Developer Q&A 8/13-11/13

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrian, Aug 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. o0thx11380o

o0thx11380o Registered

Is ISI still working on the tire model? Most consumer simulations seem to suffer from low speed traction meaning the car can slide around unrealistically. So I was just wondering if the tire model is in constant development or not.

2. TJones

TJones Registered

These are the answers of the last community Q&A regarding Tyre model:

Q: Can we expect some improvement in the tyre physics? How are the development priorities for tyre physics?
    A: Yes. Medium (currently behind new constraint system, multiplayer collision, and improved driveline).

Q: Are the wet weather physics completed for all tyres in all conditions? If not, when will they be?
    A: No. Code needs aquaplaning, then the tire files would likely need updating.

Q: Is the contact patch still not simulated properly? If not, when will it be?
    A: There are many different levels of simulation. The contact patch is simulated properly, but it could be simulated even better. That is also medium priority.​

I must say, i was really hoping for higher prority of contact patch simulation and tyres at all.
    Still you can change camber or tyre pressure with almost no effect to tyre temperature or wear. Environment or road surface temperature have also no influence on tyre temps, so no cooling of rain tyres possible on the wet side of the track. We get also to high temps over low friction surfaces (example: spinning wheels over grass). Maybe i'm wrong, but i think the cars are to difficult to control on low traction surfaces (rain, heavy rain) and low speeds.

So my "additional" questions are:

• Can you confirm some or all of the above described problems?
    • Do you see a good chance that these problems get solved?
    • Isn't this whole tyrephysic stuff very complicated and time consuming, so we would see no progress for a very long time?

Thank's for your interest. :)

3. KernigWRC

KernigWRC Registered

My questions:

Graphics:
    Will the HDR get optical correct settings to have a "eye-realistic" auto exposure and realistic bloom of bright things and a realistic sun bloom?

Will the lightning and colour settings be adjusted to have realistic lightning conditions in all times of day?

If yes when will it happen? (I am interested in the order of priority, which features will be done first?)

Physics:
    Will rF2 support all wheel drive with 3 adjustable electronic differentials? (like mitsubishi lancer evolution 7+ and subaru impreza wrx sti and WRCs from 2005) [Richard Burns Rally has it]

Will rF2 get WRC tires for gravel snow and asphalt?

Gameplay:
    Will it be possible to drive from a service park to a rally stage, then to the next rally stage and then back to the service park?
    Rally events with many days and 10+ stages?

THANKS! :)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2013
  4. o0thx11380o

o0thx11380o Registered

thanks for this :)

5. William David Marsh

William David Marsh Registered

Will the graphical representation of RealRoad be improved? I just feel the visual aspect of it detracts from the experience. These are some photos I took of racing at Sonoma Raceway, and the rubber on the track is after a full weekend of racing, and you can see it's more subtle than what rF2 portrays:

https://sphotos-a-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/547210_357464901051464_2093080818_n.jpg
    https://sphotos-b-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/999770_357464721051482_1142624453_n.jpg
    https://sphotos-b-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/541781_357465207718100_261262251_n.jpg

6. Bink

Bink Registered

Q1:
    In rF1, trying to enter a main track aiw line of more than ~10k waypoints would crash. Early rF2 had this fixed, but recent builds now crash again while entering long track aiw. Is this a temporary thing, or will it be the rF2 norm?

Q2:
    If you convert an rF1 track's aiw file to rF2 format (by loading rF1 aiw in rF2 dev mode), you get a file that can be further modified in dev mode. When you re-do your fastline using this converted aiw file, the wp_oriantation values for the fast line will be 'upside-down' in comparison to the pit line wp_oriantation format that were generated by the rF1 - rF2 conversion. Would having the pit-line wp_oriantation 180 degrees out of phase with the new fast-line wp_oriantation in this manner cause any rF2 operational problems?

Thanks!

7. Flatspotter

Flatspotter Registered

Pleeeeeeease do this!

For me, the plugin delay is the single most irritating thing about rF2. It's especially so when running rF2 immediately after rF1. Delaying the race start would go a long way towards reducing this irritation.

8. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Re.plug -in delay, yep it puts me off (from starting up rf2) for long periods of time too,
    Who ever decided to have the plug in delay shouldn't be allowed to make any decisions in future

Even in just practice it's totally annoying & a sim killer IMHO

It seems like a very nasty & obvious bug ( although it's been stated it was actually some ones decision !%!#! )

9. o0thx11380o

o0thx11380o Registered

I don't think it is just an arbitrary decision on ISI's part. They aren't stupid. I have a feeling that the delay is because of something like cheating, or the game needing to load other things first and so on. It is annoying but I think ISI would shorten the delay if it was possible.

10. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

10 seconds would be better than 20. That is for sure.

11. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I was just laying on my sofa & suddenly though "hang on did I just write a nasty post in the ISI forums" lol

I think the plug in delay is a sore point with me, I do have a lot of plug in' though

12. speed1

speed1 Banned

Will the tires develope heat on long load under decc, not slip, example braking because of flex ? Flex lateral developes molecular friction as well, while i would like to see some heat building while braking whithout slip the first in a sim, the better if both was possible.

13. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Tyres already generate heat both from flex and from partial slippage. Off the top of my head there are 4 separate statuses for the rubber, ranging from fully static to 'fully' sliding, and apart from the very extreme situations where the entire contact patch is static or sliding you'll have a mix of both, and in-between - which will be the case basically any time you're not travelling in a straight line at constant speed. But the flexing is separate to all the sliding, and generates heat. Obviously more load = more flex = more heat.

14. coops

coops Banned

League essential features: Will these be put to the top of the priority LIST ?

15. speed1

speed1 Banned

Well i ask this because i can't notice any heat increase while braking without sliding. Lateral it is impossible to rate if heat increase is because of flex under load or slip or both.

16. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I think that comes back to it being difficult to really judge tyre heat in the short term :)

The displayed tyre temp (both in the standard rF2 HUD, and with plugins via the plugin interface) tends to move around a lot because it's very close to the surface. The fluctuations make it difficult to judge overall tendencies except with longer tests, and almost impossible to tell what's going on over a second or two. Plus, because those temperatures are very close to the surface, they'll tend to almost exclusively show temperature changes due to friction rather than flexing, which will have more of an effect under the surface.

17. speed1

speed1 Banned

I can notice just heating with no grip.

18. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Might want to bring forward the closure date on this, giving me a few weeks to POST around the time you're currently closing it

Sent from a mobile device using Tapatalk

19. Adrian

Adrian Registered

Done

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

20. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Let me say it a different way.

Sliding heats the tyre surface. Flexing heats the tyre sidewall and carcass.

The temperature you see in the game is the surface temperature.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.