Does good sound setup matter much?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by stobe84, Apr 11, 2012.

1. stobe84

stobe84 Registered

How much does 5.1 effect immersion? Is there a cheap way to get something out of this sim soundwise?
    I was thinking of buying headset for communicating also, but it should be not too expensive, capable of 5.1 or some sort of virtual surround sound. Something under 100$. Could someone recommend a headset for me?

2. MKD

MKD Registered

I use an ARCTIC p531 It is less than 75 US.. It has 5.1 surround, 6 speakers I believe, and even force feedback. Microphone works great, and it is USB.. But there are MANY sets that are good. I just wanted 5.1 surround.. And it does sound incredible.. You can hear all AROUND you.. lol.. I think it adds greatly to the SIM..

Best advice.. figure out waht you want for specs, and read reviews.. In my case most reviewers said they were very heavy.. It is true, but than again so is a racing helmet, so It's a small issue for me..

3. fastfezzer

fastfezzer Registered

5.1 isn't working at the moment. Hopefully ISI implement it soon.

4. MKD

MKD Registered

hmmm seems to work on my surround sound.. ? I get sound from all my speakers in 5.1..

5. stobe84

stobe84 Registered

At least 5.1 can be found in the audio options menu. Can any audiophile confirm that does it work?

6. MarcG

MarcG Registered

it seems 5.1 is working but not to its full extent, I do get sound from all speakers but only notice the rears when I go past objects (walls/pylons etc). I dont hear a noticeable difference when a car passes me so I can only presume its still WIP like the rest of the gam,e!

7. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

8. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

If ur really set on a true 5.1 surround headset I would go with the roccat kaves and an auzentech prelude soundcard what a freakin combo.

Honestly read up on the kaves, I studied and researched this market for a good 3 or 4 months before I bought the kaves, no other 5.1 headphone consistintly got good review after good review.

Only con for some people is they aren't the lightest headphones, but most people don't mind or get used to it

9. Nand Gate

Nand Gate Banned

Yes it does. Sound "guru" here. 3 major points.

1) Good speakers and full frequency coverage is the MOST important thing.
    2) Pro stereo sound is far better than gaming-quality 5.1
    3) Pro sound cards are light years ahead of "gaming" sound cards in output quality

These have stop being produced, but can still be found everywhere new and used. Nothing "gaming" or "home theatre" quality comes close.

http://www.creative.com/emu/products/product.aspx?category=505&pid=19169

...got mine used off eBay for $80.......;)

EDIT: These are just as good, and for some reason are going ridiculously cheap:

http://www.auzentech.com/site/products/infra_quartet.php

I own 2 of these and so do some friends. Get it.....this is easily the best sound quality to price ratio IN THE WORLD. Currently going for $90!!!!!!!!!!!!! Some are sold on the idea of 5.1...if so - then there is no arguing them out of it. But you will not regret it. Ever. Look at the quality of those boards. Nothing Auzentech or Creative currently manufactures can compete.

Finally, if you connect one of those sound cards up to pretty much anything available in this range:

http://www.zzounds.com/cat--Active-Powered-Studio-Monitors--2864

..you cant go wrong. Just make sure you also buy the matching sub, for a serious 2.1 system. The JBL or KRK range are great value - just spend as much as you can. 5.1 is for those who dont understand - you want to spend as much money on good equipment as possible - and who can afford to purchase 6 expensive speakers? Better to buy 3 of the best you can afford.

So, to summarise:
    2X http://www.zzounds.com/item--JBLLSR4328P
    1X http://www.zzounds.com/item--JBLLSR4312SP
    1X http://www.auzentech.com/site/products/infra_quartet.php

...is arguably the best combination possible - in my expert, educated and oh-so-humble opinion. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2012
  10. kosmo1982

kosmo1982 Registered

If its well implemmented then it makes a difference. Right now RF2 5.1 sound doesnt work very well. But the truth is that good stereo is better (im talking about systems for around 2500$+) then good 5.1 system in terms of sound quality. So if you plan on listenning to music also then i would buy good stereo system. So you need to decide whats more important to you: gaming&watching movies or listening to music in good quality.
    Edit: You were talking about cheap solutions. Maybe You can do it like i did. I bought Pionieer 5.1 amplituner for about 200$ (you can buy them cheaper right now). I had 6 old standard stereo speakers in different size. Plugged them into amplituner & into pc sound card and they sound great. Im sure they are better than those cheap pc 5.1 speakers you can buy in electronic markets.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2012
  11. fastfezzer

fastfezzer Registered

I'm getting sound from all speakers yes, but nothing is directional and isn't working as surround was intended.

