like a headset in a helment like real race drivers so sounds in-game are fixed for better positional info.

2. F1Fan07

F1Fan07 Member

Yeah, 5.1 or 7.1 in a headset is a gimmick. I ended up with one of these headsets though because it had all the other features I wanted (wireless, and hotkeys) but I rarely ever take it out of Stereo mode. Ironically, I use "Surround" only when listening to YouTube videos (there's a bug in soem versions fo Flash where the channels aren't decoded correctly).

I have an old Sony 5.1 speaker set from my first budget home theatre waiting for installation around my rig :D

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2013
  3. Flatspotter

Flatspotter Registered

I have Energy Take Classic 5.1 Home Theater speakers driven by a Denon 5.1 receiver. Muscle cars sound especially awesome!

4. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Thank you all for your input. After careful consideration and a lot more research (thanks to your replies) i've decided to purchase another set of Marley Soul Rebel headphones. I don't know if any of your guys have tried them but i received the Marley as a christmas gift last year and they were a definite step up from my Sennheiser PX 100-II (which i already absolutely loved...the sounds in games were fantastic, however prior to the Sennheisers i was using crappy £10 headsets).

The Marley's are purposely designed and marketed music headphones so (with my limited experience and knowledge in this field) i think they are a safe bet when looking for good quality audio reproducing headphones. Perhaps someone can weigh in on this?

I will stay with my x-fi extreme audio card and try the razer (virtual) surround software (as it has a ton of good reviews).

My only concern is that having read up on review of the marley, some have commented that the treble is a weak which could be the issue for me as i do have bilateral hearing loss in the upper speech range frequencies (which tbh thinking about would actually mean the mid-range frequencies?) I have not tested my upper limit higher frequency range as they don't offer it at the hearing test centers. My old flatmate had a camera flash attachment for his slr that would emit a very high frequency whine after each discharge which i simply could not hear unless it was pretty close to my ears and he could still hear it from 10m away (yeah my hearing is pretty bad). I do have a hearing aid but am reluctant to wear it despite when i do it does make it easier to catch what people are saying, especially in noisy environments.

Any, again let me know what you think as i can cancel my order if someone suggests a better alternative.

Cheers and Happy New Year! :D

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2014
  5. Minibull

Minibull Member

Like choosing a suitable set of headphones, its a bit personal, but I would not bother with supra-aural headphones. I find them to be uncomfortable and also hard to dampen any external noise with, which makes them sound crap to me.

And maybe its judging a book by its cover, but after a quick look at some pics, I would put those in the same catergory as the dre beats stuff. Overpriced, cheap quality and super bass heavy.
    I would seriously reccomend finding something in the brands that ZeosPantera mentiones above. Even with Shure, there is a set "below" the model I posted, which may be in your price range, but are still basically as good. All those brands have something available that would suit, I'm sure.

6. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

listen to this man, folks

7. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

Rule of thumb is stay away from Celebrity endorsed headphones. Even the Marleys.. But at least they look cool.

8. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

9. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

This is an interesting conversation from an audiophile point of view, but this is for sim racing. We are completely ignoring the quality of the mic. I assume most sim racers will be going online and using Teamspeak. So the suggestions of these high end headsets is meaningless unless you only want to listen to the sim.

I had an old set of Plantronics cheap-o headphones I kept around because of the mic alone it was so good. I'm not sure how good the mic on these G430's is because other people so far have only said "good" and not much more! But the past week I have hardly used TS so it's a very small sample size of 2 people.

Also, more important than audio quality is comfort. When I am behind the wheel for 3 hours I could care less about how good the highs are or how accurate the lows are- I just want them to feel good on my head. I like that the G430's have a pad on the very top of them that helps a lot for comfort. The cans themselves are big and cloth so my ears don't get sweaty.

10. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

headset is a bonus but if the audio quality is better on a headphone i would prefer that.

11. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

12. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

I FOUND A PAIR! WooHooo...

http://www.lindy.co.uk/audio-video-c2/headphones-c188/hf-100-premium-hi-fi-headphones-p2144

These are the same as the NVX's...going to cancel the Gemini and get these instead.

Out of interest, the gemini was on your list and even though it was cheaper, have your managed to try them to compare against the NVX's? The specs are a little different between the two and i was wondering for better or worse, or if that is even the correct way to make such a judgement?

