Core i3/ i5 first gen CPU performance: What to expect?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tsunamibr, Mar 25, 2012.

1. tsunamibr

tsunamibr Registered

Hi all,

I just got a Core i5-750 (first generation) this weekend, and would like to know if there is anyone here who has this same CPU, or maybe a Core i3, so I can compare. I´m willing to figure out what to expect from it, assuming I get a high end GPU (so it's not the system bottleneck). Say, a race with 20 AI cars, is the i5-750 fine?
    Thanks!

Rodrigo

2. Bart S

Bart S Member

You'd be better off with an 860 i5 however i don't know much about duel core cpus. Rf does not use more than 2 so a faster clock per core on a duel will work better than a slower clock per core on a quad at 3.2 ghz its no strain on my quad however my quad can take care of other system tasks in the background. This is where you may suffer some micro pausing but you should be fine over 3.5-4ghz and with only essential system tasks running.

3. djt

djt Registered

If you can, hold off or return what you’ve got and wait a little bit for the release of Intel’s Ivy Bridge “I” series CPU’s along with the new Z77 chipset.

4. Bart S

Bart S Member

Dont expect any major performance increase with ivybridge, its just a die shrink right now, power and efficiency is better but base clock and all features will remain the same, the only great thing to look forward to right now is potentially a higher overclock.

5. djt

djt Registered

The higher over clocking potential and efficiency will help with games like rFactor2 that use older game engines that are primarily CPU dependent. The new Z77 chipset is also a significant improvement over Z68, no sense in investing in yesterday’s hardware unless you’re getting it for an unusually good deal.

Ivy-Bridge architecture improvements -

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4830/intels-ivy-bridge-architecture-exposed/2

6. tsunamibr

tsunamibr Registered

No, I don't have a choice... The i5 was a sort of gift.
    So, there's really no any more core i3/i5 1o. gen users in this forums?

Rodrigo

7. tsunamibr

tsunamibr Registered

So, I must conclude that you don't think this CPU will be enough to handle rFactor 2 fine?
    Maybe someone from the ISI staff could say a word about this?
    Anyway, thanks for your help

Rodrigo

8. tsunamibr

tsunamibr Registered

So, I must conclude that you don't think this CPU will be enough to handle rFactor 2 fine?
    Maybe someone from the ISI staff could say a word about this?
    Anyway, thanks for your help

Rodrigo

9. djt

djt Registered

You’re not going to see great result’s running that at its stock clock speed but if you overclock it up to 3.5 GHz+ along with a decent video card you should get good performance.

10. F2kSel

F2kSel Registered

I'm trying to run it on an i5 750 with ATI 5850 and speed wise it isn't too bad but I can't run it maxed out and only have 15 AI.

I thought I'd Overclocked my CPU to 3.2 but it seems it was a bad overclock and actually ran slower in games (2.8) than desktop (3.2) anyway FPS were 44 at back of the grid and after fixing my bad overclock and now getting 3.6, I gained ZERO FPS though.

They really need to use more cores as raw speed gets very expensive the faster you go.

11. tsunamibr

tsunamibr Registered

Thanks, F2kSel! Very good to know about your experience. I suppose your bottleneck is your GPU? What if you turn things off, or lower your resolution? Does the fps increase above 44?
    I might consider an overclock as well then, as you did. I heard it's not that difficult with the 750
    Cheers

12. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

rF 2 can use all 4 cores (up to 30% increase in fps at 3,5GHz 4 vs 2 cores)... but if your GFX is the bottleneck then obviously CPU won't make your PC running faster in rF 2.
    i5 @ ~4GHz and nVidia card like GTX 460 1GB or faster (Ati simply can't deliver at the moment in rF 2) and you are good to go.

13. taufikp

taufikp Registered

Eh? rF2 can really use all cores available? Where did you get that info from Les? If that info is correct, well sir, that really is a good news! :)

14. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Hahahaaha. I think LesiU is wrong on this one. :D

15. F2kSel

F2kSel Registered

I have most settings down to and including shadows set to high and everything below that set to off.
    I can increase FPS if I turn more stuff off but after the first corner FPS rise to around 60-80 anyway once the other cars spread out. I haven't tried in the rain but don't think it would be that great though.

I have one real game killer for me, my FPS are cut in half if I go to desktop and back to the game. Before the last patch it was the other way round which isn't as bad just annoying but now I have to restart the whole game and that takes to long.

16. Marek Lesniak

Personal test done by my friend on i5 2500k. Comparison 2 vs 3 vs 4 cores + 2,5 vs 3,5 vs 4,5GHz (all possible combinations).
    Tests were done at full details, AA Level 3, 1680x1050, Megane 29AI at Mills (formation lap), GTX 460 1GB OCed. Min, avg and max fps values were logged with Fraps.

rFactor 2 was optimized for dual-core cpus, that's true.... but having 3 or 4 cores will provide you *some* performance gain (how much, compared to dual core? That depends on how much more cores you have and cpu frequency).
    In general - the faster the cpu is, the less gain you get from having more than 2 cores... at 4,5GHz, there is no gain for 4 vs 3 cores and only about 10-12% between 3 vs 2 cores. On the other hand, at 2,5GHz between 4 and 2 cores there is about 50% gain (I'm not at home atm so I'm not 100% sure is it exactly 50%).

17. Adam Gutowski

Adam Gutowski Registered

There is a strange thing with Nvidia cars. on banchmark.pl they made a test, and the results was something like this:

With less than 4 cores NV are slower. 4 and more cores in cpu makes same fps performance. ATI cards don't have that issue (or not as much as NV). So when you have 2-3 core cpu, ATI can be faster than with similar Nvidia, but comparing the same card on 4 cores can get the opposite result.

http://www.benchmark.pl/testy_i_recenzje/Radeon_i_GeForce_na_procesorze_2-_i_4-rdzeniowym... ONLY IN POLISH

18. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

I run a Core i5 2500k right now. Performance is fantastic with all options cranked up (460 GTX) and a full grid, I experience no slow downs with a minimal FPS of around 50 FPS, max near 90. rFac tor2 doesn't have a benchmarking tool so I'm going by glancing at the FPS in the built-in frame rate counter. I have been very happy with this build.

Looking at reviews, it seems that performance of the older i5 750 is somewhat below that of Sandy Bridge. Comparing the 2500k to the 750, it looks like raw CPU performance in gaming is 15%-25% (roughly) worse. It depends on the application and setup. If we go worse case scenario and say that the i5 750 performance will slow down rFactor2 a full 25%from my own system you are still looking good.

that means my 50-90 FPS becomes 38-68 FPS which is still very playable. With a better GPU and maybe turning things like shadows down a bit, you will be very happy with your build IMHO.

19. Marek Lesniak

Keep in mind that at that level of performance, CPU is not the most important element. It has influence but only to a certain point. With rFactor 1, that "line" was for C2D @ ~3-3,5GHz (depending on gfx). Of course I'm not talking about offline solo performance, where you have a few hundred fps :)

With rFactor 2, it looks like something like 3,5-4,0GHz dual core might be the sweet spot (but you want to look towards quad core cpu). The slower cpu you have, the more it is the limiting factor to gfx card but after some point, having faster cpu gives you no real performance gain. That's where you want to be and I'm pretty sure i5 750 @ 4GHz will be more than enough for rFactor 2, including near future.

20. Marek Lesniak

Just checked the test results and at 2,5GHz, fps gain from having 4 vs 2 cores is: 45,5%, 55,2% and 39,2% (min, max and avg).