DLC Cars Package Method

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by redapg, Feb 18, 2022.

1. redapg

redapg Registered

Due to new Findings (thanks @FuNK! for testing) i have to say that i was wrong.
    I should have tested it more concentrated, before i opened this Thread.
    But sometimes i'm simply too lazy, to test and test and test.....

Howsoever.
    Also for the DLC Cars can be made Update rfcmp, that only contain the edited Upgrades.ini File and that are also only a few Kb small then.

@Marcel Offermans , @Paul Jeffrey , @Alex Sawczuk ... S397.
    I maybe missed an important Information about why it is how it currently is, but i want to suggest, to package DLC Car Components into 1 Version only.

The Reason is a very simple one.
    With the Current Method, where the Component is splitted into 2 Versions, where one is the encrypted Part and the other the "editable" Part, you have to repackage the whole editable Part, even if you only did make some small Changes in the Upgrades.ini.
    So the customized Update rfcmp is an unnecessary big File.
    If it would be packaged into one Version, everything would be the same as it is now, but you would have the Possibility, to create an Update rfcmp which has a Size of a few KB only.
    Especially for Leagues, that package/include Upgrade.ini Updates into the Server Mod, it would be much better, to have a Server rfmod with a Size of some KB, instead of hundreds MB, that the Clients have to download.
    And also for the private use it makes no Sense at all, to have to repackage hundreds of MB, for an Update of a File that has some KB only.
    Could you please think about that?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2022
  2. FuNK!

FuNK! Registered

Sorry am late :D

I was a little confused about all this because I have been creating update packages before that only had a couple of KB in size (the previously mentioned no-DRS update of URD's T5 mod for example). They are that small, simply because the do only include a MAS file that includes just the needed upgrades.ini.

So I did a quick test now to proof myself right: I used the Aston Martin Vantage GT3 as an example as it's a DLC car. And the attached file is the result of this test (just rename from *.txt to *.rfcmp). This upgrade is just 1,8 KB big and does nothing else than providing an upgrade option that affects the graphical offset - I used an extreme value here just to make the upgrade visible by all means (excluding this is just a placebo update).

That's the upgrades.ini:
    [​IMG]
    This is the rfcmp setup:
    [​IMG]
    This is the confirmation that the upgrade took effect:
    [​IMG]
    This is what you see under customize in game:
    [​IMG]
    Well, this is the result in game:
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

redapg and Lazza like this.
  3. redapg

redapg Registered

@FuNK! Hello Sven, thanks for Testing.
    I have installed your Update and in the Showroom, with the "Offroad Height" Option selected, i get this in Game:
    GRAB_004.JPG

So it has no Effect here, while i don't know why it shouldn't work here, if it works for you.
    But independently of that, if nothing has changed in the Games Code, it can not work in that Way.
    As said, IF nothing has changed in the Games Code.
    With the Structure of the DLC Cars, where the even Version Number contains the Physics and the uneven the Graphics Files and the Upgrades.ini, you always had to reference an own Update to the Physics Version, to get the Car working.
    And in that Way, with your Update, that contains only the Upgrades.ini and no Cars, you normally should not have any Car appearing in Game.
    And if you did reference to the Graphics Version, it was not working, because there was no Physics for the Car.
    But i must say that i haven't made deeper Tests in the nearer Past, so maybe it works now.
    I will do an own Test with my "no vertical Halo Bar" for the Formula Pro, to try it out too. ;)

FuNK! likes this.
  4. redapg

redapg Registered

@FuNK! OK, tested and i can confirm that you are right. :)
    Next Time i will make more Tests before i post something like this, even if i'm really tired of all that Testing for rFactor, that i have done in the last 17 Years. :D

FuNK! and davehenrie like this.
  5. Audere est facere

Audere est facere Registered

In the very beginning of my first mods of cars (2018) I always updated from the second (uneven) version number and the cars always showed up in game. I still have old files working this way.

6. redapg

redapg Registered

As i have said, i didn't tested it for a longer While.
    The last Time i did it, i did it because of a Request of a User, that had Problems with updating a no DLC Mod, that did have the same Structure like a DLC that is splitted in 2 Versions.
    And it was impossible to update it in that Way.
    Maybe it was possible with DLC Cars at that Time too already.
    One Problem with such Things is, that there was and is almost never any Information about Changes in the Games Code.
    So everything has to be tested again and again and again..., until you get tired of it.
    In my Case, i test for 17 Years now and i'm REALLY tired of it sometimes.

Gilles Benoit likes this.