Computer for rF2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sherwin92, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Sherwin92

Sherwin92 Registered

Hi everyone!

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, apologies if it isn't.

I'm in the process of putting a PC together for a friend who wants to get into rF2. Seeing as I struggle to find what is required to run rF2 on good frames, I'm hoping for some advice/assistance here. This is what I currently got:

Intel i3-7100
    Asus prime H270-Plus (lga 1151)
    EVGA GEforce GTX 1050 2GB
    Corsair 4GB DD4 (1X4GB)
    WD Blue 1000GB sata internal
    EVGA Supernova G2 500W BQ
    Windows 10 home

Will this do the job, or is there something that needs changing?

Thanks in advance everyone!

2. ceecee

ceecee Registered

You will definitely need more RAM memory as the video card is on the low end and the CPU as well but should do the job.
    Make sure you buy the correct memory for that mainboard (I do not know what Corsair model you have now so look on the ASUS website https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/PRIME-H270-PLUS/HelpDesk_QVL/ ), 8GB in total at least is needed, the mainboard supports up to 64GB.
    At a later stage, a better video card with at least 4GB GDDR5 and an SSD will help the processor get its work done.

3. dadaboomda

dadaboomda Registered

To not be frustrated by low FPS, unstable FPS, and low image quality, I strongly suggest minimum gtx 1070 with an overclock (easy to do). But I agree, the gtx 1070 is expensive. (Compare the benchmark, my gtx 780 +23% OC is frustrating).

Rf2 is very badly optimized in terms of peformance. S397 works actually to improve the performance of the shadows, which is the worst graphic setting for the performance.
    So we have "hope" that the big performance issue in rf2 will be improve.

Concerning the CPU :
    The CPU is less important in rf2 than the GPU BUT more important than in other games.

I have a i5 2500K with +15% OC.
    It's really barely enough. I recommend at least 50% better benchmark minimum (see comparative benchmark sites).

I have 16go of RAM BUT it is 1270 htz speed only.... (not 1333/1600/2400 etc. And it is widely enough !!!

Concerning the motherboard, it is strongly better to have a PCI express ***3.0*** x16 (not 2.0), as @stonec will say ! ;)

Very important :
    Lower the gpu / cpu temperatures to avoid throttling and so having a STABLE performance of FPS.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
  4. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

Will he play with single 1920x1080 screen?
    I would recommend to check secondhand market for parts and full systems if budget is limited.
    i had before gtx 780 ti and i5-4670k and that was ok with triple screen and low graphics settings.

5. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

780 Ti runs rF2 just fine but PCI-E@3.0 x16 is a must ;)

6. stonec

stonec Registered

780 Ti might need more power than his 500 W PSU though. Modern i3 with high clock frequency and IPC is actually ideal CPU for rF2 as it's basically only using two threads. Just add 4 GB more RAM, make sure GPU runs in PCI 3.0 mode and buy a better GPU if you want to run the game maxed.

7. bwana

bwana Registered

Comes down to if your friend is a driving nut or gaming nut really and also importantly the monitor Hz .. no point spending $$$$ to get a constant 250fps when all you need is steady 60 fps to max out your monitor .. A lot of guys here need everything maxed out in settings but for a ‘driver’ that certainly isn’t necessary ..

elcoco likes this.
  8. Sherwin92

Sherwin92 Registered

Thanks very much for all the wise words of wisdom guys! :D .

He will be using a 25" ultrawide monitor running 2560x1080@60Hz. He is a driving nut more than anything, he is switching from console to PC primarily for rF2 and possibly AC, and other games will be the likes of Motorsport Manager. After having long discussions with him he is more on the side of framerate than graphics quality (much like myself :p )

bwana likes this.
  9. bwana

bwana Registered

I’d say build to the extent of his budget then , memory memory memory !!

10. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

I think it's good to have well beyond 60 fps even with 60 hz screen if possible. I think it took 120 fps or more for me to get smooth picture without vsync.

Tackset and dadaboomda like this.