Documentation?

Discussion in 'Plugins' started by Madatek, May 23, 2023.

1. Madatek

Madatek Registered

Hello!

So, my dayjob is web programming in C#, but I wanted to experiment in messing around with plugins. I could find the example plugin, but I couldn't find documentation anywhere... does one exist?

Thanks!

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

The plugin is the documentation :D

Just ask questions, we'll help with explanations from the basic concepts to (most of) the tricky aspects.

Sometimes it can be useful to check that what you're aiming to do is actually possible/available, if of course you're willing to reveal it. Either way.

Madatek likes this.
  3. Madatek

Madatek Registered

Ok, thanks a lot! What I'd like to do once I'm done with experimenting, would be something that allows the AI to automatically change their setups during practice so to be more competitive.

Another (maybe simpler :D ) thing I'd like to do would be a parc ferme system, and something that allows to pass the field and rejoin it from the back to regain laps if under safety car.

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Ok, I'm no authority but I feel I can pretty confidently say:
    • Setting AI setups isn't possible (you can give AI custom setups with correctly named files in the right folders, but I don't know how often they get read (could be each session, or only on track load; almost certainly not for each outing). The benefits of doing so extends primarily to wings and gearing, finer setup details get lost with their simpler physics)
    • Parc ferme in terms of locking setup options I don't think is possible, and you can't set vehicle state in any way (tyre wear/condition, engine or brake wear, damage, etc)
    • I did an F1-style "lapped cars may overtake" plugin some years ago for league use. I got most of the way there with the logic side, but the game got quite confused at times with field order and you can't vet any penalties it's giving. You can set what each driver sees (overall message, and who to follow) but I was having to detect and reverse a multitude of penalties upon race resumption, which looked pretty messy for drivers. So somewhat possible, but not at all neat. It's possible more recent game changes will help a bit here, but it's not designed to cede control to a plugin (unfortunately).