Creating a racing event with 18 Corvette C6 GT2 and 10 GT4 370z

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by nurogize, Jul 19, 2018.

1. nurogize

nurogize Registered

I'd like to hold a 3 hour single player race event featuring 28 cars on a circuit that supports 32 garage and 32 unique pit spots.

I don't mind 2 cars of the same team and car model sharing the same pit area. I hope to simulate a Nordschleife race and sharing pits will be necessary, so I'd like to use this as a test run.

By default, there are only 4 teams of 2 cars each (i.e. 8 total .veh files) for the Corvette C6 GT2.
    I'd like to verify how I would go about creating 9 teams of 2 cars each, for this race event, before devoting, alot of time to arrange it.

The guide here (link), fails to address this question.

I've used the .MAS utility and extracted all of the corresponding file of C6's car.mas file to an isolated directory.

I see the .veh files for the corresponding teams, and open them with wordpad.exe
    [​IMG]

Questions about the following parameter relating to each team:
    • For the parameter "PitGroup":
    • If I set the PitGroup=1, for one the C6 .veh files, will this cause a conflict if I set the PitGroup=1 for one of the 370z .veh files?
    • The poster here (link), suggests that it's possible bypass manual PitGroup number labeling, and have the game automatically designate cars to use the same PitSpot based on their "Number=" parameter. If this is true how could I do it?
      • I'm hoping there's something similar to a MySQL compound key, where two attributes, in this case "Team=" and "PitGroup" parameters are used to assign PitSpots
    • In GTR2 I recall AI opponent of a totally different car model using my pit box, and this was so demoralizing I just ran with fuel use disabled; these were 3rd party not mods I believe.
    • How do I know that a pit space is being occupied? I don't mind lapping in 1 lap earlier than I should, if I know the pit space is open for me.
    Going back to my main question:
    After duplicating each of the .veh files for the Corvette C6, to have a total of 9 .veh files, 5 of which will be 'clones' do I then just repack the file into 'mas' archive and then:
    • Paste the content into: \rFactor 2\Installed\Vehicles\My Version of C6R
      • Instead of \rFactor 2\Installed\Vehicles\C6R_2009\1.93; to minimize the risk of online mismatch?
    Also, the guide I linked to (link), doesn't detail how to specify race distance, chance of rain, & qualifying time.
    • NVM, I went to the directory, \rFactor 2\Installed\rFm\, and extracted the corresponding file, and saw the values. I'd like the race to be based on 3 hours (180 minutes). Do I go ahead and delete the statement (entire line) "RaceLaps = 50"?
    Edit: It seems the video guide here (link), may detail how to add additional AI cars without causing a mismatch. But I'd still rather duplicate the entire car and teams in their own folder so I can have control in assigning pit boxes.

May someone provide a link to tutorial describing the parameters of the .rfm file? Especially on how to disable disqualifications and such.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  2. Booth_doberman

Booth_doberman Registered

Taking on just part of your question. I did a similar thing with the S397 endurance cars. I doubled the number or Orecas and Normas by duplicating the veh files and creating a new mas file. In my case, I renamed all the drivers in the veh files and I edited the dds files to put new numbers on the cars to match the driver's number. In the mas editor, I built a single component and did an Update to the S397 version. Now if I look in the package window in the launcher, I see a new entry for the orecas, for example, that shows it with the version number I gave it. I next went back into the mas editor and created a new package. In this package, I was able to choose the cars from the ones I had created in the single component step. I also added the Porsches and Corvettes so I ended up with 39 cars total. In the final pane of the package editor, you see a screen with left and right panes. If you mark the checkbox in the left pane and build your series, it will include the cars into the series. The cars become part of the package. It makes the package much larger. If you do not check anything in the left pane, the package/series will basically link to the existing cars. I think the purpose is that if the mod maker (or S397) updates a car, your package will use the new version. I think if the car is loaded into the package by checking the box in the left pane, that no matter what happens to the car, it will always use the version loaded into the package. I need more information on the Pitgroup thing. All of my cars use Pitgroup1, but I don't see a line in the pits of all the cars trying to use the same stall. Only once have I entered the pits to find another car in my slot. If I interpret the pitgroup parameter in the veh file correctly, every car should try to use the same pit slot. But that doesn't happen and I see other cars in the pits using other stalls.

3. Booth_doberman

For weather and race times, you can use the wet files for each track. If you go into Session Settings and change the weather to "scripted" and then start a practice session (or any session), RF2 will create a wet file in the track folder. It has a .wet extension. You could open that wet file and change the weather and session times manually. The wet file is used when the weather is set to "scripted." Practice/qualifying/race times are also written to the player.JSON file. If you do Python, I have a script that can do this for you based on historical weather from WeatherUnderground.

