Code question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jajp999, Jan 31, 2012.

1. jajp999

jajp999 Registered

Just out of interest:-

- What language is rF2 written in?
    - How many lines of code is it?

2. Jeremy Miller

Jeremy Miller Former ISI Senior Programmer

C++
    I dont know -- a lot ;)

3. TJones

TJones Registered

C++ still the number one in game developement. I´m not a pro coder, so my question may sounds a little naive.
    Which other programming language´s are suitable for professionally game development, what about C# ?

4. Jameswesty

Jameswesty Registered

It just depends on

1) platform and market that the game is aimed at
    2) staff - what languages your staff are most used to working with ( although many coders know multiple languages and can move from one to another given a bit of time)
    3) what languages your company has used before
    4) available code base for the language and how well it suites your development needs

http://langpop.com/

From my exsperance If a coder is good at C or C++ then They will probably be able to adapt to any other language quite easily , however it will take a coder that's using more script based languages like java or action script longer to jump up to something like C++ although less so now with AS 3.0

I would say its not really a clear cut case of which is the best language for games its more just a case of what will achieve the companies goals in the most cost affective way with the resources available.

Lots of Indi developers focus on Objective-C to program for apple but you also have engines like unity that's built in C++ But I believe uses C# for scripting and can then be compiled for use on apple devices.

I'm not a coder I just work with them and tell them what to do /what I need , so you might want to check with a coder but above is my understanding of things :)

Oh if I was to hire a coder my primary concerns are

1) the code runs well with few bugs
    2) the code is well documented ( so it can be changed in the future or worked on by other people)
    3) they code in fairly standerd ways so its easy to fix bugs or have others come in and spot issues
    4) they can communicate clearly and can say how long it will take them to do X ( and then I double that time lol )
    5) they are easy to get on with and not arrogant , I have worked with some coders that are actually slow or worse than other coders but there attitude was so good the work overall gets done faster and more importantly they were enjoyable to work with.

As long as a coder meets the above criteria then they are fantastic regardless of language they are proficient in.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2012
  5. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Agree with Jameswesty