Crashing to Desktop

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by TheSecret1, Aug 25, 2022.

1. TheSecret1

TheSecret1 Registered

Title: Memory_Corruption error - Game crashing to desktop

Type: Support Question

Describe Your Issue:

15.09.2022: rF2 crashed on me 2 times tonight, again whilst on Multi-server.
    The second instance (09:47PM) didn't show up in the Event Viewer, but the first did (7:47:06PM).
    upload_2022-9-15_22-16-39.png

the rFMini.dmp and trace file is attached.

Any help appreciated!

Original: Ever since the last update the game wil just shutdown without warning and close completely back to the desktop (Game is also closed in Steam).

It has happened 4 times now, with 2 today.
    Each time has been on a multiplayer server. 2 different servers, with 3 times on 1 server.
    3 times on the 2 servers it happened going from Quali to warm up, with the last time happening about 90 minutes in a 120 minute race.

Looking at the 2 crashes on 25th August 7:55'ish
    Application Error in Event Viewer:
    upload_2022-8-25_22-44-36.png

upload_2022-8-25_22-45-3.png

at 9:40pm, which was around when rfactor 2 crashed the second time, this was the only error I could find.
    upload_2022-8-25_22-45-48.png

Attached are the 2 trace files from these times.

Also the rFMini.dmp file, which when I went exploring found this error.
    upload_2022-8-25_22-49-46.png

Thanks

Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz
    Geforce RTX 3080ti [not overclocked]
    32 GB RAM
    VR - Pimax

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 15, 2022
  2. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

Test your system with just one RAM stick installed.
    Is it 2 x 16Gig sticks you have?
    If problem is still there, test with just the other.

3. TheSecret1

TheSecret1 Registered

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@TheSecret1 what are your windows virtual memory settings?

5. TheSecret1

TheSecret1 Registered

4864 MB
    upload_2022-8-26_10-33-24.png

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Ok, but if you click Change... is it windows managed or set by you?

If you've set it to something, try letting windows manage it.

7. TheSecret1

TheSecret1 Registered

4 x 8GB.
    I have run Memory Diagnostic with no errors. Also I have not had a BSOD which from what I understand would happen with RAM problems.
    When I google Memory Corruption, what I have read points to programs - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_corruption
    So far the problem has only occurred when in a Multiplayer Event, when warmup kicks over and mid race. Gonna be some sadness if I have to crash out of 4 more league races. :( lol

DJCruicky likes this.
  8. TheSecret1

TheSecret1 Registered

Auto.
    upload_2022-8-26_10-43-14.png

9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@TheSecret1 ok, that's a shame. The 0xe0000008 exception code seems to be commonly linked to virtual memory running out, so I was hoping that might be it. As incongruous as it sounds you may want to try turning off Automatic and manually setting it to something like 10000 or 15000 MB (I realise it's not easy to test). It can sometimes be a "try the other way" thing, though normally this is caused by people with lots of RAM disabling or limiting their virtual memory. Worth a shot perhaps.

The fact it's coming off kernelbase would sort of indicate it's more likely a system issue, but hopefully with the minidump a dev can check where it's crashing in rF2 and potentially identify an issue.

TheSecret1 likes this.
  10. Rolfestar

Rolfestar Registered

Hi all - sorry to hijack this thread but just wanted to report that recently I've been having the exact same issue as @TheSecret1

Happens usually between 90/120 minutes of 'in game' time - screen locks, FFB and sound are still working but display freezes then crashes to desktop.

Similar PC specs as well interestingly - can post full info over the weekend if of use?

bakain9 likes this.
  11. bakain9

bakain9 Registered

Good Morning, i have the same problem like "Rolfestar".
    Without any warning the screen freezes, but i can hear that i can usw throttle, break etc. for some more seconds and than the game crash completly.

i have no knowledge about trace documents. But i have some of these from my last crashes.

i deleted some infos in the middle of the trace documents, because i dont know what someboady need in this files.

My PC Config:
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-12900K 3.19 GHz
    128 GB RAM
    64-Bit Windows 11
    Tuf Gaming Z690-Plus DDR4 Mainboard
    Geforce rtx 3090

and i use the Fanatec CSL Elite

i hope somebody can help. Thank you

Attached Files:

12. Edvvc

Edvvc Registered

And I am seeing this crashing too. Happened yesterday 23 laps into a 36 lap online league race. Screen froze while I could hear the game was still running.

13. TheSecret1

TheSecret1 Registered

If it is any help, I have done a fresh rebuild/install of Windows along with all software I use.
    As I used this computer for work, I have not installed any work software and have kept it just for gaming atm.
    very limited software enabled on startup and so far no crashes.

Monitoring your Event Viewer to see what problems are occuring is very helpful.

14. Edvvc

Edvvc Registered

I have nothing installed other than Steam, Epic games launcher, Discord.
    Attached is the error when the game crashed (again today during a league race). Any ideas?

Attached Files:

15. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

Edvvc and TheSecret1 like this.
  16. Edvvc

Edvvc Registered

i7 5820K
    16GB DDR4
    6GB 980Ti
    3 x 1080p G-Sync monitors using MultiView, not using NVidia Surround

I launched rfactor2 with options "+trace=2 +traceFlush" and was on a multiplayer server for around 90 minutes when the game crashed to desktop. I was in-car but sitting stationary in the pits.

No rFMini.dmp file was created in the UserData folder. I also can't find an Application Error event log message this time.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 27, 2022
  17. Edvvc

Edvvc Registered

I rejoined and again the game crashed after about the same amount of time, 100 minutes or so. Attached is a portion of the history graphs generated by MSI Afterburner where the time of the crash is indicated with the red arrow (20:12BST). There is a burst of CPU activity about a minute before the crash and I have seen this every time I have been looking at these graphs after the crash (about 4 times now).

Attached Files:

18. TheSecret1

TheSecret1 Registered

@Edvvc - I reformatted and reinstalled all my software. So far it is running ok, but time will tell.

P.S. I turned afterburner logging on too now. ;)

Edvvc likes this.
  19. Edvvc

Edvvc Registered

@Coutie any advice on how to resolve this? Another league race was ruined on Wednesday (9th November) from the game crashing in this way and i'm unlikely to be in contention for the championship now. The trace log from this session is attached. Again, the crash happened after the game had been running for about 100 minutes. I had exited the multiplayer session during this time but had not exited rfactor2. In previous race days I had restarted rfactor2 during qualifying so that I wouldn't need to have it running for more than 100 minutes at a time and it avoided a crash. Might be a coincidence but it is pretty consistent.

No rFMini.dmp was generated this most recent crash but I do have one from two days previously (7th November) when the game crashed under different circumstances - I think just after the track had loaded.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 11, 2022