4. nurogize

nurogize Registered

I went ahead and created the appropriate number of .veh files for each car models, and changed their category & description parameter to the following:
    Category="Chevrolet, Corvette ALMS GT2 2009 custom"
    Description="Corvette C6.R GT2_c #16"

To not cause a conflict with the original models.

I went ahead and repackage it to their car .MAS file in the following custom directories:
    \Vir_3h\370z_gt4
    \Vir_3h\c6r_gt2_09

I've also gone ahead and duplicated the *.mft and car-encrypted.MAS files of the original vehicles from:
    rFactor 2\Installed\Vehicles
    rFactor 2\Installed\Vehicles

If this previous step isn't necessary I'd appreciate knowing how to avoid.

It seems simply pasting these into the directory:
    \rFactor 2\Installed\Vehicles\Vir_3h\

Won't allow the car to show up in the main menu.

I presume I have to compile it as rfcmp file and install package?

[​IMG]

In the MAS utility I did the following:
    Click open box icon → Create Single Cmp package
    After clicking package, where I'm I supposed to retrieve the rfcmp file to install as package? Also the *.mft files weren't added.

I also tried scripted weather and no wet file was generated nor were there any entry in the player .json file detailing race distance.

5. Booth_doberman

In the mas utility, there's a confusing thing and that may be what you're asking about. After you click to create a simple cmp package, it makes it look like you're supposed to Open a file. You're not; you're supposed to create/save a file but the button says Open instead of Save. Put in the name you want and click the Open button to save it. If you're doing a single component, you're going to do an update to the original files with the stuff you have, so you don't need all of the parts of the original mas files. For example, when I did the Orecas, I built a single component package with the mas file only including the veh files I created. For the Orecas, you don't get to see any of the other files (except the dds files) because they're encrypted and the package you create gets named car-updates.mas. Car-updates.mas is the name of the mas file that's available in S397's last update, v1.09. I set my Single Component Package to be version 1.11 and checked the box to update from 1.09 when I created and installed it.

I don't know what to tell you about the wet file. I subscribed to Zolder tonight, so it's a brand new track for me. I started single player and chose Zolder as the track. I went into Session Settings and changed the line that says Simple Weather to "scripted." I clicked Race. Once the track loaded, I exited RF2 and went to c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\rfactor 2\UserData\player\Setting\Zolder2016 and there's a file named ZOLDER2016s.wet in there.

nurogize likes this.
  6. nurogize

nurogize Registered

I was looking for the .wet file in
    • \rFactor 2\Installed\Locations\
    Instead of
    • \rFactor 2\UserData\player\Settings\
    I saw the .wet file in the latter, thanks.

I decided to focus on duplicating just the .veh files, since the .hdv is encrypted. I had some success.
    I placed all 18 .veh files in mas.exe and saved them in: rFactor 2\Installed\Vehicles\C6R_2009\1.93\

The following table shows teams I'm trying to create & where I'm duplicating their skin from:
    Code:
    +------------+-----------------+
    | Source DDS | Teams utilizing |
    |         00 |          00, 01 |
    |         03 |          03, 04 |
    |         06 |          06, 07 |
    |         09 |          09, 10 |
    |         11 |  11, 12, 13, 14 |
    |         15 |          15, 16 |
    |         23 |          23, 24 |
    |         56 |          56, 57 |

The new teams appeared in the game's menu as seen in the following screenshot:
    [​IMG]

Unfortunately the default teams:
    • 00, 03, 06, 09, 11, 15, 23, 56
    The filename must be changed. The parameters such as "Number=" do not have to be changed. The *icon.DDS and *SMicon.DDS must both be re-labeled as well, in order for the car's image to show up in the car selection menu.

I would also, like to know if it would be possible to place the team.mas file in different directory such as:
    • \rFactor 2\Installed\Vehicles\Nurburgring _24h_team_pack
    And still refer to the appropriate .hdv files and such. I think this would be better than going into each individual car model folders and pasting team.mas in there.

In rFactor 1, you could do,
    • HDVehicle=rFactor 2\Installed\Vehicles\C6R_2009\1.93\C6R_GT2_2009.hdv
    • Graphics=rFactor 2\Installed\Vehicles\C6R_2009\1.93\C6R_GT2_2009.gen
    But since the files are within car-encrypted.mas, that doesn't seem to be an option.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
  7. nurogize

nurogize Registered

Thanks alot Mangoletsi. I was able to work my way backwards, after extracting the .mas file and re-reading Booth's post. I've included an image guide, for those newcomers who may come across this post in the future.

