Dedicated server creates no serverkeys.bin

Discussion in 'Hosting Help' started by Deleted member 58016, Feb 21, 2023.

1. I am using SteamCMD and after getting all the updates this evening I noticed there are some tracks and cars been updated ...

As I am using SteamCMD I need to use modmgr as well to install the packages.

Modmgr is NOT showing "keys loaded" so e.g. Circuit dAzur 2019 is not marked as "update-able" - I can see version 1.22 (old one 1.19) but cannot install it with modmgr (version 1.23 is not showing up in modmgr because of missing keys).

I tried to generate new serverkeys.bin but it is not created ... I have started dedicated server with a free car (c6r) and a free track (red bull ring) and loaded the track successfully.

DS is showing version 1132.

But there is not serverkeys.bin created, so how to install new track and car versions using SteamCMD and modmgr?

2. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

Yes, there's a bit of an issue at the moment, for now, you can go to previous-release and use the keys from that, and it'll allow you to update.

3. Jan Cato Larsen

Jan Cato Larsen Registered

Jumping in here as I have the same issue. But in adition I can not load any car on the server. I can create the package files and install it, but as I set the server it will not show any cars, new or old. It will allow me to set the track, but cars are blank.

I have managed to install new tracks and cars, but I get an error when installing it. though it seems to install anyway. However, as no cars can be selected, I can not host anything

4. Coutie

There should be a hot fix for it today.

5. Jan Cato Larsen

Jan Cato Larsen Registered

Ok. Thanks for the info. The validation process of 150GB server install is running for safety......

I will hold off on more server work until hotfix is out

6. Ok ... I have used another workaround, aber maybe, this will help other people ...

Go back to v1131 (or even better use your backup as I did) and run a dedicated server as usual in order to generate a serverkeys.bin, have the serverkeys.bin signed as usual with a default installation going to single player mode.

Now upgrade to v1132 and run modmgr.

It should show "key loaded" now and you should be able to install all the updates (I have used another workaround to install the content but noticed the change in modmgr while installing a rfcmp with it).

Also the dedicated server should now be able to load paid content cars.

Beside the fact using another technique to install the content I have done the following sequence:

- updating to dedicated server 1132
    - installing all needed content with workaround method (unpacking rfcmps and copying the content to installed folder)
    - updating server mod packages
    - installing server mod packages with mas utility
    - installing another rfcmp (yas marina) with modmgr
    - copying serverkeys.bin and unlock keys from backup to userdata
    - starting dedicated server

7. Looking forward for it, but the workaround seems to work as expected :)

8. Thanks for saying this - I was thinking doing it wrong after the update.

9. Boot Sektor

Boot Sektor Registered

Could you please tell me how to go back to v1131 ?
    What is the exact steamcmd.exe full command line ?

Thanks

10. Coutie

You use -beta previous-release. But, it has been fixed now, all you need to do is get the serverunlock.bin from your userdata folder and put it into your servers userdata folder.

11. Boot Sektor

Boot Sektor Registered

I managed to get a backup of my rfactor2 server folder.
    I did an update of rfactor2 server, and now it works !

Thanks

12. Frankalexandre

Frankalexandre Registered

1132 still dont create serverkeys.bin for me.
    I tried to use steamcmd +login anonymous +force_install_dir ../rFactor2-Dedicated +app_update 400300 -beta v1131 +quit
    but it still install 1132.

Jo Lacastagne likes this.
  13. Jo Lacastagne

Jo Lacastagne Registered

Hello,
    I have also this issue.

I have a server that is running on AWS (with that tuto : https://github.com/afloesch/rfactor2-server-setup) and working with workshop content but cannot have the serverkeys.bin

I also tried to create a server locally following studio397 instructions. It's also working but still no trace of serverkeys.bin.

Tried to run the command in order to put update to an older version but seems not working.

steamcmd +login anonymous +force_install_dir ../rFactor2-Dedicated +app_update 400300 -beta v1131 +quit

Is there a nice person to give us a fix/workaround here ?

Thank you in advance everyone :)

Rudy

14. Coutie

The server doesn't create them anymore, your client will.

15. Jo Lacastagne

Jo Lacastagne Registered

Ahhh, thank you Coutie for the reflexion !
    Indeed, now you just need to put the serverunlock.bin file from the game into the server's userdata folder directly.

Did not see that in a recent documentation !

Thank you again it's working now :)