Directory Mess in RF2 file structure Yes or No?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Lgel, Jun 16, 2015.

1. Lgel

Lgel Registered

It´s a welcome news that we have now a lot of quality content for RF2.

As a result, I feel that the directory structure of RF2 lacks a hierarchical level in order to keep things tidy.

I would like to have a directory level called mod, and under this level you would find all the files related to this mod (it was half the case in RF1).

I am alone on this one?

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2015
  2. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

It was not the case in rF1, the cars was in GameData/Vehicle, and a mod was a rfm joining the vehicle by filters.

In rF2 it's the same logic (rfcmp = Vehicle, rfmod = mod). Why do you want to change this?
    In rF2, a folder in Installed/Vehicle = a car

3. Lgel

Lgel Registered

Sorry in RF1 you had Vehicles, then Mod, and even classes of vehicles before having the vehicles. In RF2 you have all vehicles listed without any hierarchy.

If you have RF1 and RF2 installed as I have it is clear enough.

I am not satisfied of how files were structured in RF1 neither , because the info of mod was distributed among several directories without a common higer level directory. Some modders in RF2 at least try to put a common prefix to all vehicles of their mod.

Cheers.

4. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

This is no different in rF2. The Category line in the veh files works the exact same way it did in rF1. It's up to the modders to organize the cars in a logical way in the treeview.

Our VEC mod for example organizes the cars like this: VEC\GT-Pro\Porsche\#18 Team Hooter's.

Maybe I am misunderstanding you.

5. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

You can make same in rF2, in the veh the same informations as in rF1 are possible and working well.

Ours cars have prefix and filters that allow to select what you want.
    There is no change between the two games, all what was possible in rF1 is same in rF2.

You will see when the Endurance Series will be available, all working well with grouped hierarchical tree as in rF1; like:

Endurance Series
    -> P2
    --> Oreca 03
    ----> Team 1
    ----> Team 2
    --> Gibson
    ----> Team 3
    ----> Team 4
    -> GTE
    --> Aston Martin
    ----> Team 5
    ----> Team 6
    --> Corvette ZR1
    ----> Team 7
    ----> Team 8

6. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

I've been modding this almost identical folder structure since NT2004... I'd personally rather see it stay the same. There have been many changes to the system and I think we have enough on our plate. Aside from that, I think the structure has a proper hierarchy anyway.

7. Lgel

Lgel Registered

View attachment 17054
    Sorry if my explanation was not clear enough.

I adjoin part of the list of mods in RF2 I have installed.
    As you see all the cars are listed, some of them don't have a common directory like for instance the GT3 mod, some are regrouped as F1RFT2013, or ASR mods which is neater (this is modder dependent, not a feature of RF2).

DTM for instance are URD T5 cars I repacked in order to have a common more informative prefix.

Cheers.

8. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

It seems to flow well from my point of view... And you know you can still customize it a bit yourself.

View attachment 17055

9. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Well yeah in DevMode it's just like rF1. I see what he is saying now about folder structure. But really why does it matter? In the game it's all listed nicely.

Seriously Lgel, what are you instersed in? An easier way to manage components? For example, are you looking for a TreeView that looks just like the game so you know exactly what cars belong to a component. I made a new tool for building vmods that lists all the content just as it's listed in the game. I could probably addapt this tool a little to do some mod management.

If you're simply OCD about filesystems then you are probably out of luck. You would need to repack the components with new component names that have prefixes but that would cause the sig to change which would break them online.

10. Lgel

Lgel Registered

It is a call for everyone to see if things could be done better, not a riot, nor a destructive comment against any one, even less modders who devote their hours to bring us hours of mainly free entertainment.

I was asking if directories were not a mess in some cases, I just can't imagine how the installed directory of RF2 would look if it had all the mods I have installed in RF1.

May be I should use now in RF2 an external mod manager to solve this problem (wealth of worthy content).

When I work with a vehicle I prefer not to scroll around many pages of irrelevant info if I can avoid it (may be I am a bit peculiar).

As I was far away from my rig, I didn't yet have a go with your tool (will do as soon as I can, I am a big fan and user of your other tools, thanks again.)

At the risk of being OT does your Vmod creating tool allow to put an * to allow all tracks (may be it is a limitation of RF2)?

Thanks.

11. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

Nothing in the rF2 system is going to stop people from bad modding habits... I'm guilty of many myself.