Crashing (return directly to window desktop) by loading or switching a session

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Judicael Leman, Dec 2, 2023.

1. Judicael Leman

Judicael Leman Registered

Hi all,

I have a very frustrating bug...

First, I'm regularly crashing after loading an offline or online session. It loads till 100% and quits the game suddenly to win desktop...
    Sometimes, when I finally get to the practice session, same thing happens between the qualifying session and the race session online (I'm doing my practice/qualifying session and then I'm ejected to win desktop when the qualifying/race session starts...).

I have tried a fresh installation, verifying the files on steam... Always the same issue...
    I have notice one "strange" thing : during the loading window, when I push on my pedals ( Pedals with a
    Load Cell Interface LC-USB 16-bit by Leo Bodnar), it always crashes as I mentioned (offline or online session)... Then I tried to update the Leo Bodnar circuit and nothing changes.
    I tried to do the same thing with my other devices during loading (handbrake, button box and shifter) and no crash.
    I'm running on win 11 pro with a i7 13700k, 128Gb RAM and a 4070Ti graphic card. All my drivers are updated.
    I also play on AC, ACC and AMS2 without troubles so I hope it's not coming from my PC.

Actually, I can't start to race safely with the new online system as I'm still ejected before the qualifying/race session... Very disappointing...
    Is there a known bug with this kind of device ( I've found nothing on forums) ?

Thanks for your help.

2. Judicael Leman

I check all my usb ports and try different setting (all usb on my motherboard, pedals + handbrake + shifter on a powered usb 3.0 hub), and still have the same issue.
    I check all my pc (bios and win11 install) and everything seems ok.
    That's a pity this game is so unstable...

3. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

What is your in-game name? Just solved an issue with a user who had a long name, I think 32 characters is the max allowed. This was causing a crash when loading finished.

4. Judicael Leman

My in-game name is Judicael Leman.
    The issue appears randomly. It's so weird.

5. Judicael Leman

Some news : after checking all my pc (components, drivers...), updating all my usb peripheral devices (wheel, handbrake, pedals and button box), looking for similar cases on forums... I wasn't able to solve my issue...
    I suspected an usb device issue because I also have same kind of crashes with AMS2 and AC too (just after loading).

But today, I decide to do a very simple thing : plug my wheel on the same 3.0 usb hub (a powered one) like the other usb peripherals (the wheel was previously plugged directly on the pc)... It seems to be more stable (I've made a race online without troubles between sessions...).
    I tried many sessions without crashing so I hope it will work stably now... Wait and see...

During my research, I solve another issue I sometimes have : a loss of fps when arriving on a session (starting from the pits at 55-57 laggy fps).

By disabling "Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling" from the settings in Parameters > System > Display > Graphics > Default graphics settings, I have 60 fps from the start and the game runs smoothly.

I hope it'll help.
    See you on tracks.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2023
    Lazza likes this.
  6. Comante

Comante Registered

Check your GPU VRAM usage if you end it, you may experience those CTDs

7. Judicael Leman

TY, I check that too.
    My issue seems to be solved, I run RF2 on multiple sessions flawlessly today and no CTD.