Do cockpits really rule the roost?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Krayzi, Mar 31, 2014.

?

What's your preferred racing driving view?

1. Cockpit

155 vote(s)
    93.4%
  2. Roof cam

6 vote(s)
    3.6%
  3. Bumper cam

4 vote(s)
    2.4%
  4. Chase

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Other

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  1. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

^Agreed with no realistic but in PRC Steve's case, having only now just seen his pictures, his monitor is very very small and if i were him i would use a nose came or something without the virtual cockpit in view. In his sort of case, it would be even more unrealistic having to drive in the cockpit view on his tiny display because everything is miniaturized even further with the cockpit view.

2. Hectari

Hectari Registered

3. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

lol

4. Krayzi

Krayzi Registered

Lot of great points, here, and I think the poll results sorta sum it up. Another thing, which I may be imagining but I don't think so, is the roll and pitch seem to be more noticeable in cockpit view. Not sure why that would be, but seems I'll be sticking with cockpit!

5. nudger1964

nudger1964 Registered

I'm far from a hard core sim racer, but I just dont agree with this notion that anything other than cockpit view detracts from realism and therefore bad or cheating. I guess this partly depends if you use multi screen or not. Seeing as I dont, I find bonnet cam is the best view for me. I just dont accept than if using a single screen, that the cocpit view reflects the actual view one would have of an approaching turn (in terms of mentally registering the info you need to make the turn) -it just dosnt

6. Flaux

Flaux Registered

Offline: Cockpit
    Online: Cockpit/Hood
    League: Hood if not forced

7. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

I feel your pain, single screen just sucks major major ass... However... cockpit view it is :)

Found this image :)
    [​IMG]

And some people feel okay if the drivers eyes where positioned somewhere along the green line close to the bumper?
    That is just plain silly to me, especially when probably some are 'all about realism', only when it suits them probably :p

it seems to be an idea people formed in their heads and no matter what is said or how it is used in real world applications,
    somehow that doesn't change anything. It could also be a thing that people have been using bumper or hood cam to get
    rid of the cockpit for so long, going for the proper solution suddenly feels right! Of course, the likes of BasePerformance have
    absolutely no idea what they're doing and it's only their job to set up their rigs for driver training as best as possible ;)

It does surprise me a bit though, that in the PLR file, there is no way to completely disable cockpit graphics! The most
    you can do is only show the front wheels, but that only applies in openwheelers to be honest. That would be a nice option to
    fit in the current system, you can have cockpit, suspension and wheels only, wheels only. If a 'nothing at all' option could be
    added to would really be nice for the full cockpit users. How silly is it if you spend all that time and money on a proper cockpit
    and have to drive with a wrong view!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2014
  8. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

Single screen user here and I'm using cockpit view with FOV 40 (no virtual steering wheel or arms atm for better reactions).

I want my view to be as close as possible to the real deal. However, I think ISI karts are more immersive with higher FOV.

I don't believe I'm in disadvantage compared to triple screen user in terms of speed. But it's easier to avoid contacts with others if you have 3 screens. But I'm doing just fine with single screen also in this area.

I think catching slides are harder with other views than cockpit. I don't mind people using bonnet view but roof view sounds kinda weird. If you are a clean driver who respect others then I see no reason why you couldn't participate online also with other views than cockpit.

9. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Your peripheral vision when using triple screens is receiving a lot more input and thus creating a much better sense of speed. This really aids in the
    immersion department and it also makes it better to feel the speed of the car as you brake and enter corners. It might in fact shave a couple of tenths
    off a lap, it wouldn't surprise me :)

10. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Sorry wzegue, I think I read your post wrong and we agree on the same thing. My bad

11. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Why would "no virtual steering wheel or arms atm for better reactions" Tig?

12. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

It was an advice given in some thread. I guess it had something to do with input lag... or then it just disrupts your concentrations a little making your reactions slower (if you are watching the wheel you see the feedback later than you recieve it from ffb). Probably not a big difference but still.

13. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Hmm...interesting but if your looking at your wheel then for sure your not concentrating on the road, lol, so you better turn it off. :p

I leave it on because it feels wired fmto me if it's not in my peripheral view in the virtual cockpit.

14. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

sorted! :)

15. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Yes i misread what you wrote and just corrected my post a moment ago. We actually agree on the same thing. My bad. :S

16. smithaz

smithaz Registered

I think this goes to show that cockpit view isn't realistic at all at default settings, it is akin to driving while looking the wrong way through a pair of binoculars.
    Ideally the view should be mounted behind the steering wheel since that's where your monitor is. The problem is it's like driving trough a letterbox if you use a realistic FOV. So the only viable solution is triple screens.

17. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

I disagree, that is where the driver is going to sit, that is where camera should be placed (and are placed!), and also the reason why your screen
    should be close to your wheel. As you hint at as well, fov needs to be correct unless you indeed want to experience tunnel vision, I think that is a valid point.
    However I think placing the camera where your monitor is, is quite the opposite of what you should want, also this is something I've never seen done, for a reason.

In terms of camera placement, do you honestly think all the racing teams and pro's simply have it wrong?

Indeed, triple screens at least, sadly for some it's simply not an option :(

18. UnitedRacingDesign

UnitedRacingDesign Registered

Ive used Tcam in past for open wheelers like F1 in leagues but that was like 10 years ago allmost.
    Cockpit for now only and i drive only closed cars. Alot of fun, especially with LMP cars where ive run alot of races offline, especially in gtr2 with audi r18 at lemans, full grid 2011 24h race shortened to 2-3 hours.

19. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

I found a compromise by reading through this thread. If I set FOV to 40 and tweak seat position I can be in cockpit and almost fill my screen with track, I am going to practice this weekends league race in this view and see how my times compare to the times already set in nose view. The best cockpit view I ever achieved was with the ISI Megane, I could almost remove cockpit altogether. The URD Corvette isn't too bad.

View attachment 12196

20. bwana

bwana Registered

I run a similar view Steve, having a hyperstimulator cockpit( F1 style position) and a single screen set 12" behind my wheel I prefer to adjust seating so that im just viewing the gear change light in the vette, I never run with arms and only time a visible wheel(fixed) is in view is for open modern wheelers to use the DRS and rev lights, I set my in game seat height so that line of sight matches my own wheel height.