Current Project - Many questions

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by Chris Lesperance, Mar 31, 2020.

1. John R Denman

John R Denman Registered

If you can export the graphic file as a step file I can open it in SolidWorks and compare dimensions in the Chassis.ini file. I have a SolidWorks model of the Swift DB009 but no other IndyCars. Not sure how iDT came up with the original pm file, but I know the 95 IndyCar PM file was nothing like the the real car geometry.

There is a spreadsheet from S397 that will run in Excel with a few bugs depending on the Excel version. The original rF1 version was actually quite accurate to the Cosworth engine. In those days an engine editor was available from Dave Purdy (RIP) and it appears to be a low level conversion from rF1. rF2 added a ton of new features in particular to better model turbo boost attributes but I have a doubt that many folks who would use it understand the physics behind turbos well enough to be proficient at using it to model the engine, especially when intercoolers, electronic bypass valves, fuel enrichment, ignition timing and Exhaust Gas Temperatures (EGT) is added. Both fuel and timing are used to alter EGT to extend effective power band of the turbo. Fortunately the Cosworth was much more simple yet elegant with a relatively flat powerband, in part due to methanol fuel. Modern IndyCar engines are also relatively flat over about 3000 RPM of the usable powerband.