Gemini HSR-1000:

Transducer Principle: Dynamic
    Driver Diameter: Φ53mm
    Impedance: 60Ω
    Sensitivity: 101+/-3dB

NVX XPT100:

Frequency Response: 10-26,000 Hz | Sensitivity: 100 dB
    Nominal Impedance: 64 Ohms | Cord Length: 1.2 m & 3 m
    Acoustic Principle: Closed | THD: <0.2% at 1khz
    Magnet Material: Neodymium | Weight/Mass: 10.2647 oz (291g)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2014
  13. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

How long do you usually race? Those earphone covers look like they will get sweaty. There's also no mic (but I assume you don't use any sort of voice chat).

14. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Quite long stints Guy.

I'm so overwhelmed by choice and trying to get clear consistent reviews of each headphones.

Anyone care to weigh in on Sennheiser HD 518 and Shure SRH550DJ? I want the best overall headphones, good bass, low, mid and highs of them all. :(

I should probably have also mentioned that i will use these straight into my sound card or speakers (if that makes a difference?...impedance?)

15. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

I use Sennheiser pc350 and I love them. Quality is great. Any muff style headphones will be warm by the way.

16. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Funny how this ***t goes. Start out with the intention of not spending a lot of money (relative to my wallet at least) but wanting the best overall package and almost always spending a s*** more than i'd like.

Cancelled the Lindy's and now going with the open over-ear Sennheiser HD 518's. I know i've changed my mind a lot but that's it....putting away laptop, going to bed and not waking up until the parcel is on it's way so it can't be cancelled. lol

Thanks again all.

17. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Sorry, I lied, bought Sennheiser gd 558 instead. All reviews are consistently excellent and the decibel-frequency graph shows me why. Can't wait till they arrive on Friday. :D

18. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Hello again, trying to find a good sound card to go with my expensive headsets now.

Have been looking at the Creative Sound Blaster Z (only costs £50 which is great....reviews seem to say it's good too). Then it dawned on my that the headphone jack has its own impedance and i was wondering if it's a good match for my new headphones please? Do you generally want the sound card output impendence to be lower or higher than that out the headphones?

The Sound blaster Z has the following specs:

Specifications

Output Level:

Front Channel Out: 2Vrms
    Headphone (33 ohms): 1.3Vrms
    Headphone (600 ohms): 2Vrms

Maximum DAC Resolution:

Front Channel Out : 24-bit, 192kHz
    Headphone (33 ohms): 24-bit, 96kHz
    Headphone (600 ohms): 24-bit, 96kHz
    SNR (20kHz Low-pass filter, A-Wgt), @ 24-bit, 96kHz
    Front Channel Out : 116dB
    Headphone (33 ohms): >105dB
    Headphone (600 ohms): >105dB

Frequency Response @ 96kHz
    Front Channel Out : 10Hz to 45kHz
    Rear Channel Out : 15Hz to 45kHz
    Center Out : 10Hz to 45kHz
    Headphone (33 ohms): 10Hz to 45kHz

Frequency Response @ 192kHz(Stereo only)
    Front Channel Out : 10Hz to 88kHz

and these are the specs of the Sennheiser HD 558's:

Impedance 50 Ω
    Frequency response 15 - 28000 Hz
    Sound pressure level (SPL) 112 dB (1 kHz/1 Vrms)
    THD, total harmonic distortion < 0.2 % (1 kHz/100 dB SPL)
    Ear coupling Circumaural
    Cable length 3 m OFC single -sided, exchangeable
    Transducer principle Dynamic, open
    Weight 260 g

19. Minibull

Minibull Member

The card you've currently got should be fine, and it should be able to do Creative CMSS-3D (simulated surround).
    Do not worry about whether you will be able to "drive" those headphones, you will be fine. It's only when you start getting into the headphones designed with big impedance that you have to worry. Something like Beyerdynamic stuff, where you can specify a headset with 250 ohm impedance, etc all the way down to 32 ohm.

20. Nazirull Safry Paijo

Nazirull Safry Paijo Registered

Ive tried many headphones over the years. Nothing beats live speakers. I buy headphones just for privacy now.