I want to hear the difference between a car to the left of me or a car to the right of me etc.

I hope that they can nail it.

12. MKD

MKD Registered

I get directional sound.. Car is coming from behind I hear it from behind and on the side it is coming,,
    If I park my car on a corner, I can hear the cars coming form the left going by me, and heading to the right.. I do run an 7.1 surround card, output optical to a 7.1 receiver. If I contact the sound comes from point of contact..ie:rf contact with wall and I hear it from rf speaker .

13. MarcG

MarcG Registered

what are your in game settings?

14. stobe84

stobe84 Registered

"Get it.....this is easily the best sound quality to price ratio IN THE WORLD. Currently going for $90!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
    Damn Nand, you should be marketing for one of these companies, or go to TV shop or something. you sure you're not employee of Creative? Anyways, I was looking for a headset. There are good suggestions and I'll take my time deciding this. Thanks everyone.

15. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Trust me bro, if u want a true 5.1 surround headset go with the roccat kaves, a soundcard like the auzentech prelude would make them sound even better, the auzentech preludes use the same creative x-fi chip used in the creative soundblaster/titanium etc etc cards, only difference is the prelude has better parts inside, they got higher end op-amps and dacs etc. I got the kaves for I think 80 bucks on. Newegg or ncix but I see they go for 120ish more often than not

16. MKD

MKD Registered

32 sounds

I have changed all volume levels to suit system
    7.1 surround

17. MarcG

MarcG Registered

cool thanks, maybe proper directional sound works with 7.1 and not 5.1, anyone else with 7.1 care to confirm this?

18. Nand Gate

Nand Gate Banned

Hey sobe84 - yeah sorry I AM a bit of a geek when it comes to sound. But that is exactly why you should listen to me - gamers don't know anything about sound (sorry but its true). You may be looking for a headset, but a headset still needs to be plugged into something (ie a good sound source).

On the same vein as my thread, the best headsets are the pro-audio ones. Since gaming gear is usually overpriced junk, the jump in price isn't that big:

Sennheiser HMD 280 PRO Stereo Headset ($200)
    http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheise...dphones-headsets_professional-headsets_004976

Sennheiser PC 333D 7.1 Headset ($160+)
    http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/home_en.nsf/root/private_headsets_pc_pro-gaming_504126

Alternatively, do what I do. I get a decent but cheap pair of stereo headphones, and a decent but cheap condenser microphone. The sound will be MUCH better (for you AND whoever is listening to you):

MXL DRK Mic Kit ($85)
    http://www.mxlmics.com/microphones/Kits/DRK/

PLUS...

Sennheiser HD 215 Headphones ($95)
    http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/home_en.nsf/root/private_headphones_dj-headphones-hd-215

19. fastfezzer

fastfezzer Registered

I would also like to know this. I have tried loads of settings but still no luck and it's only rF2 I cannot get working.

Are you using software or windows settings?

20. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

If you wanna go with higher end hifi phones don't go with the above mentioned, I can name 100 different denons, audio technicas, sennheisers, grados etc etc etc in that price range that are way better especially for games and movies that are way better than those mentioned.

Or if you just want to keep it simple and get some 5.1 gaming headsets go with the kaves from roccat, I and most reviews I've read in my months of research like them better than turtle beach's line, the trittons, the logitech gxx, way better than the plantronics gamer series, I can keep going.

The kaves are also true 5.1 with multiple drivers/speakers per ear for front, rear, centre and sub unlike so many other so called “surround“ headsets which use a fake virtualized 3d surround emulation through one speaker per ear similiar to dolby headphone and creatives cmss-3d

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2012