Create sounds for mod; how?

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by Navigator, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Hi guys,

For a mod, I need a new sound as it is not allowed to use anything of the original.

Now I do have samples of a car like that driving, but of course the rpm goes up and down.
    I need samples the same rpm, right? Out of a mivie, I can get half a second of sound that is the same range.

Standing next to a car and letting it rev at different rpm's for a while is out of the question.
    But on the other hand; there are a lot of mods out there with all their own sound and I know not everyone has met the real car to take samples.

My question is; how? Any ideas, does anyone knows of a good trick?

Thanks!

2. peterchen

peterchen Registered

I wonder for myself where modders got all the samples from! lol
    A video/movie however is the badest source you can get.
    I would suggest to record sounds from a similar engine and edit the sound until it sounds similar enough to original.
    But that is easy said and hard to do as you have to visit a racetrack at a day when such cars are there and then be allowed to stand there in the pitlane and record sounds. And even then you will have non-perfect samples as engine must be record under load also.
    This is something I expect to be done by professionals like S397 for example.:p

If I´m allowed to give you advice: I would sample from other (forgotten) games and edit the sound until they match original good enough.
    It´s edited then, so not exactly "stolen" and noone will ever notice.

3. jerrymcc

jerrymcc Registered

Sounds are difficult, obviously. While I was with D3 and went to the 2005(6) Rolex24, we had a guy digitally record sounds for several cars, inside the cockpit and outside, at different rpms. That mod eventually turned into the GrandSlam mod released by PunkoBob later. I'm not sure if the sounds in that mod are from those recordings or not.

You have to get as long a sound at the same frequency as you can, hopefully a few seconds, and loop it smoothly (very difficult), and then match the sounds to their native frequency and to overlap with the other sounds. Audacity can do a lot of this, but it's still a bit of an art.

I'm sure idtDoug, and other former members around here can attest to the effort required.

4. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Thanks guys; its going to be a bitch I understand.......guessed as much.
    While I do have acces to pit lanes and are known by raceteams, its still hard to get them to keep the revs up and let me record......thats not a real option I think.

Borrowing from another mod might be the best option. I can search for a sound that is okay, ask permission and resample it. I've got a student who's handy with that kind of stuff; maybe he wants to get his grades a bit higher ;)

Thanks again guys!

5. lordpantsington

lordpantsington Registered

Ideally you want samples from the same source, with fixed RPM, and all from a static microphone position relative to the emitter.

Changing RPM is "easy" to fix by pitch bending. Emitter position relative to microphone changing (such as with a trackside sample, or an idling car youtube video where the cameraman walks around the car) is not so easy to fix.

Having a team hold an RPM for a sample is likely going to be difficult. The next best alternative is to have the rpm step at a linear rate. Not sure if you can get a team to set the ramp up on the rpms at 1000 rpm per tenth of a second such that it takes 0.7 seconds to go from 1000 to 8000 rpm. If you had a way to sync data capture to sound capture you'd be golden.