Dev mode too different

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Major_Parts, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Major_Parts

Major_Parts Registered

Why is dev mode so different to the single player engine?

I've spent hours if not days going back and forth between 3dmax and dev mode trying to find the perfect balance of spec lighting and reflections etc, only to discover that when I package everything up and install to single player, everything looks like ****!
    I understand that rF2 is still in development, but surely the 2 modes should be dealing with shaders in pretty much the same way?
    Packaging and installing is not as easy as it should be either, as the 1st time I did it, my vehicle folder ended up something like this..."rFactor2/installed/vehicles/historicopenwheel/1.0/installed/vehicles/mymod.....". I had to cut and paste it to where it should be. The 2nd time it got installed to my external hard drive where I have the "MAS's" & "PACKAGE's" folder!
    If the idea is to use dev mode to fiddle about with things and get them right before making into a final package, it fails big time! It seems I have to make things look crap in dev mode and hope it's not too crap once I package it!
    Then there is this fresnel stuff! I played about with the material properties pop-up within dev mode to find the best settings and see the result realtime. When I set the materials as such in max and go back to test, the settings on some materials are ignored and are back to what they were!
    Are these things just happening to me? Is some of this stuff known to be not working? I feel like I am wasting a lot of time.

2. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

I feel you. I have similar issues with it, together with issue where car that works fine in dev mode but crashes the game in single player. Imagine trying to fix THAT with all the packaging, installing, uninstalling in between. You just can't trust it.

This system is very retarded and has been that from the beginning. But it is not gonna change so there is no point coming up with alternative solutions.