Dedi server and AI. Help.

Discussion in 'Hosting Help' started by F1Fan07, Jan 25, 2013.

1. F1Fan07

F1Fan07 Member

Can anyone suggest a solution to this problem or is this a bug?

My client PC is listed in sig.

When I join a session (my own servers or other people's public servers) and add 5 AI cars then advance to race this is what happens.

It's like the data from the AI is timing out... like when the AI drives in a straight line off the road then snaps back into place. The two most powerful servers I've tested are barely cracking 20% CPU and a few hundred kbps. Here's what's weird. Watch the video timeline... every gap in AI data is 12 seconds apart!

My client PC has power to spare. It can run large AI fields without problem in an offline race. It's never had a problem racing online (including rF1 HistorX league races with almost 40 cars). In all my tests with rF2 pings to the server are 75 ms or lower.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2013
  2. Abriel Nei

Abriel Nei Registered

If you only experience this in multiplayer it is probably a network issue.
    If anyone else joins the same server do they have the same problem? If not then it is not a server issue but a client issue.
    If you didn't already do a fresh reinstall of the latest build and only with minimal cars/tracks. Might also try to backup your PLR file and delete it so rf2 creates a new one.

3. F1Fan07

F1Fan07 Member

Yea, I'll try a fresh install on the client next. I'm starting to think I've been chasing two separate issues that seemed to be connected but may not be.

4. F1Fan07

F1Fan07 Member

So the fresh install with one mod made no difference but I did track down the problem at the end of the evening. It was my wi-fi adapter. I ran a temporary ethernet cable across my house and bam... problem solved.

It's strange because the wi-fi adapter has performed well for three years moving much data. I use that PC for iRacing and rFactor1 racing 5 or 6 nights a week and rarely see lag or connection drops (and that's with fields nearing 40 cars). I stream HD video/audio with no issues.

For some reason rF2 and this USB adaptor (D-Link DWA-160 Rev A1) do not get along. It's like clockwork in the situation shown above in the video. Every 12 seconds or so the data stream to/from the server drops for a few seconds. I've monitored the actual amount of data flowing during this time and it's infinitesimal... not even 0.5% of the connection speed.

Anyway, I've now got a powerline ethernet adaptor installed near my race rig and all is good again.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2013
  5. hoser70

hoser70 Registered

wifi is never a good idea, no matter how fast it is. Glad you got it worked out.

6. F1Fan07

F1Fan07 Member

Yeah. I ran a quick test with 4 other drivers (non-AI... real people) and the data flow is solid with a wired connection.

This may be a bug though. I'll leave it here for consideration. I realize that wi-fi = bad but every other sim I race online is flawless with that setup. rF2 is, for some reason, choking the data stream for my wi-fi setup.

As an interesting side note, the wi-fi N adaptor I was using was connecting at a solid 200-240 Mbps, transferring big files to/from my home server confirmed that. The powerline adaptor I have now can barely reach 15 Mbps (probably too many loops through the electrical panel and the 200 Mbps powerline adaptors are struggling for signal). So the crappier wired connection is outperforming the faster wi-fi connection but *only* for rF2.

7. Dave-NRT

Dave-NRT Registered

F1Fan07:

data flow is solid with a wired connection.
    This may be a bug though.

Is your wi-fi secured re: pass worded and not set to broadcast? The weird connection just might be some-one piggy backing of of your router... Just a thought :)

Dave

8. F1Fan07

F1Fan07 Member

Valid question. It is secured and I regularly check the router logs.

I broadcast my SSID for convenience but that's not an issue. Since I live in a semi-rural area there are only about 10 houses close enough to me that could potentially cause problems. I know all my nearby neighbours (they all have their own wi-fi anyway) none are likely to hack my network. I have scanned their signals myself... I am the only one within my reception area using 5 GHz N, making me more secure. :)

I can drive rFactor for hours at a time without a hiccup via wi-fi. rF2? Pauses every 12-13 seconds. It's very strange.