Also, will the aggresion & AI strength setting override in-game, override those in the included .RCD file? I've also remember reading elsewhere that when an AI driver takes over the player/human's car, it tends to be either alot faster or slower than the other AI opponents who run on a different settings; I'm guessing that's where this .RCD file comes in handy.

Step 1: Open mas2.exe → 'Open box' icon, located below View Menu Bar → Create Single CMP package. Component must be set C6R_2009, since that's where the hdv, 3d model, and such is located at.
    [​IMG]

Step 2: Be sure to set the 'official' folder name, 'version' (make sure it doesn't exist) and 'type' (C6R_2009 is located in ..\Vehicle\), then select icon next to 'MAS files' title bar.
    [​IMG]
    Step 2.1: Be sure to specify 'Update From' box with the appropriate version number of the base mod, in this case, 1.93, otherwise you'll need to copy and paste a 2nd copy of the generated team.mas (don't name it car.mas, anything else is fine), into the base version folder.
    [​IMG]

Step 3: Select icon next to file drop down menu. Enter what ever name you want and click open to export/save rfcmp file. Then press package button.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
  8. nurogize

nurogize Registered

I had to re-install the game because somehow the C6R_2009 folder get deleted.

Went ahead and re-installed it.

Now whenever I install Mangoletsi's "team pack", the original C6 teams refuse to appear in the game's menu. I've included an image.
    [​IMG]

Using the rFactor launcher to uninstall the version 1.94 skinpack results in both the 1.94 and 1.93 folder being deleted. I've decided to manually delete the 1.94 folder, now the contents of 1.93 are appearing again...

Also for the sake of simplicity, can I implement a solution, similar to Magoletsi, without the .RCD file? I don't mind all the driver's being the same and having the same attribute. Once I can get the teams to appear in game, then I may go ahead and set specific attributes.

With Mangoletsi's 1.94 team pack uninstalled, and 1.95 installed ,only the default teams appear. If one can get my 1.95 pack to appear in game it would be appreciated.

Here's a sample of 6 teams in Magoletsi's \1.94\ team pack:
    [​IMG]

Here's a sample of 6 teams in \1.95\, the one I made
    [​IMG]

Edit:
    While trying to re-impletment my first solution (i.e. "1.95"), based on placing team.mas without MFT, in the 1.93 folder, I noticed, no matter what, the *icon.dds & *SMicon.dds refused to show up in game's car selection menu, so I decided compile the .mas with an MFT file using the guide detailed in my previous post and was able to generate an icon of the car skin in the game's menu. The team.mas file generated in \1.95\ had to to be copied & pasted into the 1.93 folder; failure to do this prevents any of the custom teams showing up in the game's menu. If anyone knows a reason for having to re-copy the file into \1.93\ it would be appreciated.

Note: Having a team filename such as C6_00_x.veh, will not allow icon to generate in game. C6_00xicon.dds, seems to work though.

2nd edit:
    The 'update from' box needed to specified with 1.93, this negated the need of having copy and paste a 2nd copy of team.mas file in the 1.93 folder.
    [​IMG]

3rd edit: I was able to build a teams pack similar to Magoletsi. But just like Magoletsi's pack, none of the default teams appear under Chevrolet, only the Camaro's appear.

The only way I've gotten both the default and custom teams to appear, is to leave the "update from" box blank in 'Create Component Package', and to create a 2nd copy of *.mas (must not be named car) file appearing in the newly created version folder, and and place that 2nd copy in the base version folder. From there, none of the .veh files in the new *.mas file can have the same file name as the one in the car.mas file.

I've provided a link to both mas file contents (in a zip file) and rfcmp:
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/iyn87riysc37aul/c6r_custom_mas.zip/file
    Note: The mas files (link above) doesn't contain the unique number of the individual vehicles' DDS file.
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/iyn87riysc37aul/c6r_custom_mas.zip/file
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/d12uubwrgibwpf5/vir_3h_370z.rfcmp/file

Assuming you have basic Photoshop knowledge, this brief tutorial, should help make it a bit less tedious to changing the numbers: http://www.tomsguide.com/faq/id-1955049/extract-color-code-image-image.html

4th edit: Same thing happens after creating the 10 350z teams.

5th edit: The game was able to adhere to AI pit groups
    You may post this in the track's GDB or .rFM (higher precedence):
    Note: You may feel free include more groups, even if the teams in the car pack make up far less group in total.
    Code:
    PitGroupOrder
    {
      PitGroup = 2, Group1
      PitGroup = 2, Group2
      PitGroup = 2, Group3
      PitGroup = 2, Group4
      PitGroup = 2, Group5
      PitGroup = 2, Group6
      PitGroup = 2, Group7
      PitGroup = 2, Group8
      PitGroup = 2, Group9