Cockpit view F1

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by Rock, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Rock

Rock Registered

Hello
    I want to solve a visual problem for my future mod F1. The desire is that it is suitable for players with giant screen. In external view (pursuit) the cars are well proportioned to the track but in sight cockpit (view advanced to the dashboard) on a screen of 6 meters, the cockpit measures 3 meters wide. This is not very realistic in visual.
    What are the parameters that can correct this (realistic width cockpit)?
    Thanks in advance for the help you can bring me.

2. toebee

toebee Registered

I don't know if I am understanding you completely, but have you tried adjusting the "VERTICAL FOV" in the display settings?

3. rocketjockeyr6

rocketjockeyr6 Registered

+1 to that

Not huge, per se, but my 42" was a pretty big upgrade from my 24" ;) And the fov adjustment is what made things look right for me.

toebee likes this.
  4. Rock

Rock Registered

It will be more a horizontal FOV for the cockpit that interests me. In order to avoid a f1 of 4 meters wide.
    - Yes I tested what you propose to me but it only acts on the depth of the track.
    - For a 42 inch you can not have this problem it's way too small as display.
    In absolute I think it is necessary that suprime the cockpit and keep that the tires but I know not if it is feasible with Rfactor2.
    I think of this example ()

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
    RealGT likes this.
  5. ceecee

ceecee Registered

6. Rock

Rock Registered

thank you very much
    I will study this with great interest!

Have you found out how to leave only the tires on the runway in sight cockpit?
    Because I know it's doable on RFpro.

7. kiko0602

kiko0602 Registered

player.JSON and the line is
    "Partial Cockpit View":0,
    "Partial Cockpit View#":"0=normal cockpit view, 1=wheels & suspension only, 2=wheels only",

RealGT likes this.
  8. Rock

Rock Registered

very good! Thanks Kiko.
    For my problem you have done me a great service. At me now, with all this of optimize the look of this future mod (in progress).
    I think I can note "solved" this post.
    I will open in another section "general discussion" to gather the experience of the gamers in width big screen wth multi projector as this becomes more and more common.
    A big thank you to the community for its reactivity and pleasure to come to the aid

9. RealGT

RealGT Registered

Is there anyway to get rid of everything, including the wheels? The bumper cam is too low. The cockpit cam is perfect height but I need to be able to get rid of everything including the wheels. I modded the Json file for partial cockpit view to wheels only but want even the wheels gone. Any help is apprecaited.

10. lagg

lagg Registered

I haven't checked if it would work but you could edit the GEN and add "Render=False" to the instances that you want to hide.

RealGT likes this.
  11. RealGT

RealGT Registered

Thank you lagg, I was hoping you could tell me what is "GEN". I've been looking for a while now and can't find a "GEN" file in my rfactor2 install. Many many thanks.

12. Rock

Rock Registered

Hello RealGT
    I took an example in the standard mod with the download - Corvette PC. Open with Mas2 in the folder "Tool"
    car-Gen.jpg

lagg and RealGT like this.
  13. lagg

lagg Registered

Ah, sorry.
    I supossed that being the post in the modding section you'd know what it is.
    You have to create your own version of the car.
    One important thing is that you can't enter with this version of the car in any server and is only for personal use.
    In the folder ..\rFactor 2\Installed\Vehicles\YourCar\ there must be one or more subfolders with the version of the car.
    Go to the biggest version
    There should be a file called Main.mas or TheNameOfTheCar.mas or something similar.
    Open this .mas with the ..\rFactor 2\Support\Tool\MAS2.exe (or the x64 one)
    Extract all the files of the .mas in a folder
    There is the .gen file.
    Open it with a text eitor.
    There will be a lot of lines that begin with "MeshFile"
    For example
    Code:
    MeshFile=LeftTire.GMT  CollTarget=False HATTarget=False ShadowCaster=(True, Solid) Reflect=True
    Add the Render state
    Code:
    MeshFile=LeftTire.GMT  CollTarget=False HATTarget=False  ShadowCaster=(True, Solid) Reflect=True Render=False
    Save the gen file
    Click in File - New in the Mas2.exe
    Drag and drop all the files of the folder to the Mas2.exe and save the .mas file
    Then you have to package your version of the car including this .mas and the rest of the .mas of the version folder of the beginning of the post. Don't include the .mas that you have extracted (Main.mas or TheNameOfTheCar.mas).
    If you don't know how to package the car, tell us the car and we'll try to help.

Good luck

RealGT and Rock like this.
  14. RealGT

RealGT Registered

Ah so you have to edit every vehicle individually? I open the file location of the car and I don't see any GEN file, only MAS files, DDS, TGA, etc. But no GEN.

Thanks!

15. RealGT

RealGT Registered

Thank you for your response and apologies, I am very very new to rFactor. I guess what I'm saying is that there is no way to get rid of the tires unless I create a car I can't use online? Is there a way to edit the bumper cam so it is not so low? The main goal is to get a clean camera with no vehicle elements showing as I am in a full size Porsche cockpit with triple projectors. I can't show any car elements as I am already in a real car in front of a giant screen.

But the bumper camera is too low and I need to be able to move it a little higher. Here is the project in Assetto Corsa. I need to be able to edit the camera like in Assetto Corsa to be a little higher than the bumper.

I went through the steps you outlined, thank you. It seems it is a tad beyond my scope of my knowledge. Any help to this end is appreciated. Thank you!

Unfortunately I could not find the .gen file. Most of the extracted files are DDS or TGA

Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
  16. lagg

lagg Registered

AFAIK you need to open the car to change te cameras position (and then you can't use it in online)
    I don't know if it's possible to do this in a different way.
    Sorry

RealGT likes this.
  17. RealGT

RealGT Registered

I'm totally OK with not using it online, this is for my prototype cockpit. :)

I'm opening the car files with the MAS editor but don't see a .GEN file anywhere unfortunately. I will do this the way you tell me too as you are the expert and I am the student. :)

Can you show me where I can see the camera in the car file so I may edit it's height? Thank you again so much and apologies for the bother.

18. lagg

lagg Registered

Hahaha Not at all!
    Which car are you trying to edit?

RealGT likes this.
  19. RealGT

RealGT Registered

GTPC P930 Porsche 911

20. lagg

lagg Registered

Is this from the workshop?

RealGT likes this.