Converting tracks from rFactor to rFactor2 Help

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by steveluppino, Apr 24, 2013.

1. steveluppino

steveluppino Registered

I'm trying to convert tracks from rFactor tor Factor2. I already converted one following the video from Sparskis and using 3DsimED3 but I am having trouble with others. They dont load after implementing real road. If I skip the part where you impliment real road and just change the track names in the GMT and SCN folders before packing the tracks load but the track is green. The rest of the scenery is normal. But when I implement real road on the same track it won't load at all.

2. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

Your road surface needs to be separate, independent object and named as RaceSurface_xx. Sounds like you have some terrain (or other object) attached to asphalt, which causes green track surface.

If your track is working (loading) correctly on dev mode, it should work in single/multiplayer mode as well. I would investigate if there is something wrong in RR shader settings.

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2013
  3. steveluppino

steveluppino Registered

Thanks for your reply.

I tried everything you suggested except RR shader setings. I'm not sure what they are or where to find them. Can you explain please?

This is what else I did. I separated the road in GMT, opened 3DsimED3, opened the road, then I opened Joesville from ModDev locations copied the road surface and pasted it. I implemented all the textures, exported to GMT's and changed the track names to racesurface_track_xx. Then I ran the SCN file with 3DsimEd and it all seemed OK. Exported it back to GMT's. Ran the Output.scn. It looked fine. Packaged it and installed it. But it didn't load up. I tried several tracks all with the same result.

I am new to track modding and don't know my way around very much. I hope the problem is only simple.

Any help I can get would be much appreciated.

4. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

First of all, you don't need to pack your track until you are ready to release it. Generally speaking, track and car developing/testing should be done in Developer Mode, not necessarily in Single Player mode.

I'm not so familiar with 3DSimEd or converting tracks (as I model only with 3dsmax, scratch building things...), but all principles and rF2 requirements should work (and implement) there too.

RealRoad (RR) material needs to be setup exactly as it's described in ISI's Track Tech Manual. All RR material texture mapping channels must be set correctly, instances must be named correctly etc. Otherwise it wont work and result could be something like green track or even crash during loading. There should be slots (mapping channels) in 3DSimEd material editor too, so if you follow carefully TrackTech manual guidelines how to implement RR, it should work.

Cheers!

5. steveluppino

steveluppino Registered

Thanks for the tip about testing in dev mode. It saved me alot of time.

Still having problems. I read the tutorial and did things correctly. The track only loads if I dont change (copy and paste from rF2 track) the road surface material. I can change any other material except for the road and it will load.

The green track results when you change the instances names to racesurface_xx (but you still must exclude the road material from the rF2 track for it to load). But the green track disappears when you change the names back to Track_xx. So basically I have done nothing.

I noticed that when you open a Track_xx gmt object file from rF1 with 3DsimED it looks different from the rF2 racesurface_xx gmt. (Sorry I can't show you the image). The rF1 image has surrounding terrain around the road surface and the rF2 one has not. Do you have to remove the surrounds for it to work? I doubt it because like I said I can change the terrain materials ok and the track will load. Just not the same with the road material.

I can't figure it out. Like I said I followed the manual. The program seems to be having trouble exporting the shaders perhaps. Any ideas?

Do you get different results with 3Ds max? And another thing how do you get the coreshaders from rF2 into 3Ds max hardwareshaders when you cant extract the the mas files using gmotor2? You get unknown key error.

6. MoodyB

MoodyB Registered

7. Banger

Banger Registered

3ds max:
    first of all , open a new projected, make a simple plane in 3ds max, open the materials (M key). selected multi sub objected material.then selected first mat page and change that to gmat ,then scroll all the way down the materials window to the bottom line , it will say Reset gmaterials , click that and selected your mod dev/shared folder. click on mas file.

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2013
  8. Mario Morais

Mario Morais Registered

You right :)