Dedi is not connected to steam and can not be seen in the lobby...

Discussion in 'Hosting Help' started by zmitya, Mar 8, 2024.

1. zmitya

zmitya Registered

Hi All,
    I thought it is time to re-install our dedi server which ran on Win7...
    I have many years of XP and I thought that I do understand how it works, but it seems that I do not...

Here is what I have:
    - fresh install of a Win11 Pro
    - it is running on a VM, hosted by a Linux
    - fresh install of dedi server, installed using SteamCMD
    - I installed the shipped vcredist packages (both x64 versions)
    - it has a fix static IP public address, there is no NAT, no portforward needed, but only packet filter setup on Linux and on the Win11 firewall...
    - so TCP+UDP 54297, TCP 64297, UDP 64298, UDP 64299 ports are opened (both directions) on Linux and on Win11 as well

I also tried allowing every traffic on the Linux host and turned off the firewall on the Windows, but I still can't see the server on the matchmaker (Not connected to Steam) and I can't see it on this page either:
    https://simracepackages.lima-city.de/rF2server/

If I telnet to port TCP/54297 TCP/64297 from outside I can see the connection established...
    I also can see the incoming UDP packets sent to UDP/54297, UDP/64298, UDP/64299 arriving to the Win11 server (chacking it using Wireshark installed in Win11)

What else did I miss?
    What else is required to get it listed?

Plerase help me out...

Mitya

2. zmitya

zmitya Registered

Hi All,

Still struggling with this...

I installed an UDP receiver on the server and I was able to prove that all the UDP ports are opened on the server...
    I could send in UDP packets to UDP/54297, UDP/64298, UDP/64299...

I was also able to telnet to TCP/54297 and TCP/64297 when the dedi server was running...

So it DOES NOT seem to be a port opening issue, but something else...

I made some sniffing using Wireshark and saw that there is a TLS communication issue between the dedi and the api.steampowered.com
    Please find the screenshot attached...

I also found a steamplugin.log under the Userdata\Logs folder, which contins this:
    "rFactor Server failed to conect to Steam"

multiple times...

Please note that I have all the shipped vcredist libs installed, also I have just installed the newest one from Microsoft...

[​IMG]

In the screenshot you can see that there is a DNS query for api.steampowered.com and then there is a TCP handshake to the API.
    After the api there is a TLS handshake, but that fails for some reason...

Why??

Thanks for all the ideas...